The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed all the stores have been out of 22 long-rifle but 22 magnum is always available every place I've been.I thought more people shoot the magnum rounds but I guess not.I really like 22 magnum guns,I must be in the minority.

P.S.That .17 HMR is available in large quanities as well.I never shot any of that round but seens to be similar to the 22 mag.

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
I have had mixed results looking for 22 WMR

I just bought a 22 mag rifle and I already had several boxes of plane jane 45 gr HP but I wanted some premium stuff for hunting
I went to 3 stores and just found a lgs that just got in some Hornady Vmax

I also see where CTD has some 22 mag but not the stuff I'm looking for right now

one store said things are going to get better in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I'm about ready to buy the .22 mag cylinder for the Heritage revolver just so I can get ammo for it...I'm sitting real good on the .22LR but not gonna shoot it up until this hornet's nest settles back down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Love a 22 mag...........my first rifle with a scope was a 22 mag Mossberg Chuckster...........It was a death machine on ground-hogs..........In my opinion no rimfire arsenal is complete without one. I know I surely love my little Savage sporter..........One fine little light weight woods walker...........redworm.......

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i was just at a rural king store in jeff,indiana and they have tons of 22lr.at the same day i went to bass pro and they had none. old semperfi

·
Armed Infidel
1,470 Posts
Same here. Local store had all ammo in all sizes and lots of it. Cabelas had not one round of .22LR.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Curious minds wonder what the price difference is between these stores. Small shops tend to be a bit higher, as they don't get the volume of a Cabelas or Wally World. Or, some folks could just be too lazy to seek out alternative sources for their ammo. At the new prices, you sure build points faster at Cabelas.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the Las Vegas and Pahrump valley Southern Nevada area,Sportsmans Warehouse,Big-5,Wally World and Bass Pro Shops are my source for 22lr.As previously stated they have been out for 3 weeks or so.Some does trickle in on there shipment days but ammo hounds are there right at the store opening in the morning and buy it all in minutes.My son bought a brick of American Eagle 40 grain high velocity for $35.00 yesterday at a pawn store.I hope the days of $19.99 500 round bricks aren't over.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I feel for y'all that are having trouble with quantities and prices. Still plenty here at normal prices. Picked up some 00 buck this morning $3.95/box of 5. :)

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Glad I stocked up after the run in 08. One area gunshop is selling bulk 550 rd .22 ammo for $60. a box. And folks are flocking to buy it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's just plain dumb. Just wait a couple of weeks and you'll get it for $20. Lol I still have one of those 550 round boxes of Federal .22 LR I bought for $7 about 12 years ago for my Rem 522 Viper. Stored them dry and they shoot like new.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Do hardware stores still carry ammo?I dont mean menards or homedepot or Lowes.I mean your smaller stores.Like DO IT YOUR SELF,ACE,TRUEVALUE.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've heard some do but I've never looked there myself

I'm hearing the ammo is out there if you look hard, its just a matter of how much you want to pay

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
I'm about ready to buy the .22 mag cylinder for the Heritage revolver just so I can get ammo for it...I'm sitting real good on the .22LR but not gonna shoot it up until this hornet's nest settles back down.
I have an old Western style 6 shooter w/.22LR/.22MAG cylinders, I like the hitting power of the .22MAG over the .22LR naturally.....which I gave to my wife as an upstairs BUG. (with hollow points)

I do believe the ammo factories out there must be cranking up production...and they are businessmen too to get a good profit but soon the shelves should fill back up.

·
Premium Member
21,004 Posts
I was able to pick up 300 rounds today. It was the 1st 22 rounds I have seen in a month. They only had 12 boxes with a limit of 5 of any round. I bought 3 100 round boxes of .22, 1 box of 44 mag and one box of 9 mil. That was my limit.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i was just at a rural king store in jeff,indiana and they have tons of 22lr.at the same day i went to bass pro and they had none. old semperfi
if they have lots of it on the shelf BUY it before it goes away and i will buy it from u,,, almost impossible to find here in cali since the obam-bam scare started

·
Registered
18,740 Posts
i have a 22mag pistol.. but rarely shoot it.

no 22 of any sort available now. used to have a box of shorts on the shelf at wm.. no more.

17hmr is still hanging in there.

might have to get a gun that chambers that if I want to continue going to the range.. :(

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
they got lots of it for sale on g*nbr*k*r.com... but you pay about $15 per hundred plus shipping... 555 Winchester boxes going for $75 :(

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was in the local Walmart Saturday and bought 2 550 count boxes of Federal lr for $40. They had quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts