2020 Garden Thread... Vegetables, Fruit, and Flowers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rae Harrison, May 6, 2020.

1. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mrs. Fishing's herbs, Romaine lettuce and tomatoes have done pretty well; squash not so much. Still waiting on the peppers.

mudman35962 and sharps4590 like this.
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

August 1 update;
    My season started strong, but as other's were posting theirs kind of sucked, mine was turning south.
    Tomatoes are still rolling. Well over 8 feet now and loaded. Been harvesting for about 10 days. Watermelon look pretty good to.
    Pumpkins and cukes? Great vines. Some pumpkin vines are 20 feet long. Same with cukes, glorious vines. But, very, very little fruit on either. Been hot and dry, figured the vines would love it and tomatoes would suffer. Nope, just the opposite.

mudman35962 likes this.

3. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

for birds. hang a CD disk on a fish swivel near the fig trees. works for me.

rick

BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.
  4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

CC, I don't know how the soils are in Maine but here, if your plants are "all tops and no taters" it usually a sign the "P" in your "NPK" is too low and they're using all the nitrogen to grow the greenery and not the fruit. (ONE OF THE DAYS I AM GOING TO REMEMBER WHICH IS "P" AND WHICH IS "K"!!!!!....:mad: You'd think after 60 years I'd remember!)

CCHolderinMaine likes this.
  5. CCHolderinMaine

K-Potassium P=Phosphorous. EDIT...just remember your periodic table K=potassium
    Yes, I'm into what's going on, which is why it's surprising me. They bloomed like crazy, just didn't set fruit. I suspect I screwed them as during bloom time I was forced to irrigate. I don't have a farm pond, so my water comes out of the cold Maine ground. I run 100 feet of extra hose to try and warm it up, I think I shocked the heck out of them :(

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    sharps4590 likes this.
  6. sharps4590

I understand. 2 inches of well water doesn't do as much good as 1/2 in. of rain. The well water does serve to keep stuff alive but that seems to be about it. Works the same here.

CCHolderinMaine likes this.
  7. CCHolderinMaine

Always figured well water would be superior to chlorinated public, doesn't seem to work that way. The oldtimers tell me it's the cold and it sure makes sense. My well water comes out in the 40's. I water right before sunrise so none is on the plants under full sun. I run a total of about 150 feet of hose, 100 of which is extra loops over pavement or black plastic. It still instantly drives away any bees and the plants just sit and sulk for 24-48 hours after "treatment". Even the smallest farms that don't have natural ponds pump it out of the ground and into a man made one before going onto the plants. I think that's why it seems to be the same wherever you go. The relative difference from ground water to air temp is probably similar.
    Mother nature knows best, it's all guesswork for us humans :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 2:40 PM
    sharps4590 likes this.
  8. sharps4590

When we had our "pick-ur-own" I watered out of our pond. It was a 200 ft. uphill run with a 2 inch line but a 4 horse pump handled it. I burned up a 2 horse. We could run 10 sprinklers at a lick. About 15 miles west of us there was a BIG truck farmer and he did as you described, pumped from a well into about a half acre pond...I have no idea how deep it was but probably not that deep....and he watered his truck patches out of it.