The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's yer feeling on the 22-250, and what are some typical uses.

There is one for sale or trade near me.. and I have a seldom shot 25-06 or a older mb bolt 30-06 i could trade. the 25-06 would be a straight up deal.. it's a savage 110.. decent shape. the MD is older with darkend wood, and missing some finish but 100% mechanical condition.. that would require a lil cash outlay, or ammo (cash value) and gun.

opinions.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No first hand experience with either, but I think 22-250 is for varmint hunters that might feel .223 is inadequate for the particular job. 25-06 being right there with .243 in performance (25-06 = neckdown 30-06, and .243 = necked down .308) Round perfectly suitable for deer. You can find 30-06 rounds a whooole lot cheaper than 22-250 and 25-06 though.

·
Administrator
33,432 Posts
The .22-250 is my favorite small round. It's a great varmint cal and can be very accurate when handloaded in that mod 110.

I shot a Crow off a fence post with mine at 401 yds according to the rangefinder.

·
Registered
603 Posts
For overall versatility the 25-06 can't be beat. You can shoot varmints, deer and antelope with that cartridge where the 22-250 is really only good for varmints. It does not retain energy as well and is subject to wind drift at long range. It's a great cartridge, but I personally like the .243 better.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
As the others have already posted, the .22-250 is at it's finest hour shooting varmints. It's an excellent long-range varmint caliber. I know folks (Bindernut raises his hand meekly from the back row) that have used it on whitetails...but it's definitely not ideal for the task as there aren't any decent .224" bullets that will perform good on deer at .22-250/.220Swift velocities.
It's my all-time favorite varmint/coyote cartridge. I've taken many yotes with it out past 400yds with no problem anchoring them. Yeah, the .243 has more steam left at long-range...but it's a lot harder on the pelt and I'm a hide hunter.

How does it compare to the .222?
About 600fps faster with like weight bullets.
Roughly 500ft/lbs more muzzle energy and much less drop at long range...This is comparing the two with a 50gr BTSP bullet with a BC of 0.255.
Burns about 1.5x as much powder to get that added velocity.
The .222 is a good 200-300yd varmint cartridge. The .22-250 will let you stretch that range out to 400ydsor beyond.

Back to your .25-06...
If I was forced to a single cartridge for the upper midwest from varmints to deer (and even elk), I would choose the .25-06. In fact it was my only centerfire rifle for several years after my shop fire.
The .25-06 outclasses the .243 by a wide margin. It is more comparable to the .270Win than the little 6mms.
That would be my keeper out of the two "trading material" rifles you mentioned. But...that's just me too. Your needs might be completely different.

·
Registered
19,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well.. i already have a 222.. and I don't make over 200yd shots.. so sounds like 222 handles my varmint shooting.

the 25-06 is nice.. I like it. will for sure keep it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well said, Binder!

I too have a liking for the 25-06 and someday I'll get one. The 22-250 is a great 'dog and 'yote gun, and you can use to kill bigger animals. I shot a big hog with one when coyote hunting years ago; it did the job but I had to shoot him A LOT! Penetration was around 4 inches with Hornady VMAX handloads. I cut a major vein in his neck (third or fourth shot) and he finally trundled to a stop. Good thing 'cause my gun went "click" on the fifth shot......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.