The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I wanna load up some .223 rounds. I'm using hornady .224 dia. 55gr FMJ BT bullets. I have to powders H-335 and Benchmark. I have data for the 335, but I can't seem to locate any data for the Benchmark with that bullet. Does anyone have any starting loads or max loads that I can get? I also see in the Speer manual it says to use magnum primers with the H-335 powder, is that a must or can you use regular primers? Thanks ahead of time for any feedback I get.

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
Hey I wanna load up some .223 rounds. I'm using hornady .224 dia. 55gr FMJ BT bullets. I have to powders H-335 and Benchmark. I have data for the 335, but I can't seem to locate any data for the Benchmark with that bullet. Does anyone have any starting loads or max loads that I can get? I also see in the Speer manual it says to use magnum primers with the H-335 powder, is that a must or can you use regular primers? Thanks ahead of time for any feedback I get.
what primers do you have?

here is a good chart on primers

http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

It says, and I understand that the Rem 7 1/2 is considered a magnum primer

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have both cci regular sm rifle primers and magnum.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The best I've been able to come up with on the Speer/Magnum primer thing is that they tested that particular load with magnum primers only. I have used both H-335 and Benchmark with both types of primers in my AR and cannot tell any difference. I am not shooting National Match or any other type of competition shooting so I doubt it matters for my usage.

Is the Speer manual the only one you have? I started out with just that one but soon learned that I needed a few more manuals. I currently have the Speer, Hornady and Nosler manuals along with the Lyman book on reloading which lists several loads. I compare the suggested loads from all those books and then I start working up my own loads.

Try experimenting with both primers and see what you get. Each rifle is different and it might like one more than the other.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Speer manual is the only book I have, but I do have print outs from Hodgdon, accurate, and a few others. I agree I need a book. I just loaded some up and used the 335 powder and charged it at 25grs. Gunna check them out. I also used CCI 450 magnums. I wanna try the benchmark powder but don't have any data for it, at least don't have data for the 55gr fmj bt bullet. It shows data for most bullets but not the fmj bt.

·
Super Moderator
47,738 Posts
The Lyman # 49 shows a 55 grain Jacket SPT bullet with the minimum of 22.7 and maximum of 25.3 of Benchmark. I would guess that the FMJ and the SPT are close enough that you could use either, even though the SPT is not a BT bullet.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to both of ya. Thanks a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.