The Firearms Forum banner

.22 rimfire pistols ???

33K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Danwin22 
I am an ole bulleye shooter that used a High Standard for decades. For a new shooter the Rugers are fine as is the S&W 22A. I still teach and have a shooter now that is doing just great with her 22A. It seems to fit her hand better than the Ruger. You should shoot as many firearms as you can before you choose one to purchase. I have seen too many new shooters pick the wrong firearm in haste and live to regret that quick decision. It must fit your hand to shoot well. The S&W 41 is a great idea if you have the budget.
Finally, there is absolutely no substitue for practice. One must shoot thousands of rounds to be proficient. Every practice should have a goal. And, f you are having a bad practice day...pack up and go home. Nothing worse than practicing a problem.
My view:)

I completely agree with your assessment for two reasons. The first is requirement and the second is cost. I was recently at Bass Pro and Smith 41's are selling for over $1K. You do not need this firearm for casual target shooting or plinking. I have a few Ruger's and they are great firearms.

I instruct new shooters and typically advise that they purchase a Ruger or Smith 22A for their first firearm. It is usually not long before I am thanked for the advise. :)

Excellent point, I did not mention High Standard because the new ones are expensive and not as fine as the older Connecticut built firearms. I shot competitively for decades with the Supermatic Citation Model 103. I love that gun and it's grip. My wife still takes the money home from the club fun shoots with it today. :)

I have no critism of the Buckmark or MK pistols. Please see my last post. They are great firearms and I highly recomend them.

sub-moa,
Thanks for the reply. I think that we all agree, any name brand target pistol is a good place to start as long as it fits your hand. Try each of them and your target results will soon pick a favorite for you! LOL
Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.