The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I'm 14, i am a sport shooter since 3 years and if i become 16 the local law says: If i become 16 i can get 22lr or 22short caliber guns for sporting.
I've been wondering since a year, should i get a pistol or a rifle, first i readed a lot about 22lr pistols i've considered to get a S&W M&P22, but a lot of people told that the 22lr is not as reliable with semi automatic pistols as with revolvers or rifles, i don't like 22lr revolvers because 10rd cylinder is weird, and if i'm gonna get a pistol i'll get a bigger caliber, then i readed about these 22lr rifles, i considered to go with bolt-action because i couldn't find a lot of reliability information about semi automatic .22lr rifles like Ruger 10/22, therefore i want a bolt action rifle. So can you tell me suggestions, you may not take a 14yr old guy serious, but i'm serious. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
39,000 Posts
Most of us will have no idea what the purchase laws in Hungary are so if you can buy a weapon at 16, congratulations. I personally would buy a rifle. I really like my Savage bolt action .22 rifle and would recommend it. I hear a lot of good things about the CZ rifles, also.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Welcome. I wouldn’t be afraid of buying a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin Model 60. They’ve been around for years, are solid guns and not too expensive for a young guy just starting out. Also, if you want something different take a look at a Henry lever or pump. If you want a bolt action rifle maybe let us know which ones you’re looking at buying and we can give you our opinion on those rifles. I’m not sure what’s available in your area.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not sure how much access you have to accessories, but that is also something to look at. Think about the base needs, ring types, etc if you are interested in a scope.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,630 Posts
If you are looking for a bolt action you won't find any better for the money than a CZ.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
You will never go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Some of the other and especially older 22 Autos can get out of whack and are a bear to get right again. Bolt actions have great record for reliability. The biggest problem with 22s these days is the ammo itself. It is a shadow of what it used to be. Many misfires and wildly varying velocities. The Ruger 22 Pistol is about as good as it gets for a shooter at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi Adam,
I would say go for the CZ if you want a bolt action, very good quality and should last you a lifetime, like the other guys say though a lot is down to the ammo so when you get it try a few different brands of ammo through it and see what works best...I have good results with CCI...best of luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks! What do you think about the CZ 455 stainless? Do i need other modifications or just put on a scope and it's ready?
I just has a quick look on line and it looks all ready to go, just add a scope. personally I prefer the older blued steel look and timber stock but long life and wear and tear the stainless gun is just the job.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Welcome! I don't think I've ever met a 22lr rifle that I didn't like. I'm sure any known brand will serve you well. Pistols can be a bit more problematic. But most are quite well made. Even the inexpensive ones. Chances are you will be buying a lot more firearms in your future. So I wouldn't get too worked up about buying the exact perfect one.
One note of caution if you don't already know. Never fire the gun without a round (or something) in the chamber. 22lr is rim fire, and the firing pin can damage the chamber, leading to loading issues.
Don't worry about your age either. We were all young once. Just a very long time ago for some of us.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
For me the CZ is stretching my budget. I lean toward Ruger. Take a look at the Ruger American 22lr bolt gun and check the reviews. It's a shooter.

CZ is good if you can buy it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have a savage MKII .22lr bolt action that is my main small game gun. I shoot 150 yards with it and cant complain.
20160619_192330.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Hello!
I'm 14, i am a sport shooter since 3 years and if i become 16 the local law says: If i become 16 i can get 22lr or 22short caliber guns for sporting.
I've been wondering since a year, should i get a pistol or a rifle, first i readed a lot about 22lr pistols i've considered to get a S&W M&P22, but a lot of people told that the 22lr is not as reliable with semi automatic pistols as with revolvers or rifles, i don't like 22lr revolvers because 10rd cylinder is weird, and if i'm gonna get a pistol i'll get a bigger caliber, then i readed about these 22lr rifles, i considered to go with bolt-action because i couldn't find a lot of reliability information about semi automatic .22lr rifles like Ruger 10/22, therefore i want a bolt action rifle. So can you tell me suggestions, you may not take a 14yr old guy serious, but i'm serious. Thanks!
Adam, I believe you are very serious and I will address your question in a serious manner. It is apparent that your family is behind you in your hobby, Your elders should be congratulated.
If you are pursuing target shooting, by all means, go with a bolt action, this type of gun will teach precision in your shot placement along with the economy of the round.
Have you shot any bolt action guns, if yes what was your favorite? Since I am not aware of your laws I don't know which guns are available to you. I must assume you and/or your family belong to a gun club, which guns are used the most, ask about problems along with the owners likes and dislikes.
It is young people like you that will help to make the shooting sports strong and alive.

Good Luck, stay in touch.
Larry

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun to start with, and ordering upgrades on the internet can turn that gun into almost anything you want, from serious bench rifle, to a plinkers dream, to a small games nightmare. Marlin model 60 makes a great semi auto in the model 60. I had one, and wouldn't hesitate to put another one in my gun rack. I hear great things about the CZ, but having never handled one, I'm grossly underqualified to comment on them.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Adam, it is great that you have an interest in firearms, and you found a good place here, lots of knowledgeable people who will happily answer your questions.
As far as Ruger 10/22's go, I have been shooting mine for 40 years. No major problems in all that time and a lot of ammo through the gun. There are many fine bolt actions out there too, again Ruger makes excellent rifles, and so does CZ!
Good luck with your shooting Adam, look forward to seeing posts from you down the road.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun to start with, and ordering upgrades on the internet can turn that gun into almost anything you want, from serious bench rifle, to a plinkers dream, to a small games nightmare. Marlin model 60 makes a great semi auto in the model 60. I had one, and wouldn't hesitate to put another one in my gun rack. I hear great things about the CZ, but having never handled one, I'm grossly underqualified to comment on them.

TigerLeo.....I salute you!!....Finally someone who admits they have never handled a particular gun so can’t comment on them...............SOOOO many posters never let that stop them!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
TigerLeo.....I salute you!!....Finally someone who admits they have never handled a particular gun so can’t comment on them...............SOOOO many posters never let that stop them!
I can only say what I know, which ain't much. And the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know squat!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from Western, New York. I think most shooters have started with owning a 22. I have a single bolt action 22, and it can take 22lr or 22shorts, so it gives me more options, and it is easy to clean, and very accurate.
I also have a Browning 22-SA (semi-auto) takedown it is more fun then anything, but it only takes 22lr. and it takes some work to really get it clean.

I really like my 22 revolvers, they can take 22lr or 22short and they are easy to clean, I have never owned a 22lr pistol but, lots of folks shot them in my pistol league, all I can say is they seem to jam up a lot!!
It is kind of sad when the range office is getting upset with jams and misfires and he starts yelling at the 22 pistol guys; "OIL PEOPLE! Oil -Oil_Oil!!!:confused: 22lr is a dirty round and what ever you end up with will need a good cleaning after shooting it.

Think about how you want to use the fire arm, if hunting? a rifle would be best
if target shooting (longer distance or short distance- rifle / short distance -handgun).
In the summer I love riding motorcycle- I can take a few handguns to the range on the bike, if I'm shooting rifles, then I need my truck.
How are you getting to the area that you will practice shooting?

What ever firearm you choose I wish you the very best with it. I'm sure it will be your first of many. Practice Safe, Practice Often, and Have FUN! :)

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,630 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun to start with, and ordering upgrades on the internet can turn that gun into almost anything you want, from serious bench rifle, to a plinkers dream, to a small games nightmare. Marlin model 60 makes a great semi auto in the model 60. I had one, and wouldn't hesitate to put another one in my gun rack. Ty I hear great things about the CZ, but having never handled one, I'm grossly underqualified to comment on them.
I have several CZ rimfires (7 at last count if I recall correctly) and every one of them are top quality as well as very accurate out of the box. If you want to you can replace the trigger spring for a few cents and get a trigger down in the ounces. Like all rimfires you may have to shoot several brands of ammo to see what it likes the best. Mine shoot good with SK Std + but are very accurate with Eley and RWS R50.

Reactions: vizslas 1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Adam, well done. You are doing your research. I can't comment on a specific firearm for you, because I don't know the specifics of your situation. Your country's laws, your financial situation, and what guns and ammunition are available to you will all influence your final decision. It does sound like that may not be too restrictive, so that is a good thing.

I started out with a single shot .22 bolt that my grandfather gave me. I took a couple steps backward when I bought a .22 semi auto and developed some bad habits......and burned up a lot of ammunition. Now, 60+ years later, I have both and know how to control myself with the semi auto.

I will suggest that you might consider an air rifle. Here in the US, air guns are not as restricted for young people like other firearms. That's just a thought. You may be able to start firearms ownership at a slightly younger age!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum.Not trying to ruffle feathers, but don't forget about other or older .22 brands.I have a 100 yr old Remington model 41 Target Master. (Two models, one with adjustable peep sight one with out) It is a great single shot (for making the shot count) and accurate at 150 yards with or without scope (with enough shooting.) It is very basic and a great inexpensive gun. I'm confident you could find one pretty easily. It accepts 22s, 22l, and 22 lr. Very basic and reliable. I never have an issue hitting my target except operater error. The only downside to the none peep sight models(*EDIT* not sure about the peep sight models I own non peep sight*End EDIT*) is there's no easy way to mount a scope. I side mounted mine and have excellent results.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts