The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never saw or shot a CB before. My toy store had a pile of Remington 22 CBee's on the counter and I mentioned I had never heard of them so he put a box of them on top of the stuff I had just bought and said try them.

I did and myfirst try was with my old Savage single shot bolt action shooting offhand at 25 yards. I was impressed. Not with my shooting but the low noise level and that accuracy of that tiny 33 grain bullet. Without adjusting the sights it shot to point of aim and made me look good. The fliers are on me.

Last night I thought I would try them again before I went and got some more of them only this time I have to pay for them. It stopped raining so I shot these in my Ruger single 6 at 15 yards 1630 hours last night. it was overcast and so dark I could barely see the target but I could see the sights just fine so I shot. Again, the fliers are on me not the gun or the ammo, I knew when I fired a bad shot. I could really get to like this ammo. From a rest and a scoped gun I expect to look real good.

Signing off now, I gotta go to the store.

·
Banned
284 Posts
I was thinking of trying these in my '36 Target Master. Thanks for the info and showing your results. You shoot pretty well in the dark for your age. :)

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Hey Grump, what's with that age crack????:lmao2:

I've had a brick of those around for years but never used them for any thing other than firing into the bullet trap in the basement. Range distance is only about thirty feet but the reduce noise is a real treat indoors and doesn't get the neighbors in a tizzy.

Nice shooting.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of trying these in my '36 Target Master. Thanks for the info and showing your results. You shoot pretty well in the dark for your age. :)
When I was in New Mexico I did 90% of my jackrabbit hunting by moonlight because that is when they were the most active. You might say it was a 2 1/2 year low light training session. As an electrician they don't call you till the lights are out so you get used to groping around in strange dark places.

I try to keep up with my low light shooting skills because I know my eyes cant do what they used to be able to do 40 years ago. If that skill is ever needed it will be at dark thirty at night and I prefer to be better prepared than boogerman. The man who only shoots in good light and shirtsleeve conditions will be handicapped if it comes down to wet, cold, windy and dark. I'm already old and crippled, I have to have some advantage so I will take it wherever I can get it.

Doesn't always work out. last week I shot my Mosin Nagant offhand at 50 yards on an overcast snowy day in 23 degree weather I was shooting at a 4" bullseye target like the one pictured in my first post and hit the damn paper 3 times out of 10 shots, only one shot in the black. I have to work on that, I used to be able to do it at 200 yards but that was in 1973. Wha' happen!!! :eek:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have used them in the past,was not impressed with the knock down power on squirrels, prefer the Remington sub-sonics.They are quiet though!:) Cliff

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i have used the cb caps for years and years,i have yet to see a tree rat that was shot in the head,like your supposed to do,recover.it tends to knock them completly off a limb. old semperfi

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
I have used the old CB Mini Caps, but that was years ago. I have seen these in the stores but never thought to try any of them. Good shooting light or dark!!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
When I was young, I hunted squirrels with nothing but shorts, and had good results. I don't know if my shooting got worse as I got older, but those shorts weren't working so well for me anymore, once I passed 30.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well I have to admit not all my shot's are head shots. They are quiet,great for shooting inside.

I have also noted that that sites need to be adjusted be it iron or scopes when using this round.

They will not eject while using semi-autos.

I must admit I have been seriously considering dedicating a single shot rifle to use for just this round,maybe another rifle...!

I would also suggest using the long rifle CB rounds so the chamber does not be get ruined

These are my opinions only, this round does have many possibilities.:) Cliff

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey Grump, if you like those Remington CB's you'll LOVE the ones that CCI make. I get quarter sized groups or less at 25 yards with a Remington 510. Oh and a short hijack, sorry to hear about our Packers. They fought a good fight. (I'm originally from Columbus, WI):D

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Hey Grump, if you like those Remington CB's you'll LOVE the ones that CCI make. I get quarter sized groups or less at 25 yards with a Remington 510. Oh and a short hijack, sorry to hear about our Packers. They fought a good fight. (I'm originally from Columbus, WI):D
The Remington 510 is a semi-auto rifle, and will shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle. Mix em or match em, it'll shot em all.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you will notice my rifle target I was shooting offhand with iron sights and 6 of my shots are covered with a quarter as I sit here typing this. I like CCI Blaser and Remington gold for my plinking out to 50 yards. CCI mini mags and Winchester Super X out to 100 yards but I haven't shot their shorts or CB's yet. When it gets over 20 degrees again I will try these from the same rifle but from a rest this time and preferably in good light. It will be interesting to see how they shoot without the human factor of bad back and weak legs playing such a big role.

Interesting, I just shifted my quarter centering it over the X ring. I cover 4 holes and 3 holes just touch the outside of the quarter making that 3 fliers not in the group. This stuff shoots better than I can give it justice. 30 years ago this group would have embarrassed me but today I'm pretty proud of it. Us old dinosaurs are easier to please then young dinosaurs. :D

Packers were playing??? I was a fan from 1959 till Thompson and McCarthy fired Bret Farve. I won't give a damn what they do till those two men are gone and the Packers become Greenbay's team again.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was slow getting to the store, they only had 300 rounds left and they are mine, all mine...hee hee hee. :cool:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
CB caps are perfect for urban neighborhoods where noise is an issue or shooting is not allowed. They are nearly silent out of a rifle!

taken lots of squirrels with them, speaking of which, I believe I am down to my last box of them. Hope I can find more after the ammo panic buying.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
maybe I shouldn't say 'urban', my idea of urban is most people's idea of the sticks out in hickville...

but they are more 'polite' if you have neighbors close by

·
Banned
284 Posts
When I was in New Mexico I did 90% of my jackrabbit hunting by moonlight because that is when they were the most active. You might say it was a 2 1/2 year low light training session. As an electrician they don't call you till the lights are out so you get used to groping around in strange dark places.

I try to keep up with my low light shooting skills because I know my eyes cant do what they used to be able to do 40 years ago. If that skill is ever needed it will be at dark thirty at night and I prefer to be better prepared than boogerman. The man who only shoots in good light and shirtsleeve conditions will be handicapped if it comes down to wet, cold, windy and dark. I'm already old and crippled, I have to have some advantage so I will take it wherever I can get it.

Doesn't always work out. last week I shot my Mosin Nagant offhand at 50 yards on an overcast snowy day in 23 degree weather I was shooting at a 4" bullseye target like the one pictured in my first post and hit the damn paper 3 times out of 10 shots, only one shot in the black. I have to work on that, I used to be able to do it at 200 yards but that was in 1973. Wha' happen!!! :eek:
Just kiddin', Bro. I feel your pain. I am wearing tri-focals now. Don't know which sight to hone in on. Oh, yeah, and see the target at the same time!! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts