The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the gun show in chico (calif) yesterday,, didnt get there till about 11 am,, talked to several people walking out and all they could do was rant about the prices of ammo,,, so why did u buy it- - - cause i wanted it !!
prices on most firearms totally insane,,
prices on ammo even worse- - - plane old 22 only found 2 guys with any one guy only had 2 boxes left $8.00 each,, about 4 spaces down guy had about 2 dozen boxes $15.00 each,, asked him why he was trying to rape people with his prices. was told IF U DONT WANT IT FXXX OFF AND GET AWAY FROM MY TABLE !!!!
I wrote down the name of his shop and will make it a point to NEVER shop with him and will tell everyone i know ...
our friends the dealers ?? who depend on us to stay in business !! and this is how they are going to treat us ,,
I know not all are like this JERK,, and it is not their fault that the idiots are trying to hoard stuff,, or that the manufacturers are not able to keep up with demand,,,
COME ON FOLKS,, LETS ALL TRY TO HELP OUR FELLOW SHOOTERS,,, DONT LET THE O'BAM BAM RETORIC DRIVE US ALL TO ACT LIKE RETARDED ROCKS (NO DISRESPECT MENT TO THE ROCKS) HE AINT GONNA SHUT DOWN THE MANUFACTUREING OF BULLETS ,, he may slow it BUT WITH ALL THE CRAZY BUYING GOING ON "" WHEN SUPPLY CATCHES UP THE SHELVES WILL BE FULL AND NO ONE WILL BE BUYING !! CAUSE THEY GOT TOOO MUCH IN THE BACK ROOM !!

·
Premium Member
21,861 Posts
Just got ho,e from Cabela's. They had no .22 at all. They had plenty of 9 mil but at $33 a box. It isn't getting better around here it's a lot worse.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
No reason for him to have acted like that but maybe you shouldn't have came off as you did either? I am for a free market though. If you want to pay outrageous prices, go right ahead, I won't, but alot will. No need to mention things to dealers or shops that you don't agree with their pricing. Just make a mental note and be done with it.

As far as the ammo shortage goes, I think it's something more than just "panic buying" when CCI manufactures 4 million rounds of .22 a day, 7 days a week, and that's just one manufacture. Where's it all at, or going?

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
No reason for him to have acted like that but maybe you shouldn't have came off as you did either? I am for a free market though. If you want to pay outrageous prices, go right ahead, I won't, but alot will. No need to mention things to dealers or shops that you don't agree with their pricing. Just make a mental note and be done with it.

As far as the ammo shortage goes, I think it's something more than just "panic buying" when CCI manufactures 4 million rounds of .22 a day, 7 days a week, and that's just one manufacture. Where's it all at, or going?
That's what I'm wondering! CCI making 4 million rounds per day, how much is Federal, Remington, and all the other companies making? Probably way over 30 million rounds per day, and almost none of it on the shelves?

·
Registered
Guns Scare Me
7,090 Posts
Like I said before, in 2009 after this communist puppet got into office the first time he wasn't openly going after guns. Nevertheless, ammo became scarce until about September of 2009 for even .22 LR in my area. This time, he's openly going after guns. The availability is MUCH worse this time. I have no clue when supply will be freed up but looking at some of the back order estimates from online retailers, I'd guess that we might see a restocking of the shelves possibly as late as mid-2014. Yeah, it could be that bad or worse!

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's what I'm wondering! CCI making 4 million rounds per day, how much is Federal, Remington, and all the other companies making? Probably way over 30 million rounds per day, and almost none of it on the shelves?
Yeah something stinks here! You cant hide facts. Where's it all at! Can't blame the govt buying 22lr rounds.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Like I said before, in 2009 after this communist puppet got into office the first time he wasn't openly going after guns. Nevertheless, ammo became scarce until about September of 2009 for even .22 LR in my area. This time, he's openly going after guns. The availability is MUCH worse this time. I have no clue when supply will be freed up but looking at some of the back order estimates from online retailers, I'd guess that we might see a restocking of the shelves possibly as late as mid-2014. Yeah, it could be that bad or worse!
I'm still not buying it that it's just fear mongering over bozo or his gun grabber plains. I've said it for 20 years if they really want to do away with guns just get rid of the ammo then all you have is a club. Maybe that's just the conspiracy side of me kicking in, maybe not though?

·
Registered
Guns Scare Me
7,090 Posts
Hoarding... It's like this. Manufacturers produce only at a rate to optimize their steady state normal demand. They do this for cost control reasons. When huge spikes in demand occur, they don't have the excess capacity to respond to that heightened market demand. Believe me, I worked in manufacturing for the better part of my career and in every industry it's the same. With efficiency becoming so critical to the the ability for US manufacturers to compete with low-cost manufacturers abroad, there's literally no margin for over-production in times of high demand. If a machine is sitting around idle with an operator twiddling their thumbs it's time to either sell or depreciate and scrap the machine and eliminate the operator position. That's just reality. So, I believe what's going on. You see it in every industry.

I'm still not buying it that it's just fear mongering over bozo or his gun grabber plains. I've said it for 20 years if they really want to do away with guns just get rid of the ammo then all you have is a club. Maybe that's just the conspiracy side of me kicking in, maybe not though?
While I agree with the premise of what you're saying about limiting ammo, today's manufacturing realities are that there is no excess capacity in a highly-efficient manufacturing environment. With Lean Sigma, Kaizen, etc... Every manufacturer is chasing after that next strategy to produce optimally in a steady-state market. That means that you have no excess capacity because those resources are wasteful in a normal market environment.

·
Premium Member
12,996 Posts
I refuse to get involved in EITHER side of this market. I am glad to see ARs are coming down now. On average, you can buy them on auction sites for 1050.00-1100.00 instead of the 1500-2000.00 they were going for. I still wont pay any inflated prices no matter what.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
I refuse to get involved in EITHER side of this market. I am glad to see ARs are coming down now. On average, you can buy them on auction sites for 1050.00-1100.00 instead of the 1500-2000.00 they were going for. I still wont pay any inflated prices no matter what.
Me either. I'll buy when and if I find it at normal prices, but that's becomming quite rare.

What i'm getting a kick out of and frustrated at the same time is people calling me at leist once a week asking me if i'd sell this or that. Their the same people that called me crazy a year ago for buying all that ammo. :D

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Ammo goes from the manufacturer to large distributors and then to retail. Figure from the time it leaves the factory to when it get's to retail outlets about 6-8 weeks, minimum. If it's coming from Europe (like Brenneke slugs, double that). We're dealing with the logistics of distribution. Be patient. And the same applies to upstream raw materials coming into the manufacturer. Lead, copper, brass, powder, etc. are all being stressed to the max. There is zero buffer inventory throughout the chain right now.

·
Registered
Guns Scare Me
7,090 Posts
Ammo goes from the manufacturer to large distributors and then to retail. Figure from the time it leaves the factory to when it get's to retail outlets about 6-8 weeks, minimum. If it's coming from Europe (like Brenneke slugs, double that). We're dealing with the logistics of distribution. Be patient.
Read what I wrote above. I agree to some extent with you but the manufacturers also don't have 5 times the amount of machines and operators just laying around not being utilized for when demand goes berserk every once in a blue moon. That's just not how competitive manufacturers work these days. Logistics would be the bottleneck if manufacturers kept a large surplus of inventory on the shelves and could just ship that surplus inventory at will. That's not the case with any competitive manufacturer these days because of manufacturing strategies that keep them very lean on inventory. Just-in-time manufacturing strategies have made a surplus in inventory unacceptable if you want to compete while manufacturing in the US market.

Manufacturers have tried to be more flexible by using temporary workers that they can hire and fire at will to accommodate for the unexpected but there are labor regulations on the use of those workers in what they're doing, as compared to a full-time employee. Still, I don't see any of them getting around the issue of having excess functioning equipment on the shop floor. That's just not reality.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Read what I wrote above. I agree to some extent with you but the manufacturers also don't have 5 times the amount of machines and operators just laying around not being utilized for when demand goes berserk every once in a blue moon. That's just not how competitive manufacturers work these days. Logistics would be the bottleneck if manufacturers kept a large surplus of inventory on the shelves and could just ship that surplus inventory at will. That's not the case with any competitive manufacturer these days because of manufacturing strategies that keep them very lean on inventory. Just-in-time manufacturing strategies have made a surplus in inventory unacceptable if you want to compete while manufacturing in the US market.

Manufacturers have tried to be more flexible by using temporary workers that they can hire and fire at will to accommodate for the unexpected but there are labor regulations on the use of those workers in what they're doing, as compared to a full-time employee. Still, I don't see any of them getting around the issue of having excess functioning equipment on the shop floor. That's just not reality.
Agreed. There are many facets to it. I was up to my neck in this kind of thing before I retired from Boeing. :)

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
who woulda thought before December that 0.22LR would be like gold during the next ammo shortage? i totally missed it, but wont be caught short again
I have been saying for some time now that ammo will one day be more valuable than gold. While I don't think this is that time yet, I do believe that it is getting closer. Take a close look at the "Great Depression". Then compare the figures to todays world in America. This is not a recession that we are in, and there are many economists that think the same way I do. And with our debt, both public, and private, things are going to get a lot worse. I thought I was ready, but I need to double, or tripple, my stock of ammo!

Top Economists Say It's a Depression http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/05/krugman-and-shiller-were-in-a-depression.html

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I got more 22's than I'll ever use the rest of my days on this earth, a few ammo cans full, bought it 10-15 years back and glad I did. Honestly though, I shoot the 6.8 more than any of the 22s.

I don't buy into the govt plots much anymore, maybe I'm wrong but really believe it's just hoarding and will be completely gone by nx summer; just like every other time there have been shortages in the past.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I got 4 boxes of 325 rounds of CCI 22lr at my LGS last week. Thirty one $$ a box.
It is all called timing
I just saw a brick of 500 going for $80.00 on a auction site the other day. I am glad that I have about 3000 rounds left from about 15 years ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.