The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
All I am going to say is that my best friend all through High School was killed with a single shot to the chest by a punk using a RG .22 revolver. He did not survive to make it to the hospital less than 10 miles away.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
When I was in grammar school back in the 50's, a classmate nearly died from a shot in the abdomen from a .22 short. He was rough-housing with a friend & it went off. I remember him saying they had to remove about 6' of his small intestine. He missed nearly a whole yr of school. My first job was in a not-so-good neighborhood. I carried a ,22 mag Hi-Standard derringer next to my wallet every day. In those days, 2-rounds was enough, today, 10+1 of 9mm seems more adequate.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I carry an NAA Black Widow, but it’s 22 WMR. I’m thinking of “pulling the trigger” on an LCP II in 22LR in the very near future for EDC.
I have an LCP but I stepped it up to a .380. Same size and only slightly heavier than a .22 LR. I keep it loaded with "Black Hills Honey Badger" 60 gr. ammo. I pocket carry mine in the holster which came with the gun. No one else knows I carry it unless I tell them.
I used to carry my S&W 422 .22 LR but after a couple issues while target shooting I questioned it's reliability. Not a good feeling to have about something you may have to depend on.
Of course after buying the LCP the S&W has functioned flawlessly. Go figure.

·
GUNZILLA
7,189 Posts
Using a 22 lr for self defense is like trying to get republicans and democrats to go out together for a beer and agree on every topic. IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN! Better chance with cats and dogs to drink from the same bowl.

Rimfire calibers like 22 long rifle, or 22 magnum are very lethal calibers. We all know that they can kill and we all know that as a caliber there are a variety of issues that occur when it comes to reliability. From FTF's to FTE's but all the reliability factors can be greatly increased by knowing your capabilities of your firearm and the ballistics of the rimfire cartridge.

Ballistically speaking the problem begins with using standard velocity or subsonic rounds on semi-autos. These rounds may or may not cycle the action, so the solution would be to buy high velocity ammo as these will cycle the action, and by all means avoid bulk ammo because of the duds found in them. Better grade ammo like CCI or Aguila will do great. Using a revolver increases the reliability factor even more than semi auto action because the revolver can fire a greater variety of ammo from standard velocity to sub-sonic to high velocity. If you buy the standard or sub-sonic velocities you can further increase the reliability factor even more now, because you can use premium grade ammo, Like Lapua, Eley, RWS and so on. If you cannot afford premium ammo the revolver still has an advantage in that all you have to do is squeeze the trigger again if you have a dud, try doing that with a semi auto.

I hear about reliability issues with the 22 but who here has not had a reliability issue or read about the issues one has had with their semi auto pistols. How many here have not read about the variety of solutions from cleaning, polishing the ramp, or stove pipes , or send it back to the manufacturer on centerfire handguns. Guns are mechanical,....they will break. When it comes to a 22 I believe that it is more of a confidence issue at stake than a reliability issue.

There are more pro's than cons when it comes to carrying a 22 lr vs not carrying one for self defense. There are factors that the shooting sports community as a whole fail to take into consideration when they immediately focus on the negative aspect of the 22 long rifle round. They fail to realize that the individual may be an elderly person, male or female. They fail to realize that they may have a physical handicap that may limit the use of a larger caliber round, such as arthritis or other debilitating medical conditions. Instead we should inform them of what works in a semi-auto action vs a revolver. Those of you that are young, the day will come where your physical abilities will diminish and can no longer defend yourself physically in hand to hand, or by using a larger caliber revolver.

Lastly, believing that only larger centerfire calibers are better may provide you with a false sense of security thinking that it has "stopping power". In my 37 years of working in a trauma center I saw more deaths from a 22 caliber round than any other caliber and I have witness a small frame woman survive 6 shots from a .357 magnum to the face and head. Seeing this confirms my beliefs, if GOD wills it, the choice of caliber does not matter whether you live or die.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
In 1981, a nut job armed with a Rohm .22 LR revolver with a 2" barrel nearly killed 4 people, including President Ronald Reagan. Now, granted he was using devastators, but none of the rounds exploded except possibly the one that hit James Brady.

Now I'm not advocating nor discouraging the carry of a .22, but in the right place, they'll take down deer, and I've never personally had a .22 LR misfire. I've used some bulk ammo where I could literally see the bullet as it traveled to the target, but it all fired, and all my good .22 LR ammo has fired and worked as it should in a variety of weapons.
The bullets available today in .22 are light years ahead of what you could get in 1981. Hornady and others have .22 ammo designed for self-defense. Hornady also makes a self defense round in .22 magnum.

·
GUNZILLA
7,189 Posts
The bullets available today in .22 are light years ahead of what you could get in 1981. Hornady and others have .22 ammo designed for self-defense. Hornady also makes a self defense round in .22 magnum.
I always read about penetration and how it lacks penetration. People also always resort to a gelatin block when it comes to penetration. The truth of the matter is that a slow moving 22 caliber solid round will penetrate just as much as as high velocity hollow point centerfire. Intrinsically our nature is to respond to a threat using lethal force but not all threats require a central nervous shot to stop the threat. It is about training as @SeeMor Guns stated, " train for what you have." With todays rounds as you stated we are light years ahead from 40 years ago.

People forget that archery hunters of days gone by and now bring animals down weighing hundreds of pounds with an arrow, and it really does not have that much muzzle energy. I think of the 22 as a little arrow that can shatter a bone, sever an artery, penetrate and cause a pneumothorax in the lung or stop the heart. Image what it will do in the head.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an LCP but I stepped it up to a .380. Same size and only slightly heavier than a .22 LR. I keep it loaded with "Black Hills Honey Badger" 60 gr. ammo. I pocket carry mine in the holster which came with the gun. No one else knows I carry it unless I tell them.
I used to carry my S&W 422 .22 LR but after a couple issues while target shooting I questioned it's reliability. Not a good feeling to have about something you may have to depend on.
Of course after buying the LCP the S&W has functioned flawlessly. Go figure.
I already have the LCP II .380 but I can’t find any ammo for it. I have plenty of 22LR and 22 short, so I figure I could use the LCP 22LR so at least I’ll be able to shoot.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Knowing what shooting a 2X4 with a .22LR does to it, speaks volumes to me. Plenty potent.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I received an email from Sig reference a conversion kit for the P 938 ( I happen to have a couple) on sale I believe for two hundred bucks (about four years ago) When received it did not change the size of the 938 and had a lovely set of night sights and two magazines, the combination is surprisingly accurate. I usually leave one of the Sigs in 22lr form and if heading out to check pig traps I can simply drop the .22 in the holster. I have tens of thousands of .22 ammo and quite a few hundred are Stingers, a well placed shot in a 150 # feral hog will quickly put its lights out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am curious, does anyone carry a .22 LR handgun for personal protection? Often I grab my wife's Ruger SR-22 when out and about.
I was asked by a friend (police officer) that do alot of range time with. "When you are driving with your seatbelt on, how do you access your side arm?" "Yes, it is on my strong side and not easily accessible if someone were to enter my car uninvited." I simply replied, "I have a surprise in store! When driving, I have a High Standard 101 Stainless .22 WMR over-under Deringer at the ready between my legs."
.22 Magnum Hollow points are devastating at point blank range!

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
I have carried .22lr a few times. Always revolvers though. The reliability of .22 ammo is improving but not to where I would trust a semi auto yet. Honestly, a 22 WMR revolver would make me feel more secure in most situations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I was a cop I occasionally carried a .22 as a backup gun and never felt like I was at a disadvantage. I witnessed several people killed and wounded with the .22 LR round. Multiple assailants may be a problem IMHO but a single assailant with a pistol/revolver emptied into his/her chest will probably decide to seek relief instead of continuing their assault....if they survive the confrontation.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts