The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I loaded up some 40 gr nosler varmagedan. Also I loaded up some 50 gr Hornady vmax. Well neither of them were even close to as accurate as the 35 gr Hornady vmax factory loads. So I figured I would try to bump the powder up to max. Well my nosler book says The max 12 gr of imr 4227. So I started at 10.8 and worked my way up but I cannot fit more than 11.6 gr in the case. Is there a trick to stuffing more powder in the case? Or should I not even try? Or maybe try to find a different powder? I decided to go with imr 4227 because that is the powder that is readily available. I was originally going to try lilgun but my local gun store didn’t have any. And the closest place that I can find it is 60 miles away. Does anyone else have better luck with another powder?

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Yes, the load is compressed if you try to put too much H4227 into the case. I don't like compressed loads as they, over time, may overpower the crimp or neck tension and push the bullet out some. I also don't like full loads. I like loads that give the best accuracy. More often than not that is not a full load. If you need more power buy a bigger gun with a more powerful cartridge. 22 Hornet can be a very accurate cartridge in the right gun with better bullets.

But if you insist on more velocity try Hodgdon's H110, a magnum pistol powder. The Hodgdon reloading web page lists loads for it with your 40 grain bullet that will gain you about 200 FPS.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
15,046 Posts
Charge your cases, put them in a loading block and if you have a vibrating type tumbler, hold the block against the bolt that comes through the cover. Or, use a 24 in. drop tube. One works as well as the other.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the load is compressed if you try to put too much H4227 into the case. I don't like compressed loads as they, over time, may overpower the crimp or neck tension and push the bullet out some. I also don't like full loads. I like loads that give the best accuracy. More often than not that is not a full load. If you need more power buy a bigger gun with a more powerful cartridge. 22 Hornet can be a very accurate cartridge in the right gun with better bullets.

But if you insist on more velocity try Hodgdon's H110, a magnum pistol powder. The Hodgdon reloading web page lists loads for it with your 40 grain bullet that will gain you about 200 FPS.

LDBennett
So my goal isn’t to get a higher velocity I don’t really care about velocity 0-100 yards I don’t really think the squirrel or rabbit I’m shooting at is going to care either. The only reason I’m trying higher loads is to get better accuracy. I’m thinking I’m going to have to try a different powder.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Well neither of them were even close to as accurate as the 35 gr Hornady vmax factory loads.
Do you know everything about that factory load? What powder and the weight of the powder? If you're trying to duplicate a load, you should be using every component, including the 35gr. bullet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know everything about that factory load? What powder and the weight of the powder? If you're trying to duplicate a load, you should be using every component, including the 35gr. bullet.
No I was not trying to duplicate that same load I just want the most accurate hand load I can find and it just so happens when I picked up those bullets they were the only ones I could find. I tend to like a heavier grain bullet in all my rifles so it didn’t really bother me. I think I am going to get some different powder and I just ordered some 35 gr vmax online. I’m going to try lil gun and w296 and see if I can get better accuracy out of either of them.

·
Premium Member
15,046 Posts
Joker, I've never worked with the Hornet but, it's on my bucket list. If you have any or it's available you might try 2400 or H-110...oh, I think 296 is H-110 so you're already there. Those are two powders friends of mine use with satisfaction in the Hornet. IF you can find some, SR-4759 would probably be a good one to try as well, especially as you aren't necessarily looking for top velocity. It has been discontinued but once in a while a fella comes across some at a show.

Reactions: Jokerman

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you have any or it's available you might try 2400 or H-110...oh, I think 296 is H-110 so you're already there. Those are two powders friends of mine use with satisfaction in the Hornet.
I just got back from the local gun store and they carry both h-110 and w-296 it just so happens that the 296 was $4 cheaper for a lb so I chose that. Going to work up some loads tonight i also picked up some 33 gr Speer hollow points and some 35 gr Hornady v max I ordered some online but I don’t want to wait for them to come in.

Reactions: MCSBrass

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Look at Hodgdon online load data. With a 40 gr bullet using H4227 listed 10.2 gr of powder as their max load with a chamber pressure at 43,000 CUP, and with a 50 gr bullet using H4227 listed 9.8 gr of powder with a chamber pressure at 42,000 CUP.

Just a word of caution. Most rifles built just for the 22 Hornet are not as strong an action as say a Remington 700 or a Ruger 77 or their American or a CZ. As an example, the Ruger 77/22 Hornet is based on the 77/22 rimfire action. To high a chamber pressure can possibly destroy your gun and injure you.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
A good choice is the CZ 527 for the 22 Hornet. It certainly is strong enough (offered in 223 as well as 22 Hornet and other calibers). It comes with a set trigger that can be either a field trigger with a pull in the pounds or a target trigger with a pull in ounces when "SET". The fit and finish is great (as are all CZ firearms) and it is magazine fed.

I have the previous version in 22 Hornet and it is a great gun and accurate too.

LDBennett

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
LDBennette,

A good friend of mine has a Ruger 77/22 Hornet that was re-chambered to 22 K-Hornet that when he fire forms the cases, they split the cases along the side of the case. I believe it is the lack of rigidity of the bolt causing to much set back. It is not a excessive head space problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look at Hodgdon online load data. With a 40 gr bullet using H4227 listed 10.2 gr of powder as their max load with a chamber pressure at 43,000 CUP, and with a 50 gr bullet using H4227 listed 9.8 gr of powder with a chamber pressure at 42,000 CUP.

Just a word of caution. Most rifles built just for the 22 Hornet are not as strong an action as say a Remington 700 or a Ruger 77 or their American or a CZ. As an example, the Ruger 77/22 Hornet is based on the 77/22 rimfire action. To high a chamber pressure can possibly destroy your gun and injure you.
I am using IMR 4227 not H4227 they must be different because all of my load books show 12gr of IMR 4227 being the max load for a 40 gr bullet.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Hodgdon now distributes IMR, Winchester, and their own brand powders. Several years back Hodgdon did some power label reductions. In the process W231 and HP38 became one in the same, just different labels. H4227 was discontinued and replaced with IMR4227. So if you have H4227, you have old stock. In the case of H4227 I have not been able to buy it for more than 5 years or so, maybe longer (??).

In the days when both H4227 and IMR4227 were readily available the data was different for each. Was that just lot differences? Were they actually the same powder back then? I don’t know but once my supply of H4227 was exhausted, if I had any, I would start using IMR4227 but retest so as to not exceed max loading data in my gun.

LDBennett

·
Registered
95 Posts
Could it be that your rate of twist agrees more with the short 35 grain bullets than the longer, heavier bullets?

I stay well under 50 grains in my Hornet. It likes the lighter bullets.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
most commercialy made over the counter rifles prefer lighter bullet to the heavier ones available. shoot the lightest one you can reload, bet it will give you what you want.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hornets are particular with almost everything. Bullet weight, manufacture, powder, primer, brass, seating depth. Anything and everything gives it fits.

Mine likes surplus H110, Winchester brass, Hornady bullets and Winchester pistol primers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts