Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

2 Antique guns I recently came across...

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Justin689, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Justin689

Justin689 New Member

Hello,

I recently came across these two guns below. I have more pictures if asked for. Trying to find out what time period they are from. The maker of them. Also an idea of the value of them if anyone has an idea please e-mail me at Justin689@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Justin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Justin689

Justin689 New Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009

3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not much help but here's what I see. Maybe others who spend more time around antique muzzleloaders can help more.

The caplock rifle:
    (It's a caplock or percussion lock) does look like it has a name on the lock plate. Looks like ?harp?? and then is rather faded. There also look to be a couple of proofmark type stamps on the left side of the barrel back near the lock mechanism. Can you get some close-ups of those markings?

The flintlock pistol:
    The ELG marking looks like a Belgian proofmark, so that probably pegs it as from that country. There were many different makers, many of them that didn't sign their work with a name. Those other markings might help ID a maker or at least town of manufacture if someone can ID them.

4. Justin689

Justin689 New Member

ok thanks for the help. I will get better pictures of that area it says sharpe on the long rifle but looks like it was engraved by hand? Was that normal for that time period?