The Firearms Forum banner

.22 rimfire pistols ???

33K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Danwin22 
G
#1 ·
Mr Man
(8/29/01 7:06:07 am)
Reply | Edit | Del All .22 rimfire pistols ???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
any suggestions for a good, reliable and accurate .22 pistol for a new comer to the sport?

shooter45 us
*Senior Chief Moderator*
(8/29/01 7:36:17 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: .22 rimfire pistols ???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Depending on what kind of competition . For bullseye: S&W Mod. 41.

Zigzag2
Senior Chief Moderator Staff
(8/29/01 8:39:39 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: .22 rimfire pistols ???
I'd have to agree with you Shooter45, and my second choice would be a High Standard Victor. From there would be a vass number of good shooting/less expensive... for example the Ruger line of 22's.
How much are you willing to spend?

IMO
Zig

Mr Man
(8/29/01 11:47:56 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del .22 rimfire
i am after something for standard pistol, and cause im an Australian i am looking to spemd aroung only 200 - 350 US dollars

warpig883
V.I.P. Member
(8/30/01 4:47:36 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: .22 rimfire
Get yourself a Browning Buckmark. You will like it.

Mr Man
(9/24/01 5:44:54 am)
sorry but i think that browning buckmarks are cheap loads of BS, and not at all what i want in a target pistol for standard pistol events. I am looking around the $300 mark!

Edited by: Mr Man at: 10/15/01 3:33:16 am

shooter45 us
*Senior Chief Moderator*
(9/24/01 6:32:45 am)
Get a Ruger Mk II target pistol. It fits the price range and is a good shooter.

Zigzag2
(9/24/01 7:53:33 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: .22 rimfire
see now... I told ye'

warpig883
V.I.P. Member
(9/24/01 7:21:13 pm)
No matter, buy the Ruger if that is what suites you. You will still be shooting a John M Browning design. When you want to start putting the bullets in the bullseyes you can always upgrade to the Buckmark.
I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor.

Mr Man
(9/25/01 4:18:06 am)
what do you mean 'upgrade to a buckmark'????

if you are at all serious about shooting you will outgrow the buckmark in a matter of weeks, stick to Margolins and Uniques as starting pistols.

Zigzag2
(9/25/01 8:40:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: .22 rimfire
like anything else..."you get what you pay for"... A person seriously considering the 22 cal. shooting sport has to take everything into consideration. As was mentioned earlier... there is certainly a price range to consider. From Hammerli's, Walthers.................... all the way to plinkers.
Personally, the S&W mdl.41 is a good choice when considering a rim fire pistol. The configuation, weight and feel of the mdl. 41 makes it an easy transition to a center fire pistol.

For what it's worth... I hope this helps in your decission making

Zig

p.s. Not like I'm biased or nuttin

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 9/27/01 7:18:56 am

tuckerd1
(12/14/01 9:14:45 pm)
Shot my Buckmark Varmit at bowling pins at 100 yds. Knock em down ever shot! Hows that for a good 22.
"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

warpig883
(12/14/01 11:21:25 pm)
You are the man tuckerd1
Know what?

tuckerd1
(12/14/01 11:23:45 pm)
Off bench rest though, thru scope!
"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

Mr Man
(12/26/01 5:46:48 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Sorry Young and Naive
Upon starting this descussion, i was very young and inable to comment from personal experiance, i had only relayed the opinions of my own club and the better shooters within it. I now wish to know if the S&W 22S model of pistol is a worthy investment for beggining to shoot a standard gun match, if not why and what is reccomended for around the same price.

Thanks,
Mr Man

Xracer
(12/26/01 9:57:34 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sorry Young and Naive
The only two that I know of in the same price range as the 22S are the Browning Buck Mark Bullseye, and the Ruger Mark II Target Model.

All of them can probably shoot better than I can. I like the fit & finish of the S&W best, but prefer the handle angle of the Ruger. I haven't shot a Buck Mark, so I can't comment on it.

Zigzag2
(12/26/01 11:52:05 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sorry Young and Naive
I can't comment on the S&W 22S either.
The Bukmarks and Rugers are widely seen with beginners.
But frankly, IMHO the emphasis will be on what feels good in your hand, technique and practice.
Last but not least... what you can afford

Mr Man
(1/8/02 9:17:41 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Second Hand?
What about second hand pistols within the same pricerange mentioned earlyer?

