.22 shotshell revisited

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ineedsoap16, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ineedsoap16

ineedsoap16 New Member

Just curious, What is a .22 shotshell. Supersmall shot? Or a small number od small shot. Again just trying to learn.

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

They're like little shotgun shells. I have the CCI plastic tip kind and the Federal brass kind, mostly because I wanted to see what they are like. They wouldn't be much good beyond 10-12 yards.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I shot a couple of rounds through my little NAA revolver yesterday, just to see what they would do. At about 5 feet, with the 1 1/4 inch barrel, the spread was about 6 inches, quite a few pellets in the crimped brass kind. The ones I have are pretty old, I don't remember the brand name but they have the Super X headstamp. I also have some of the plastic tipped CCI brand.

4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Years ago the .22 shot shell was a crimped brass shell. It shot, what we called rat shot, a load of what appeared to be lead flakes when opened and poured into your hand. They were flat flakes, and not round, worked really well on rats. Today you can get the .22 shot shell form CCI that has a plastic cap filled with #12 shot, real small, and round shot. The cap is shreaded by the rifleing as it travels down the barrel, and flys off, out of the way, once it leaves the barrel. I have shot field mice with this load from the tractor at about 20' - 25'. I have also shot a couple of field mice in the house with this load! It works well on mice. I have tried it on birds, and squirrels, in the .22 cal., and in .44 cal., it just don't work on birds, and squirrels! Don't know why, but I have shot squirrels at about 10' with the .44 shot shell, and the squirrel ran off to 12 ga. range.

5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Some years ago, we were minding a stable for a friend, and found that rats had raided one feed bin. I loaded my ruger single-six with the .22 shotshells, and they would absolutely not kill a rat at a six foot distance. Swapping cylinders and using .22 magnum shotshells with the plastic nose cover changed the story considerably; they did the job quite well.

I never tried them on mice -

6. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I carry 2 shot shells in my J frame 38 in the summer on my hunting property. Just in case a copperhead gets me surrounded. You can by the capsules from Speer for centerfire to load yourself. The factory jobs usually have #12 shot and I loaded my with #9. Don't get the spread but have a bit more energy.

7. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I knew that! What am I thinking, I need to order some, might be a lot cheaper to reload this shot shell, than to buy new!