The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for a Savage in 20 Practical. I purchased a Redding S neck bushing die in .223. >.232 and .228 bushings. No problem except I cannot resize the entire neck length...thus a dummy round will not chamber. Am I doing something wrong? I seems like the die is too long for the .223 case.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I don't have first-hand experience with the .20 Practical, but I do have some Redding bushing dies for a couple cartridges I load for.
Looking at the case drawings, there is no length difference between the .223 and .20Practical necks or cases so there shouldn't be an overall length problem...after all the .223 is the parent case for the .20Practical.

How much of the neck is not being resized?
If it's just the very last .010" or a bit less, then that's probably how the die itself is built. I can't speak for the .22 cal dies, but on the 6mmRem die that I've got, there is a very short flat area between the case shoulder and the cavity where the bushing is seated. This makes for a tiny little unsized ridge at the base of my 6mmRem brass and kinda sounds like what you're describing. It was explained to me that that tiny unsized portion is what centers the case neck in the chamber. It does take a bit more force to close the bolt compared to using regular FL sized brass but it's not a problem on my rifles. Maybe this is what you're encountering?

Otherwise, about the only thing that I can think of that might help is to see if the bushings are seating all the way into the die? If not, then the case will bump the shoulder inside the die before the neck is fully sized by the bushing and leave an even larger unsized portion.

As a side note, I'm assuming that you also have the .17/.20 caliber decapping stem? A .20 caliber neck expander will not fit the .22 decapper stem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts