22 rifle for home defence.

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by gvw3, Aug 17, 2017.

Do you think a 22 rifle is an option for home defence?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2017.
  1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    92.6%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I'm going to assume that you're just being obstinate here.
    Is a .22 a defensive weapon? Sure. Like all have said, it's better than nothing. The question though is more along the lines of would you prepare to use a .22 as a defensive weapon. I think all agree, that's not a good plan. If the SHTF and all you can get your hands on is a .22, then you're way ahead of the guy that can only find a rock.
    Clearly, you would be better off if all you could find was a 9mm, even better a .45, even better? a Ma Duece all mounted up.
    But, not in your mind. The only physical difference to the recipient is one quarter of an inch. That's all the damage done. One half inch hole for the deuce, a quarter inch hole for the .22.
    I would suggest that getting hit anywhere center mass with a .50 is likely fatal or at least puts you down. A .22? most center mass hits probably aren't fatal and many don't even put you down.
    It's physics. F=MA(2).
    The difference between projectiles isn't only the diameter of the projectile.
    But, you already know this.

crystalphoto, carver and The_Rifleman like this.
  2. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The original question; 'Do you think a 22 rifle is an option for home defense?' The choices were "yes, or no".

92.6% have voted 'yes'!

crystalphoto, joe45c and jedwil like this.

3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

All other things being equal, the size of the hole doesn't make much difference.

A single shot or bolt action .22 rifle might not be a good idea for defense, but a repeater-especially a semiauto is not a bad option. As far as rifles, the next step up is .22WMR and they are not common. Next comes the 9mm/.40/.45 pistol carbines-handy if you have one. Then, .223, .30 and larger rifle calibers. Overpenetration could be an issue with all of these-and is minimized with a .22.
    Also .22LR from a rifle has the velocity to expand the little lead bullets to much larger diameter (if that means a lot to you.)

A nice little .22 rifle is easy to shoot accurately, has almost no recoil, and if a semi-multiple shots are very quick.

If I KNEW someone was going to attack my home, I would probably choose a larger rifle caliber-but on the off chance that someone MIGHT attack my home, the little Ruger 10-22 would keep me warm and fuzzy.

Besides- it's the Indian, not the arrow.

carver likes this.
  4. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have canceled my plans to go bar hopping with you!!

5. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training Supporting Member

Wise choice.

gvw3, carver and joe45c like this.
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't think I have been in a bar in 20 years. This was my old neighborhood in the 1970's. Pretty rough area.

joe45c, carver, jedwil and 1 other person like this.
  7. henry0reilly

henry0reilly Active Member

Not likely to be my first option in most cases but I keep two 25 round back-to-back mags loaded for my 10-22.

Dispersing a mob from behind cover is the only scenario I can think of where this would be a first choice.

carver likes this.
  8. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Well-Known Member

Yep. The kids could deploy them as well. It ain't the FIRST line of defense for me, but it SERVES a purpose...

carver likes this.
  9. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

If that's what I had or felt comfortable with I would not feel under gunned.
    I would never use Stingers or frangible ammo. Standard velocity no hollow points.
    Frangible ammo like Stingers, first are very light grain 32g. And when you use these they are prone to expand on impact to anything (clothes) I tried hunting with these decades ago in late squirrel season and the squirrels were destroyed and the bullet never passed through one. Had a few other examples of that but tree huggers might get the wrong idea.

Thing is not too many criminals high or otherwise once in your house are going to advance on a muzzle flash and sound once you start shooting hit or miss.
    This is much like the ole "EVERYONE FEARS THE SLIDE RACK OF A SHOTGUN" and that wives tale is still alive. Does racking a pistol slide bring fear? Most folks have never heard that sound, its only gun guys who know that sound and folks..........you won`t hear a slide rack in my home. You will hear, stop I am armed and calling the police. Should you advance......the last thing you will see is a bright flash and it won`t be God.

carver likes this.
  10. marlin795

marlin795 Well-Known Member

My wife is only comfortable with a .22. So she has a 10/22 loaded up with good ammo and I think if worst comes to worst the bad guy is dead. My wife is a hell of a shot. When my wife is threatened the tiger comes out and I wouldn't want to be that bad guy.

gvw3, Broot, carver and 2 others like this.
  11. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You have a great wife, Marlin.

gvw3, Broot, carver and 1 other person like this.
  12. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I don't know if I replied to this or not. The only reason your wife is only comfortable with a 22 is because it's probably all she fire's and probably doesn't do that much! That the case, she'd be better off with a can of mace!

I've never shot a 380 but the case is smaller than a 9mm, to me that means light recoil. If you can afford a 22 rifle, you can afford a 380 auto.

I don't care for rifles for defense in the house, to many thing's to block moving the weapon around to fire, hand gun does a whole lot better.

I'm not real big on shotguns either. Better than a 22 but does a lot more damage and has the same pointing problem's. Pretty sure she could handle a 410!

Seem's to me your outfitting her with a self defense weapon and she's not really comfortable with shooting in the first place. bad idea that could get her killed! It is likely that the sound of even a 22 short will put an invader to flight but, what about the one that doesn't run? That is the one than could kill her!

gvw3 likes this.
  13. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

As I have said before- a repeating .22 rifle is a fairly good home defense gun. The .22lr from a rifle is a very accurate, deadly cartridge. Defending yourself at home does not involve "clearing" the house. That a job for the police. And, it's a rifle- much easier to shoot accurately than any handgun, and more powerful than a .380!
    Recommending a can of Mace over a .22 rifle is totally absurd and irresponsible!

Conman and joe45c like this.
  14. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

In an enclosed area, "mace" (pepper spray or CS) has the same effect on everyone there. Even worse is the fact that a great many experienced criminals are not effected by it. So if being blind and choking while you get your head split open by a goonish thug is your idea of home defense, carry on.
    If a .22 rimfire rifle is what you're comfortable with, use it. I favor the home defense style shotgun. A handgun is great to use until you can get to a rifle.

15. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have many better choices: BUT, I would think about TEN rapid fire rounds from a .22 LR Self-loading rifle would certainly get the attention of any intruder........Look what one round did to Ronald Reagan!!!