The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious, does anyone carry a .22 LR handgun for personal protection? Often I grab my wife's Ruger SR-22 when out and about.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I like the SR22, it's about as reliable as can be, but I won't use rimfire for SD because of the notorious unreliability of the ammo. I have other CF options, but good decisions/selections can be made on 22LR ammo to use for SD. Having said that, if that's all one has to carry, it's better than a sharp stick.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Punch 22 LR from Federal Premium looks interesting and I am looking to score some. This in a Ruger Ruger Model LCRx Revolver 22LR 8RD would work well. I’m thinking about this set up for me now that I am over 65 and not getting any younger.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In 1981, a nut job armed with a Rohm .22 LR revolver with a 2" barrel nearly killed 4 people, including President Ronald Reagan. Now, granted he was using devastators, but none of the rounds exploded except possibly the one that hit James Brady.

Now I'm not advocating nor discouraging the carry of a .22, but in the right place, they'll take down deer, and I've never personally had a .22 LR misfire. I've used some bulk ammo where I could literally see the bullet as it traveled to the target, but it all fired, and all my good .22 LR ammo has fired and worked as it should in a variety of weapons.

·
Premium Member
19,978 Posts
I wouldn't carry a 22 handgun. There are much better options today. The S&W EZ in 380 and 9mm is easy to rack and load. I am 71 so racking a Slide is getting harder. When it is a problem I will move over to one of these. When I was much younger at one point I did carry a 22 as it was all I had.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In my opinion, the main factor in a concealed carry weapon, more so than caliber, ability to shoot well, follow up speed, or shot placement, is the willingness to use the weapon. It doesn't matter if you have a .32 S&W or a .50 AE; if you aren't willing to use it, it serves no purpose other than to potentially scare someone, and that is far more unreliable than any .22 LR.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If I was to carry a 22 LR it would definitely be a revolver probably the S&W 43C. There are some advantages of the 22 - cost comes to mind, very low recoil and if you have to use it, you prolly won't blow your ears out. When I shoot a snake with my 45acp, I'm glad I got it on my side instead of fangs in my leg but my ears always pay the price.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I fully agree with the "Willing to use it," Shot placement and follow up speed, are key components, as well. My Browning Buckmark Micro has NEVER had a FTF or FTE, or a malfuntion of any type, in over 20 years of use. Utterly reliable, and scary accurate. I'd trust my life to it, and have.

·
Premium Member
19,053 Posts
The only problem of having a .22 for your concealed carry weapon is the bad guy will probably bust out laughing at you, cause he knows there is a good chance it isn't even loaded since they know there isn't any ammo available for it now.:(

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
The only problem of having a .22 for your concealed carry weapon is the bad guy will probably bust out laughing at you, cause he knows there is a good chance it isn't even loaded since they isn't any ammo available for it now.:(
That is how you disarm them with laughter. Once they are on the floor you kick them where the beginnings of a family tree start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's rimfire or not, a gun is 100x more likely to jam in a fight. Usually there is not enough time to aim or get a two handed grip. Remembering not to limp wrist is gonna be even harder. I see no issues with .22lr so long as when it does jam it's always a one second tap and rack away from the bang. I've got an old savage 1907 I'd love to get rid of that shoots straight but when it jams you must pull the mag, rack the slide, reseat the top round, reinsert the mag, rack again, then fire. That nonsense will absolutely get you killed. Especially if you try to skip one of those steps.
I can't see a bad primer making that much of a difference in a defensive scenario unless it blows out of the case and gets stuck and that can't happen with rimfire. I don't know about stangers but I know for a fact federal trash will go through about a foot and a half of stacked books and that we are much softer than books so that's probably just fine. However, with all those nice things being said, if I'm carrying a .22 it's still not gonna be an lr
IMG_20210329_105732.jpg

1 - 20 of 50 Posts