The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The basic model HR 001 has a painted receiver cover. The receiver is a zinc alloy. Barrel and lever blued steel. Barrel band plastic. You can get fancy plated receiver cover and metal Barrel band. It wasn't made before WWII but it is a great gun. The only thing I dislike is the receiver cover when reinstalled will require a scope to be resighted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
(The Marlin 60 scope mount is terrible. It uses the old grooved mount system that never worked very well.)

I’ve never had a problem with that mount system . Works great for me and have had it for 50 years . Very adjustable since you have infinite placement along the entire length of the dovetail .

·
Banned
389 Posts
Never had an issue with it as well...Now on the Nylon 66 I have always felt funny putting glass on it.

Took two out shooting last weekend, both had a couple of click no bang for it to be normal 22 issues. Took them apart to clean (remember I never clean) and the firing pin just would not move, I had to drive the pin out, dig the pin out of its little long "guide" in the bolt and toss them in the sonic cleaner.....they just got too gooked up. 5 round tests on sunday and all went bang like they should.

Perhaps I should clean the bolt more often, left the barrel alone as they are grouping very nice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love my 550. Make sure you keep that floating chamber clean. Mine was frozen with crud when I got it. The guy said he couldn't get it to be reliable. The whole rifle appeared to have never ever been cleaned I soaked the whole chamber area and barrel in solvent for 2 days. Rinse it and It has been 100% since
I have a Colt .22 conversion unit for my 1911, with the floating chamber. They are no fun to shoot using really dirty .22 ammo.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts