The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a bunch of odds and ends ammo off a lady customer of mine whose husband had passed. In the bunch was some .22 longs. Finally had opportunity to try them in the only .22 I have, a 10/22. ..... They don't work. Appears not to be enough recoil as the ejected casing would be caught in in the bolt, but yet the bolt doesn't come back far enough to grab the next round. ..... Know a guy with a revolver so I'll give em to him.

· Premium Member
13,376 Posts
And they’ll work just fine in my Winchester 1906 too. I’m one of the few who doesn’t have a 10/22 but I’m guessing on the side of the barrel somewhere it says “22 Long Rifle”. That’s surprisingly there for a reason. 😉

· Garandaholic
9,685 Posts
And they’ll work just fine in my Winchester 1906 too. I’m one of the few who doesn’t have a 10/22 but I’m guessing on the side of the barrel somewhere it says “22 Long Rifle”. That’s surprisingly there for a reason. 😉
I don't have one either Firpo. Come to think of it, I never have. My semi-auto 22 is Dad's old Winchester Mod. 74.
Well you two are about as rare as hen's teeth! :)

Back to the OP....am I correct in my thinking that it might not be a good idea to fire shorts/longs in a revolver with a cylinder made for lr? Seems to me that might cause issues?

· Premium Member
13,376 Posts
Don’t think it would ever damage a revolver to shoot shorts or longs in a LR cylinder but a lot of it may cause a ring of lead to build up in the cylinder preventing LRs from chambering correctly. Just a good cleaning and you’d be back in business.

· Garandaholic
9,685 Posts
Don’t think it would ever damage a revolver to shoot shorts or longs in a LR cylinder but a lot of it may cause a ring of lead to behold up in the cylinder preventing LRs from chambering correctly. Just a good cleaning and you’d be back in business.
Thank you, I was wondering how the chamber might react to a bit of it being used a barrel.

· Registered
778 Posts
Well you two are about as rare as hen's teeth! :)

Back to the OP....am I correct in my thinking that it might not be a good idea to fire shorts/longs in a revolver with a cylinder made for lr? Seems to me that might cause issues?
The case length is identical for the 22 Long and the 22 Long Rifle, .613". If you shoot cartridges of different length (38 Spcl/357 mag) then you can get a build up of residue that won't allow the longer cartridge to chamber.

· GUNZILLA
9,479 Posts
.22 Revolver- no problem. Bolt. lever, pump- no problem. 10-22- yeah, problem. HOWEVER-

The Remington 550-1 and 552 had a floating chamber. Specifically designed to fire Short, Long and Long Rifle even mixed together. Mine will even cycle with CCI CB Longs.
View attachment 278385
Learned something today...thanks! May need to put feelers out for a 550 or 552. I'm considering getting rid of all my centerfire rifles and only have 22 rimfire.

· Registered
8,797 Posts
LOL, I don't sense a lot of Ruger love there Hawg?
I like some Rugers. I like the MK line of pistols. I have a Ruger AR. I don't like their revolvers, especially single actions altho I do have a Single Six .22 I tolerate. The 10/22 is an ok gun I guess but I had seven .22 rifles when I had the 10/22 and all of the others were more accurate. I don't like the mag either. Even my old Stevens 87 B outshot it. After not shooting it for 10 years or so I gave it to my niece. Yeah, yeah I know. You can't blame a whole line but I see posts all the time about how a Marlin model 60 will outshoot them and I know that to be true with the one I had. I had three model 60's. They all were more accurate. I'm not saying the 10/22 wasn't accurate because it was. It was just the least accurate .22 I had and it wasn't as much fun to shoot with the goofy mag.

· Registered
871 Posts
IMHO, Ruger 10-22 is the Barbie Doll of rifles- the doll is $2. If you want ALL of the accessories for one.... better get a second mortgage. Have about 2 dozen assorted 22s. If you want a .22, and want something other than a 10-22, either get a Marlin 39A, or for benchrest, a Mossberg 144 LSB. Both will make ya smile.

Office supplies Wood Writing implement Metal Writing instrument accessory

Wood Musical instrument Brick Brickwork Wall

1 - 20 of 45 Posts