The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Here is what I found on that die:
Improves accuracy of cast and jacketed bullet reloads. Doesn't stretch cases as does standard expander button and extends case life. The die's expander plug has two steps. The first step expands the inside of the case neck to just under bullet diameter for precise case neck tension on the finished reload. The second step expands the case mouth to bullet diameter or slightly over. The allows the bullet to be started perfectly center in the case mouth and properly aligned with the axis of the case neck.

Looking at the pic the Op posted. It looks like he has it adjusted way to far out and it is squashing the case. It should only slightly bell the case mouth. But as I have said and others have said: Most do not expand or bell the case mouth for .223

·
Super Moderator
38,520 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, I have never seen one of those things before. Lay it aside for a little while and try loading a few rounds without it to see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Finally we see what he's using. I'm with others, toss that thing and use your 2 die set then reload away. Don't create unneccessary problems for yourself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lyman .223 neck expander.

View attachment 234968
Throw that thing in the trash man it is not needed. Obviously as you see all it is goi g to do is destroy your brass. The “expander ball” in the deprime/resize dies does everything you need. I will say once again as many others have already said you do NOT flair a rifle case.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think I found out what the expanding die does.

It is not interned to put a bell mouth on the case it is to size the inside of the mouth.

I tried to load some shells with out it and the neck bulged on one side.
I started checking it out a little and there is no bell on the tool.

I loaded up some cartridges the other day using the neck sizer and all was good.

·
Super Moderator
25,735 Posts
You're still trying to make that thing work? :headbang::headbang::duh::duh:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have used a case mouth expanding die on 300BO, when loading cast bullets. When I did not "bell" the case mouth, it shaved lead and/or powder coating off the bullet. Actually, what I used was a 30 carbine bell die, the 30 carbine being a straight walled case, it needs it. I believe that some belling of case mouths is needed for all cast bullets that are not boat tailed, including rifle cartridges with a shoulder.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts