The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
IMHO, Ruger 10-22 is the Barbie Doll of rifles- the doll is $2. If you want ALL of the accessories for one.... better get a second mortgage. Have about 2 dozen assorted 22s. If you want a .22, and want something other than a 10-22, either get a Marlin 39A, or for benchrest, a Mossberg 144 SLB. Both will make ya smile.

View attachment 278398

View attachment 278399
The thing is a 10/22 costs so much for what you get. Then you have to spend at least 100.00 more to get it to shoot with a Marlin model 60 which is a much cheaper rifle or was since they're not making them anymore.

·
Premium Member
18,280 Posts
Well you two are about as rare as hen's teeth! :)

Back to the OP....am I correct in my thinking that it might not be a good idea to fire shorts/longs in a revolver with a cylinder made for lr? Seems to me that might cause issues?
That ain't the half of it, I never intend to own one. I did have a 77/22 for quite a while but it mostly set in the safe. Traded it for a CZ-455-FS....that shoots rings around it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Back in the late 70's I bought my brother a Ithica model 37 with a slug barrel and a bird barrel. I also bought him a Ruger 10/22 and fell in love with it. With open sights I could shoot hand launched clay pigeons out of the air! Friends went out and bought one after watching my do that! I mean how much more fun can you have than that!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I bought this Savage 64 precision a few days ago. Should be here in a few days. I'll slick it up, fix the trigger, bed the stock, polish the bore and chamber, mount a scope, and do a range report in the next week or so. They aren't 99$ any more but this one is dressed up a little and still wasn't 600-800$ like some of the others are. It does not have a rotary magazine like a 10/22 or A22 👍

Might make a good cricket match gun 👀

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I bought 10/22 back when first out. I then proceeded to buy each new model that came out originally in 1960s. I never sold any of them. In last few years handed them out to family. Never had any trouble with them and they are all good minute of squirrel guns. I do still have possession of the Sporter. I have several old classic 22s also. Ruger 10/22 isn’t really a classic but it “was” a lot of 22 for the money when they came out. I’m afraid the Bean Counters at Ruger are turning it into just another 22 rifle.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Learned something today...thanks! May need to put feelers out for a 550 or 552. I'm considering getting rid of all my centerfire rifles and only have 22 rimfire.
I love my 550. Make sure you keep that floating chamber clean. Mine was frozen with crud when I got it. The guy said he couldn't get it to be reliable. The whole rifle appeared to have never ever been cleaned I soaked the whole chamber area and barrel in solvent for 2 days. Rinse it and It has been 100% since

·
Premium Member
22,037 Posts
My 10-22 has always outshot my Marlin 60. I have done some mods to my 10-22 and now it is much better. There are few mods available for the Marline 60 so there is not much you can do to improve it.

The 10-22 has a few things that are a problem. On most, the stock is too short. It also is not good for scope use. You can't get a good check weld as it is made to use iron sights. I fixed that with a Magpul stock. It has an adjustable length and is made to use with a scope. The stock trigger is junk. I put a Ruger BX trigger on mine and it made a world of difference.

The Marlin 60 scope mount is terrible. It uses the old grooved mount system that never worked very well. The trigger is almost as bad as the 10-22 trigger but no aftermarket fix is available. It needs to be cleaned much more than the 10-22 as it will start jamming after a few 100 rounds.

Don't get me wrong. I like both these rifles and take them to the range all the time.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There is stock extender for Rugers. They look like recoil pads but are rigid. Same one works on several models. I can’t figure why Ruger short stroked most all their rifles except 77 & #1. Bill must have been selling to Munchkins. Also Volquartsen Target Hammer kit will take care of trigger. So for about $50 you can take care of your 10/22 if it doesn’t suit you.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Only automatic I know of that did all flavors of 22 rimfire is a Remington 552. You change nothing you can load it up with whatever and it will just work. The wife got one back in the 70's as her first rifle, we still have it.

Shoots darn well also.

As to the 60 vs 1022 debate, the ruger won, the 60 is gone forever.....an example of the better product not winning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought a bunch of odds and ends ammo off a lady customer of mine whose husband had passed. In the bunch was some .22 longs. Finally had opportunity to try them in the only .22 I have, a 10/22. ..... They don't work. Appears not to be enough recoil as the ejected casing would be caught in in the bolt, but yet the bolt doesn't come back far enough to grab the next round. ..... Know a guy with a revolver so I'll give em to him.
Most 22 cal guns were either long rifle only or short,long, or long rifle a lot of the older semi auto guns would take them all 550 Remington for example

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Shooting shorts or longs in 22lr chambers will not hurt them. This build up that everyone yammers about can only occur as a result of no properly cleaning your gun. I have and old Single-6 that loves 22 Longs. I keep them just for it. Inspect the cylinder and you aren’t going to see any ring any where.
It like all others was properly cleaned at 1st opportunity after use.
I still have several thousand shorts that I kept for a Browning rifle and Minx pistol. Sold both and won’t be afraid to shoot up the shorts in revolvers. I do also have most of case of Short Krumble ball gallery ammo. Very handy for touching off things that aggravate you without worrying about richocete.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts