The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally felt safe enough to avoid Covid-19 and get out and do some target shooting. Here are the results from my 222 Custom Remington.

Next step is to re-load the same brass with the same primers, same bullets and same powder charges and shoot an identical target at 100 yards see those results.

·
TFF Chaplain
23,412 Posts
Looks like you had a great day.

Nice groups. That first lot, 22.2 gr. H335 looks like your sweet load.

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts
You got love 222's they are lasers. Once you bend the barrel to the left and up you will be dead on. Seems like 23.4 grains is the sweet spot. Good shooting. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
17,823 Posts
Nothing surprising there. The little Triple Deuce always was a charmer and it's obvious you did your job. If I ever get another 22 CF it will be either the 222 or 222 Rem Mag.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Nothing surprising there. The little Triple Deuce always was a charmer and it's obvious you did your job. If I ever get another 22 CF it will be either the 222 or 222 Rem Mag.
Yes it is Vic! One of our long time members and a very good friend of mine brought one of his .222 rem's to the TFF BBQ a couple of years ago. He of course let me shoot it and I fell in love his rifle and it's chambering. Amazing accuracy and a true pleasure to shoot. Before I die I am determined to build one from a Savage action and a quality barrel and trigger. It won't cost a huge amount to do it. If my budget Savage Axis in .223 weren't so accurate itself I would use it for the project. The targets from his look very similar to yours. Just a cloverleaf time after time with almost boring regularity.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice groups! Up 4 clicks left 8 clicks.
Thank you. Yes, I need to adjust up and left. At this point I was going for "group". In the next test I will re-load the same brass, same primers, same bullets and same powder charges and shoot at 100 yards. Then compare, eliminate as necessary, fine tune and I should be where I want to be. I may need to experiment with a tuner but will probably not need one. I remember a time when the Triple Deuce was the, "King of the Hill" when it came to precision shooting matches. "Things" changed and we are now in the 6mm or 6.5mm territory for precision match shooting. That's o.k. we need to move ahead but shooting like the good old days can still be enjoyed. Viva the good old days.

Center to center is proper...real nice groups,I bet money it does the same at 100yds.
Yes, zant, I am hoping for the same results at 100 yards.

Yes, sharps4590, either 222 or 222 Rem Mag will get the job done. Now if we could find primers and powder. Bullet supply is still o.k. for a while but powder and primers are at critical levels and nowhere to be found.

Yes it is Vic! One of our long time members and a very good friend of mine brought one of his .222 rem's to the TFF BBQ a couple of years ago. He of course let me shoot it and I fell in love his rifle and it's chambering. Amazing accuracy and a true pleasure to shoot. Before I die I am determined to build one from a Savage action and a quality barrel and trigger. It won't cost a huge amount to do it. If my budget Savage Axis in .223 weren't so accurate itself I would use it for the project. The targets from his look very similar to yours. Just a cloverleaf time after time with almost boring regularity.
Yes accident, boring regularity is acceptable under certain circumstance.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Yes, sharps4590, either 222 or 222 Rem Mag will get the job done. Now if we could find primers and powder. Bullet supply is still o.k. for a while but powder and primers are at critical levels and nowhere to be found.
You are correct about the primers and powder. Just this past weekend I did something I never thought I would do. I found a local guy that had a pound of IMR4350 unopened and a half pound of the same and I purchased both containers. I didn't think I would ever purchase an opened bottle of powder but I did.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Isn't that satisfying. Got to love an accurate rifle.

I remember back in the 60's when Dad had his Rem 40X in .222
Finally, one day he came home with a target with 5 holes in the size of a cigarette at 100 yards. He was in his glory and sent the target off to Sierra to get measured. They told him if done in competition it would have been a record of some kind.

He always wanted to go to Camp Perry but never did. He took out many a woodchuck with that rifle.

Photograph Shooting Shooting sport Benchrest shooting Photography

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Isn't that satisfying. Got to love an accurate rifle.

I remember back in the 60's when Dad had his Rem 40X in .222
Finally, one day he came home with a target with 5 holes in the size of a cigarette at 100 yards. He was in his glory and sent the target off to Sierra to get measured. They told him if done in competition it would have been a record of some kind.

He always wanted to go to Camp Perry but never did. He took out many a woodchuck with that rifle.

View attachment 238996
Glad to have revived treasured memories.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.