Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

22 rem jet magnum ,centerfire

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by johnboat, May 13, 2009.

1. johnboat

johnboat New Member

who made rifles in this chambering and what are they worth ? is ammo/available/valuable? ammo looks like a necked down 38spcl.is it ?

2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The only firearm that ever used the .22 Jet cartridge was the S&W Model 53 .22 Magnum revolver. This cartridge was developed especially for S&W by Remington. The revolver was available with a set of cylinder inserts which changed the chambering to .22 LR. The ammo is not particularly valuable, as there is very little demand for it and it seems there never was. To summarize, this cartridge is intended for use in only one pistol. It has never been used in any rifle and is not suited for rifle use.

3. johnboat

johnboat New Member

:) thanks for the info a freind of mine found a un opened box of this ammo oad i had never heard of it so i told him i would find out something about it thanks again

4. muddober

muddober Active Member

With all due respect I think wonderwhippet perhaps is mistaken. The ammo is very valuable going for 50 to 100 per box. Go take a look on Gun Broker.com or Guns America. The 22 Remington Jet is based on the 357 mag case and according to Cartridges of The World, Marlin offered their model 62 rifle, as did H&R in their Topper model and Thompson Contender chambered barrels for their single shot pistol. I use to have S&W model 53, it was very noisy and not very impressive in performance. All that notwithstanding factory ammo is no longer available and ammo brings a premium.

Ron

5. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I took my information from the book by Jinks, the official S&W factory historian. The book was very old, so Marlin, H&R, and Thompson Center must have chambered guns for the Jet later on after the book was published. I'll keep an eye open for the price on a box of Jet ammo if I ever see one, but I understand it was never an outstanding performer.

6. johnboat

johnboat New Member

thanks for the info i understand the mis comunique w/the older book thanks again , i am looking for a buyer or some one to sell them for m buddy ,i check out that site