The Firearms Forum banner

.22 pistol barrel

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  1917-1911M 
#1 ·
I have a Smith and Wesson .22 compact.

The barrel has some rust in it.

Does anyone know where I can get a barrel for this pistol?

Thank you.
Dale

#3 ·
Well I will be dipped.

There is such a thing.

I need to stay up on plastic pistols.

Since it appears to be a current model gun, and Smith and Wesson, I believe, has lifetime warranty - I would get in touch with Smith and Wesson and see if they would put in a new barrel.

Reactions: ifithitu
#6 ·
I think they should too, however I would first have to convince them it came back like that.

I send 2 of them in because they both shot high and I could not get the sights to go high enough to get them sighed in.

They said the rear sights were loose and put new sights on. No help.
I ain't too fond of SAW anymore.

#8 ·
Just clean the rust out.
It's not likely to affect accuracy.
Run some wads of 0000 steel wool down the barrel.
I second Bill. Personally I prefer a light buffing with Flitz. Gives the barrel a more even polish, but either way, it's not a bullseye pistol so you shouldn't see much difference. Heck, it might actually shoot better. I would pay more attention to the crown than anything else.

#10 · (Edited)
I bought one of these new. It would not group. They sent a mailing label and installed a new barrel. It was worse than the first one. They took it back again and installed another barrel. This one could do no better than 9" groups at 21' from a mechanical rest. I looked at 1/2 a dozen in gun shops....slide locked back, piece of white paper in the chamber area for light and took photos of the machining in the barrel. All were extremely poor, rough, annular rings, etc. The Smith guys told me that was the best they had. So, I wonder if your barrel is rusty or just one of the bad ones. I have yet to see a good barrel in one of these pistols but some owners do report their are accurate. I gave mine to my sister to practice with. Walther makes the full size one. Smith makes the compact. It would cycle just about anything with the light aluminum slide but threw rounds all over the place. I'd call em again. 1917

Crummy cell phone picture but if you look at the lands and grooves at the end of the muzzle....the entire length of the barrel looked the same. The phone just didn't have much depth of field for a deep photo. I believe the annular rings across the lands did the most damage to accuracy. The barrel also leaded up rapidly. I have a number of other Smith firearms and all have perfectly manufactured barrels. Not sure what happened here. I looked at some a couple of years later....same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.