2# Trigger on Kimber

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Cobra54
    (2/25/02 9:48:58 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All How to? 1.5-2 lb. trigger on Kimber
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Kimber Eclipse II, the full size model, that I use to shoot in simple target events. I added a Bushnell Holosight this weekend and would like to "lighten" the trigger further. I did attempt this a month ago, getting the pull down to approximately 2 1/4 however, after a couple hundred rounds the grip or backstrap safety wasn't operating properly so I played some more and now have the safety(s) working but trigger pull is around 3-3 1/4 lbs. I understand that you can purchase replacement spring sets - backstrap spring, hammer and trigger that allow you to lower trigger pull but have also heard that the sets only "allow" you to go down to 3 lbs. - heck, I'm already there. Am I wasting my time trying to get down to 1 1/2 - 2 or is there a spring set I can purchase and install?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/02 9:54:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: How to? 1.5-2 lb. trigger on Kimber
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your target pull weight is somewhat unrealistic given the design. It can be done, but reliability begins to suffer. I have seen 1911 pattern guns with pulls in the 1-lb range but they had their grip safeties deactivated, titanium internals, custom springs, etc. Even so, they occasionally suffered from hammer follow.

3-3.5 lbs is really the ideal weight for a 1911 trigger in a competition gun. 5 lbs for a carry/duty gun.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Cobra54
    (2/25/02 10:37:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How to? 1.5-2 lb. trigger on Kimber
    Thanks - I'll stick with the 3 - 3 1/4 I've got.

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/25/02 10:47:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: How to? 1.5-2 lb. trigger on Kimber
    Sounds like you have been tuning the sear spring. While this helps, you can have some problems as Antique Dr states. Try a Wilson Combat "Reduced Power" mainspring. Wilson advertises a 25% reduction. This should make some difference.