Zigzag2
(1/9/02 9:20:13 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Second Hand?
Unless you are willing to deal with comes along with a second-hand gun. Buy NEW

Mr Man
(3/10/02 9:11:29 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del I got one!!!!
Hey, thanks for all of your help!

I have gone down to the club and asked aroud there, and i have picked myself up a nice Hi Standard Citation for around $450 AUD (second hand) i have also had several more experianced shooters and more experianced members of the club look over the gun and they all seem to think that it is fine.

Thanx angain for all of ur input!

Mr_Man

BowiePC
(3/13/02 6:50:24 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del I bought the MKII...
...because I didn't want to spend a basket of money. The better I get, the more I wish'd I'd a bought a Model 41. Don't get me wrong, I love the MKII, but by the time I scoped it and did some trigger work I spent as much as I would have on a Model 41, which they say is match grade out of the box. If you're patient and look around on auctionarms.com or guntrader.com you'll find a fair price on a Model 41. There's lotsa good deals on the MK IIs also, leaving a few bucks to upgrade it.

Shep

Mr Man
(3/13/02 9:26:12 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del yes, well you americans have it easy!
I am an Australian and in being so, it is very difficult and long winded, not to mention expensive to use american gun dealers, the paperwork needed under the new gunlaws is huge, and the gun must pass safety tests preformed in customs. Believe me, i have seen a number of great deals which i could not get due to the hassels involved.

-Mr_Man

BowiePC
(3/15/02 10:44:17 am)
Reply | Edit | Del It could be worse...
...you could be living in the Soviet Republic of Maryland. Only folks allowed to purchase guns here are criminals!

Mr Man
(3/21/02 12:47:47 am)
Reply | Edit | Del RE: It could be worse...
we have also got to wait 28 days before the police even start to think about returning the 'application to accquire a firearm' form needed to purchase, it generally takes anywhere up to two months!

wsmc667
(10/6/02 12:21:02 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: RE: It could be worse...
what about the S&W 22-A ? or -A4 ? i was eyeing a buckmark. not sure how serious i'll get, but i'm already wanting to go up form "plinking". so many .22s "close" to the same price...

chris in sandy eggo, p.r.k.

Devin and his Ruger
(1/6/03 11:11:02 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Buy a Ruger
This is to let everyone know that Rugers' are the best and will always be the best. All guns need some modifications, but when you get done with the Ruger, at least you'll have something left worth shooting.

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(1/7/03 9:21:15 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Buy a Ruger
Devin, based upon your personal experience, tell us why the Ruger is
superior in competition .

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/7/03 10:05:49 am)
I agree whole heartedly agree about Rugers 22's...

especially for beginners

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(1/7/03 1:16:56 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Buy a Ruger
Zig you really need to run down to the gunshop and pick up a Buckmark

What really made me decide which one to buy when I got mine was the way it fit and the sights. The standard bottom line Buckmark comes with adjustable sights and the Ruger does not. That was a HUGE selling point for me. The factory grips on the Rugers are not even in the same class as the ones on the Buckmark. Those are the two main reasons I went with the Browning.

Since then I have outshot quite a few of the Ruger pistols of my freinds and have converted a few of them over.

Only factory 22 pistol I have shot that can consistently hit a pop can at 50 yards.

The two are priced similiar and they are both good pistols, so it really does just come down to a matter of personal preferance. They are both reliable and loads of fun.
Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Devin and his Ruger
(1/8/03 9:06:12 pm)
Well here I go... I own a slab side govt. model so the entry level rugers I admit that I cannot speak on their behalf, but I also have to agree that it all comes down to the shooter. There is a 9 year old girl with a Beretta Neos that outshoots a 50 year old with a Hammerli. May you all note that I have been humbled on this eighth day of January. But with my Ruger and my red dot Millet I can hit 12 gauge shotshells @ 50 yards... That's pretty challenging though. Not for the beginner Zig

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/8/03 10:01:04 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re: Buy a Ruger
SURE IT IS

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(1/8/03 10:37:47 pm)
The Ruger slabside G M is a good shooting pistol. Add a Volquartsen trigger group , lap the barrel and add an 11 deg. target crown and you have a very accurate competition pistol. (If the shooter does his part.)

Any MkII Ruger will get the same result.

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/9/03 6:38:09 am)

Quote:
There is a 9 year old girl with a Beretta Neos that outshoots a 50 year old with a Hammerl

there are "naturals" out there.

Hey, and they are welcome here too

Quote:
"Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow
ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

Edited by: Zigzag2 at: 1/9/03 6:39:12 am

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(1/9/03 9:46:29 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Re: Buy a Ruger
At 50 yards that red dot will completely cover up a shotshell. No way you could aim at just the primer.

I have never put a scope on my Buckmark. I should though. It might be fun.
Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss. Edited by: warpig883 at: 1/9/03 9:47:21 am

Devin and his Ruger
(1/9/03 2:33:17 pm)
If you get a 3 minute red dot scope it is difficult to see but it is visible. You should put one on your buckmark... But if you are just as accurate with irons why change. Not like you can improve a buckmark anyways.. Just kidding, no one get their undies in a bunch... I have those mods done to my Ruger, what would be some other mods that I could make????

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(1/9/03 3:11:51 pm)
That's about it as far as I know. Not a lot of mods to be done to a Ruger MkII.
Just find the most accurate and tightest grouping ammo and you're in business.

Fun pistol to shoot.

I have owned a Buckmark Varminter (sp)
Shot well of a bench but not practical for for off hand shooting.

warpig883
*TFF Staff*
(1/9/03 5:44:55 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter
Re: Re: Buy a Ruger
I will have to get a sandbag and shoot of a bench once.

my undies are always in a bunch
Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

bulm540
(1/9/03 7:38:08 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: .22 rimfire pistols ???
new comer? get the best gun you could buy...but even it's the most accurate gun, to hit the target is still based on your skills, practice your markmanship to get the best results

Devin and his Ruger
(1/10/03 12:58:14 am)
Actually I guess I answered my own question. If there are any others out there wondering what else you can do to your sweet ruger go to www.ontargetguns.com. They have everything for your Mk II and 22\45. Also all you 10-22 people out there they have shtuff for ya'll also(myself included).

Link activated.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 1/10/03 7:50:23 am

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/10/03 9:07:14 am)
Devin, here are a couple more you may enjoy

www.mikesshooting.com/10-22 Rifles & Parts.htm

RimfireCentral.com Main Page

Devin and his Ruger
(1/10/03 2:05:28 pm)
Thanx Zag for the links. Unfortunately I put all my $ into my pistola, so my 10\22 has retired to plinker status. Do you know of any cool Mk II sites that maybe I haven't heard of?? Eventually I would like to have every mod that can be done done to mine. Ya'll's help would be much appreciated.

Devin

Zigzag2
*TFF Senior Staff*
(1/10/03 2:17:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Re: Re: Buy a Ruger

Quote:
Eventually I would like to have every mod that can be done done to mine

HINT: Jack it up, and slip in a S&W mdl.41

shooter45 us
*TFF Chief Of Staff*
(1/10/03 7:27:52 pm)
Zig , I almost wrote the same response.

Devin, does your Ruger still have the factory recessed barrel crown ?

If so, have your barrel re-crowned to 11 degrees. You stated you already have the Volquartsen trigger group. How about the Volquartsen hammer ?

Only so much you can do to the MK II.

If your not happy with the results after that, do as Zig suggested. Trade for a S&W Model 41.

Devin and his Ruger
(1/11/03 6:47:56 pm)
Thanx for the tips I don't have the 11 degree crown.. What does that do for you??? Also my girlfriend is ordering the competition slab side Mk II, and she went out shooting with me and got to shoot a S&W 22a fully decked out(basically a trigger job, red dot, and some internal mods) and put 10 rounds through two holes at 30 ft. Now she's having second thoughts about getting the Mk II. What do you guys think?? She asked me to write ya'll and ask you.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am an ole bulleye shooter that used a High Standard for decades. For a new shooter the Rugers are fine as is the S&W 22A. I still teach and have a shooter now that is doing just great with her 22A. It seems to fit her hand better than the Ruger. You should shoot as many firearms as you can before you choose one to purchase. I have seen too many new shooters pick the wrong firearm in haste and live to regret that quick decision. It must fit your hand to shoot well. The S&W 41 is a great idea if you have the budget.
Finally, there is absolutely no substitue for practice. One must shoot thousands of rounds to be proficient. Every practice should have a goal. And, f you are having a bad practice day...pack up and go home. Nothing worse than practicing a problem.
My view:)

#4 ·
I know this is an old thread but the "The Bukmarks and Rugers are widely seen with beginners" comment aught my attention. I've never tried the Buckmark or the Smith, but I do know I got a 1" group at 100 yards with my Ruger MKII Target Model using scope/sandbags/trigger job/Eleytenex Ammo. Anyone ever get that with a smith or buck? What kind of accuracy you are looking for, are looking for ultimate accuracy or are you going to be shooting off hand in formal competition, or just plinking? If supreme accuracy is not important then what seems to fit your hand the best is the way to go. I like the Ruger because the barrel is rigid to the frame, a very simple and strong design, very accurate, and it's cheaper than a Hammerli.

#5 ·
I completely agree with your assessment for two reasons. The first is requirement and the second is cost. I was recently at Bass Pro and Smith 41's are selling for over $1K. You do not need this firearm for casual target shooting or plinking. I have a few Ruger's and they are great firearms.

I instruct new shooters and typically advise that they purchase a Ruger or Smith 22A for their first firearm. It is usually not long before I am thanked for the advise. :)

#6 ·
A High-Standard Pistol.

There are many used ones on the market. It is hard to recommend one model over another. I would check around. I have a model 107 supermatic Citation. Get one made in Connecticut, not in Texas (where the company is presently located).

Also, make sure you get ORIGINAL Connecticut mags, or you will have trouble with feeding.

Steve

#7 ·
This post sure did go a long way with alot of criticism toward the buckmark and the mk series. The original poster was only looking to spend 250 to 300 us dollars. I don't think that will go too far in the purchase of a quality pistol. The mk targets are more than that to begin with.

#8 ·
Excellent point, I did not mention High Standard because the new ones are expensive and not as fine as the older Connecticut built firearms. I shot competitively for decades with the Supermatic Citation Model 103. I love that gun and it's grip. My wife still takes the money home from the club fun shoots with it today. :)

I have no critism of the Buckmark or MK pistols. Please see my last post. They are great firearms and I highly recomend them.

#9 ·
Excellent point, I did not mention High Standard because the new ones are expensive and not as fine as the older Connecticut built firearms. I shot competitively for decades with the Supermatic Citation Model 103. I love that gun and it's grip. My wife still takes the money home from the club fun shoots with it today. :)

I have no critism of the Buckmark or MK pistols. Please see my last post. They are great firearms and I highly recomend them.
Most people do not recommend HS guns because of the fact that the new TX guns are nothing like the older CT guns. Although many older HS CT guns can be found for the price of a new buckmark or Ruger, it is still used, and one has to be able to find one at their local gunstore or *********.

Also, in my opinion, I agree in that they are not a casual target shooting gun. They are for the more serious target shooting competitor who is willing to tinker a bit and do research. Let alone the many models available.

Steve

#10 · (Edited)

I'll fuss a little about them...for people who are new to semi-auto pistols, the Ruger MK's are a bizatchie to learn how to disassemble & reassemble. I highly suggest having access to a friend/local gun guru if you get one for your first pistol.
Heck, some of us old farts have trouble with the dang things too...

Buckmarks are awesome...and easier to deal with.

Old High Standards rule the roost. They're the only American Pistol Mfr to ever win Olympic Gold.
So far...no American MFR has even come close since. Kinda sad, that.

#11 · (Edited)
I have a High Standard Duramatic which is a pleasure to shoot. It is the cheapest HS ever made but it sure shoots well. I can hit a lot better with the HS than my Ruger MkII.

The Ruger functions well but I wish I could find better sights. The front blade is too thin and leaves too much space in the rear notch to really get accurate.

I'm sure a regular target type Ruger would be a great pistol.

#12 ·
There are a multitude of .22s that will fill your needs. I own several different rimfires and they are all different in some way. My (arguably) most accurate
.22 is probably my Belgum Browning Gold Medalist Olympic. It's a better pistol than I am a shot, but they are pricey. My son has a Ruger Mk III target that has a scope, target grips, and also has had professional trigger work done and will hang with the Browning shot for shot. But again it is out of your price range. Honestly my biggest suprise of last year (gun wise) was a S&W .22 A with 7" barrel that I picked up used in new condition with box and papers at a Pawn shop locally for $199.00. I have shot it about 200 times and it's accuracy far excedes it's price tag. I thing SRP is about $325.00 or so but deals are out there. Just my .02 cents. :)

#14 ·
Wow, somebody drug a post out from the past. I have one of the old Connecticut High Standard Victors that I bought when I was 12 or 13 years old. It has had several thousand rounds shot through it over the years but still shoots as good as it did back when it was new. I traded it off about 15 years ago and about 6 years ago it ended up back in the same gun shop where I had traded it and I got it back. I should have never traded it to start with. After Dad passed away I gave the one he had to my sister and then my daughter decided that she wanted mine so now I am without one but she does let me shoot it from time to time.:D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.