The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellow TFF members I finally achieved my goal - to shoot 5 shots at 5 different targets and hit a space as small or smaller than a dime. This was witnessed. At the range where I shoot you go one day and shoot. If you want the target you have to wait until the next day to pick it up. The range captain will NOT issue a Cease Fire just to retrieve one target. That is why the shooter must wait until the next day to recover the target. Tell the range captain what station you were using and the target is saved for you to pick up the next day.
The rifle used is a custom 222 Remington and the cartridges were hand loaded using L E Wilson Handloading Dies with Neck Bushings and an Arbor Press, Lapua Brass, CCI BR4 Primers, Berger 52 gr FB Match Target Bullets and 18.7 gr of IMR 4198 powder. Most helpful was a calm day with barely a hint of breeze. May never repeat this performance but happy to have done it once. Unfortunately this would NOT win at a Bench Rest Tournament because the scores there are tighter than mine. That's o.k. Not doing it to win tournaments - just to have some fun. Targets #1 & #5 were the best.

Font Circle Symmetry Flooring Pattern
Circle Emblem Font Pattern Logo
Circle Symmetry Nickel Coin Font
Font Circle Pattern Symmetry Rectangle
Line Red Font Circle Symmetry

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What keeps someone else from shooting your target?
Each shooter is assigned a station and is expected to shoot at the assigned target. Since we are in the middle of a pandemic each shooter is spaced out at least 3 to 4 lanes from each other. The range is never full and there are about 50 stations for the 100 yards shooters. There is very little chance that other shooters will shoot at your target.
What keeps someone else from shooting your target?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done 270! However, given the cartridge, I cannot admit to any surprise.
Thank you. I am an old guy who was growing up in the time that the Triple Deuce was the King of the Hill in competitive shooting. That is why I choose the 222 instead of the PPC and others. The cartridge has a long reloading life and the barrel will have a long life as well.

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
I remember those days, 270, though I was just a kid and barely knew what they were talking about.. If I ever acquire another centerfire, 22 cal. in an American rifle it will be the 222. Then again, a Sako Vixen would be nice also.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember those days, 270, though I was just a kid and barely knew what they were talking about.. If I ever acquire another centerfire, 22 cal. in an American rifle it will be the 222. Then again, a Sako Vixen would be nice also.
Thank you for mentioning the Sako. It is from heart warming memories of a Sako 270 Forester that I took the name of 270 Petload. It had a thumbhole varmint stock. It took WhiteTailed Deer, Mule Deer, Elk and Pronghorn in Colorado and Wyoming. Happy times.

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
Ha...I'm not the only one to take his name from a cartridge he admires. I DO admire the 270 and am always on the lookout to replace my last one with a 1950 Mannlicher Schoenauer. I just haven't found one I'm willing to pay for.

In 1995 when we first got internet I was working with and using, exclusively, my Shiloh Sharps, Montana Roughrider in 45-90. I've been Sharps4590 ever since. It is a great rifle and great cartridge to which many a head of game has fallen, all over the US from Maine to Missouri, from Virginia to Wyoming. I expect I killed more game with that rifle over 12 years than any other rifle I've owned. It's the bottom rifle. Only thing that could make it better is if it was a Gemmer Sharps, like Grizs' rifle but, I'd want keep the pistol grip.

Wood Asphalt Road surface Composite material Trigger

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha...I'm not the only one to take his name from a cartridge he admires. I DO admire the 270 and am always on the lookout to replace my last one with a 1950 Mannlicher Schoenauer. I just haven't found one I'm willing to pay for.

In 1995 when we first got internet I was working with and using, exclusively, my Shiloh Sharps, Montana Roughrider in 45-90. I've been Sharps4590 ever since. It is a great rifle and great cartridge to which many a head of game has fallen, all over the US from Maine to Missouri, from Virginia to Wyoming. I expect I killed more game with that rifle over 12 years than any other rifle I've owned. It's the bottom rifle. Only thing that could make it better is if it was a Gemmer Sharps, like Grizs' rifle but, I'd want keep the pistol grip.

View attachment 258826
CLASSY ! Why I can see you in buckskins back in the days of the Mountain Men (1825-1840) drawing a bead on a "buffler"; 45 caliber; 90 grains of powder and eating fresh raw liver. Waugh! Just like Liver Eating Johnson but he ate the livers of the Crow warriors that came after him.

·
GUNZILLA
8,059 Posts
Exceptional shooting and groups, especially #5 target. If you shot yesterday, it was a perfect day as you mentioned as it was hot and not a single leaf was stirring, in the morning as there was no breeze.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Great shooting and thanks for sharing those targets. Those are groups we'd probably all love to shoot. I had a very accurate 14" Contender in 7TCU that amazed me but it and I weren't quite up to the level of your targets.

I remember Dad working with his 40X in .222 and the work he put into his passion. One day back in the mid 1960s he came home with a target with all 5 shots in one hole the size of a cigarette. Boy, was he elated. He sent it off to Sierra bullets to be measured. They told him it would have been some sort of record if done in competition. Years later he terrorized the woodchuck population in Northern Sussex County NJ with that rifle, back when it was a great place to live and hunt. I shot that rifle a time or two as a teenager and came no where near to the accuracy potential it possessed.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Sky

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice shooting.

Well done. 👍
Strangely, my 5 targets would NOT have won a Bench Rest Shooting competition. Yep!, that's right. In BRS the competition is VERY tight as in 0.18 or 0..19 or less. Mine would be in the 0.20 range. But my goal was achieved and that is what I wanted.

Very nice shooting.

Well done. 👍

·
Premium Member
15,355 Posts
CLASSY ! Why I can see you in buckskins back in the days of the Mountain Men (1825-1840) drawing a bead on a "buffler"; 45 caliber; 90 grains of powder and eating fresh raw liver. Waugh! Just like Liver Eating Johnson but he ate the livers of the Crow warriors that came after him.
Wellll, that would have predated the 1874 Sharps by a few decades. Back then then the firearm would probably have been a Trade gun, a fusil or possibly a Hawken in .53 caliber I did re-enact the Mountain Man era for about 30 years. My last 8-10 years of re-enacting and volunteering at The Boone Home in Defiance, Missouri was as an old Longhunter who came west to Missouri with Boone in 1799. Looked a bit like this.... :whistle: ...I'm 10 or 12 years older now

Plant Sky Hat Land lot Tree

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
270 Petload,
Nice groups.
What is the rifle action, trigger, barrel
, stock, scope, and bench rest rig ?
Have you ever tried H322, Benchmark, 8082XBR, 748, Lt-32, or N133 ? All of those gunpowders are very accurate in small cartridges.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts