22-250 at 800yds

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Tony22-250, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Not to long ago i had the privilege of shooting at 800 yards with my Remington 700 in 22-250 and it preformed better than expected using factory Remington 55gr ammo with a 1-14 twist barrel and a basic 4-12x40 Bushnell scope and Harris Bi pod.

The day was very windy with gusts up to 15 mph over the lake we were shooting over, accompanied with 3 directional winds, no value at the firing position full value at the half way point heading north east and another wind to account for at the target blowing about 8-10 at the target heading south east. I corrected for drop using ballistic charts form http://www.ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/bcalculator.cgi?sn=LWNSORUwwo and i did not take in to account for any wind on this chart only drop. I than used data from an old .308 ballistics table for wind and added about 15 clicks to the right due to the lower BC of the .224 round. I than held my sights center on the 32" target and squeezed the trigger ever so slowly. As the round left i watched the bullet leave a wake flying far right in to the wind curving back to the left and down toward the target and dropping short and to the left in to the lake, Cycled my bolt quickly and got another round off holding what i assumed was 2 mils high 2 mils right (don't have mil dots on my scope) before the wind changed than fired another shot. after the long walk back around the lake to the target we found 2 shots placed on target one at the 11 O'clock and one at the 9 O'clock positions on target which was surprising firing a 55 grain factory bullet with only a BC .197 in 15 mph winds. My rifle preformed better than expected in unfavorable conditions and if you ever have the chance purchase a Remington 700 in 22-250!

[​IMG]

Shooting Location: Temple GA
    Distance:800 Yards
    Zero: 100 Yards
    Drop (in): -240.7
    Drop (MOA): -28.7
    Velocity (FPS): 959.1
    Mach: 0.858
    Energy (ft•lbs): 112.3
    Flight time (s): 1.418
    [​IMG]

2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hey Tony,man thats some good shooting. In the past I have used 3 diffrent 22-250 a savage, winchester,and in 04 I bought a Remington 700. I know its the best Ive used, with the simmons scope on it I have taken Coyotes at 300 - 400 yds easy. I never thought about shooting at 800yds but with the new hand loads I got were looking for a spot to try it. Good post, thanx !

3. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I looked this location up on Google Earth and there are residences a hundred yards beyond your target. I would not shoot under these circumstances. If I lived in one of those trailers I would call the law and insist they make you stop shooting. Unless you hit my trailer in which case I would shoot back, but not with a 22-250. Very irresponsible.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

oh no that bank on the side of the lake is very high (aprox 50ft above the water) and we are shooting about 20 feet down to the target over the lake if i were to attempt to hit a house/trailer it would have to be on a high parabolic arc not at the angle we are shooting at. Even if some how we aimed WAY over the target, well beyond my scopes range of MOA, or had an accidental discharge my round would go over the houses and over the property owners house and over 1-2 miles and end up in a forest or field some where. also you cant hear the shots from that distance from behind the embankment and you cant see any thing through the wood line. not to mention the property owner lives in one of those houses.

6. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I am looking at the contour intervals and I see that if not for the woods you would be able to see the trailers from your firing position. You cannot depend on on 400 feet of woods to stop a bullet. Woods look solid but they are actually composed of individual trees and there are gaps between the trees. Your target is 50 or so feet below the trailers, that is 120 minutes of angle. That is equal to ten feet at a hundred yards. Would you stand 10 feet off a target at 100 yards while someone shoots at it? You are quite willing to put innocent strangers in that position. I see hundreds of residences beyond your backstop. You are trusting luck that an accidental shot will hit some forest or field and not one of these residences. The fact that an accidental shot might hit and kill the property owner or a member of his family is only proof that he is as foolish and irresponsible as you.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  7. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

I think you have it wrong my friend. in no way are my rounds going to go over that berm you have not seen the shot location in person and Google earths display of elevation when you scroll over a location is not as accurate as it should be because that berm is 50 feet high... so what your saying is that the local shooting range (across the street) that has a 100 yard range and a 6 foot berm is being irresponsible for their practices as well? Because they have houses and trailers only 300 yards from the firing line not 1000 where im shooting fom.

[​IMG]

8. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

The way your rounds are going over the berm is by accident. Maybe you don't have accidents or make mistakes but other people do. The maximum lethal range of a 30-06 is 6,000 yards, the maximum lethal range of your 22-250 is probably 3,500 to 4,000 yards. If you hit someone at 1,000 yards with a 22-250 they are dead meat. The 100 yard range you have marked here is not safe. To build a 100 yard rifle range with a six foot or even ten foot berm without baffles and with houses downrange is insane.

9. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Suwannee Tim, firearms are dangerous if not used properly by inexperienced people and even some trained professionals such as this DEA agent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY). Yes accidents do happen but may I also remind you that I am no novice when it comes to firearms, safety, and ballistics. I do not keep my firearm loaded until I'm ready to fire and do not aim my firearm at any thing I intend to kill or destroy, I keep my finger off the trigger at all times until I am ready to fire. I also shoot with some of the finest marksmen that have served in the armed forces for many years who also practice safe shooting. So if we felt in any way we were intentionally endangering people lives we would not use this range or the local shooting range.

As for the local shooting range they have had mishaps in the past due to people carelessly rapid firing "handguns" and having rounds enter people houses more than 2 miles away. Many fire arms that have the capability of reaching much farther with max effective ranges out to over or close to a mile and have much farther lethal ranges have been fired at this range such as .338 Lapua (max effective range 1300 yards), 300 win mag and short mag, 7mm rem mag, .338 win, 7.62x54R, and even 375 H&H. Rules have been instated and enforced not allowing you to fire rapidly with a hand gun and also you must have your rifle hitting inside of a 10 inch circle at 50 yards before you can advance to 100 yards. You may also not walk around on the range with a closed bolt/action on your firearm. Advanced bullets has been around for more than 40 years and has not been closed due to so called unsafe practices. http://www.advancedbullets.com/

For my rifle at 800 yards we first sighted it in at 100 which was key holing shots than we moved to 450 and were putting shots on an 11 inch steel plate shooting in the direction of the wind with 4 in a group of about 4 1/2 inches and 1 flyer due to initial corrections. We than proceed to the 800 yard mark and put 2 of 3 shots on a 32x32 inch target. Now my question is how am i going to fire a shot that is off by 120 MOA when my shots are not varied by more than 14 MOA in 15mph cross winds???

Accidents can happen any where and to anyone that's why they are called accidents. They can happen in the middle of nowhere while hunting and they do this is the risk of any firearm take for example Dick Cheney.

10. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Well, good luck in finding a range any where in which you are more than 6000 yard away from something. A 50 high bank being shot down on, I'm sure is plenty safe. Especially with how much bullet drop there is at that range beyond that. Don't worry about it.

11. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

Thanks GMFWoodchuck well put. only place your going to find that is out in the desert, or in the mid west.

12. okeeemt

okeeemt New Member

i was about to go ding ding ding. And let you guys fight it out. geeez. I do the samething i shot at a lake bank and i believe it is plenty safe. Also i have savage 22-250 bvss with a 26 inch luted bull barrel and i love it

13. Tony22-250

Tony22-250 New Member

yeah im thinking of converting my Remington 700 to a 26 inch fluted bull with a 1/8 or 1/7 twist but I can not find one any where. If i were to purchase one i would get a Macmillan A-5 stock, but what i did find is this one below a 26 inch with varmint taper but its only a 1/10 twist.

http://bergarabarrels.com/remington-rifle-barrels.html

14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Tony,

You're talking about a project I've been wanting to try for several years; building a .22-250 specifically for the 80 grain plus bullets. I think that it would do quite well out to 1,000 yards and be quite competitive in long range matches. Here is a link to my favorite barrel maker, they definitely have what you're looking for.

http://www.pac-nor.com/

Also, if you're going with a McMillian stock, take a look at their "Prone" model; I have one on my .308 match rifle and really like it.

15. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Like I said, I'm sure you don't have accidents but other people do. The range I shoot at, Gateway Rifle Pistol Club in Jacksonville Florida installed baffles 20 yards from the firing line. They expected them to catch an occasional bullet. They were horrified to find they were catching lots and lots of bullets, any one of which could kill someone. That is what got me thinking about what is a mile or three behind the berm. If you think your knowledge of ballistics and firearms is going to help you when you hurt someone, you are wrong. It will actually work against you as the plaintiff's attorney will demonstrate you should have known better. As far as finding a site for a range with little or nothing downrange for three or four miles, here in Duval County there are several such places and this is by no means a sparsely populated county. Sad to say GRPC is not so located. As far as being unsafe, one excuse is as good as another and when you kill someone they are all equally worthless.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009