The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting out in my favorite desert location yesterday.I took my Ruger Bear-cat 22 and my new Marlin Stainless-60.
I noticed a propane tank laying there and it already had a couple of holes in it already.So I took the bear-cat out and took a shot.It left a large dent but didn't penetrate the tank.I then grabbed the marlin-60 and shot and punched through like butter.
Both guns use Winchester 40 grain 1255 feet per second ammo.I just realized how a longer barrel made such a difference.
So I guess for hunting varmits or small game use a 6 or 7 inch barrel for a handgun or a rifle for maximum 22 performance.I heard this about the 22 magnum I guess it's different when you see the results yourself.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yep. You ought to try out the Hornady or Winchester V-Max .22mags with the ballistic tips. Lighter slug, but much faster - 2200fps or better out of a rifle which translates to better accuracy at a longer range. Figure a nearly flat trajectory up to 125 yds or so. The bullet keeps accelerating with a longer barrel up to about 26". It's a terrific small game round.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Yep. You ought to try out the Hornady or Winchester V-Max .22mags with the ballistic tips. Lighter slug, but much faster - 2200fps or better out of a rifle which translates to better accuracy at a longer range. Figure a nearly flat trajectory up to 125 yds or so. The bullet keeps accelerating with a longer barrel up to about 26". It's a terrific small game round.
you're right about that. Those Hornady 36 gr 22 Mags are smoking fast and drop small game in their tracks.

We have had a blast with those varmit huning this year already:D

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
I don't think those 22 magnums are gonna work in his Bearcat or his Marlin 60. I don't believe they will fit.

flyingtiger, 22LR is designed to burn it's powder in 16 to 20 inches of barrel. Up until then it is still burning and still producing gas pressure, and the bullet is still accelerating. After the 16-to-20, and the powder is all burned, the bullet actually starts to slow down, from the friction of the barrel against the bullet. I would say your best bet is nothing longer than 22 inches.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
.....So I guess for hunting varmits or small game use a 6 or 7 inch barrel for a handgun or a rifle for maximum 22 performance.I heard this about the 22 magnum I guess it's different when you see the results yourself.
Oh yes, seeing is beliving.

Where I used to live I could shoot anything in my back yard + 55 gallon barrel = fun!

You can compare for yourself and compare with what you read.
I was quite impressed with my .22 MAG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts