The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Back in the early 70's I had a Rem 788 in 222 Rem. Most accurate rifle I ever owned. Wish I still had it! Was a ton of fun to shoot. Used to shoot ground squirrels with it in Montana and was cool shooting and being able to see the bullet hit! Can't do that with a 223!

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in the early 70's I had a Rem 788 in 222 Rem. Most accurate rifle I ever owned. Wish I still had it! Was a ton of fun to shoot. Used to shoot ground squirrels with it in Montana and was cool shooting and being able to see the bullet hit! Can't do that with a 223!
And seeing the bullet impact is one of the mysteries between the 222 and the 223. I still remember the days when the Triple Deuce was the, "King of the Hill" in competitive shooting. The 223 may be the more popular but long live the 222.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
As with Don I had 788 in the triple deuce. Mine was late 70's through the mid-80's. Mine was accurate but not the most accurate. It was among the 3 most accurate I've owned. I could describe a couple shots I made with it and, there was witnesses but, they were so incredibly lucky I'm embarrassed to relate them.

You can take your targets, turn them upside down on a table and flatten the bullet holes. Then using your calipers measure from the outside edge to inside edge of the two holes farthest apart and that will give you C to C of the group in thousandths.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As with Don I had 788 in the trano incredibly lucky I'm embarrassed to relate them.

You can take your targets, turn them upside down on a table and flatten the bullet holes. Then using your calipers measure from the outside edge to inside edge of the two holes farthest apart and that will give you C to C of the group in thousandths.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
As with Don I had 788 in the triple deuce. Mine was late 70's through the mid-80's. Mine was accurate but not the most accurate. It was among the 3 most accurate I've owned. I could describe a couple shots I made with it and, there was witnesses but, they were so incredibly lucky I'm embarrassed to relate them.

Can also measure outside to outside and subtract one bullet dia.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a Savage 222 back 100 yrs ago. Wanting a better cal. for chuck hunting. It was the absolute worst gun I ever had. It or I couldn't hit a target at 25 yds. I took it to my gunsmith friend and he glass bed the gun which didn't help. Then I had to bring a cleaning rod to extract the spent case. It was junk and finally got rid of it and bought a custom 22-250 which i still have and shoot.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,989 Posts
That's some fine shooting. Are you working with OAL as well or are these all identical loads?

Reactions: 270 Petload

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's some fine shooting. Are you working with OAL as well or are these all identical loads?
Right now I am tweaking different powders searching for the best powder (IMR4198, H335, H322) and powder charge. Next I will tweak the bullet seating depth and for that I will use a custom made Overall Length Gauge. Soooooo much fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts