The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told that the Mini-14's accuracy increases with a higher weight bullet, so I have some Sierra 77 grain Match King BTHP that I am loading up. The Sierra load data shows the COAL at 2.26, but the bolt face to barrel entrance measures 2.39. This is a pretty stark difference.

Anybody have any experience loading this round, and if so what COAL did you use? I am loading 21.8 grains of H322 if that matters in this conversation.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
The COAL is determined by what the mag will feed,not what's optimal.Try it at 2.255 and see how it shoots.Reality is-the accuracy of a Mini14 has nothing to do with bullet weight.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Since it's introduction, the Mini-14 has had 4 (that I know of) twist rate changes. I believe the most recent two are 1:9", and 1:7". You'll need 1:7" to stabilize the 77grn. The Sierra 69grn BTHP Match, in my experience, gets the best accuracy in twists 1:9"-1:7", with no COAL problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The COAL is determined by what the mag will feed,not what's optimal.Try it at 2.255 and see how it shoots.Reality is-the accuracy of a Mini14 has nothing to do with bullet weight.
You hear such emotional responses on this question. I loaded up a few of these with the H322 at the Sierra recommended COAL, but I really do not see any difference from the standard 55 gr FMJBT round I use in my ARs. That is what has me puzzled. The Mini-14 is supposedly a more accurate rifle in the present iteration than the earlier ones. I know I owned both Mini-14 and Mini-30 years back, and they would group on a pie plate at 100 yards. This one is better than that, but I am yet to see the 2 MOA that it supposedly is built to deliver.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since it's introduction, the Mini-14 has had 4 (that I know of) twist rate changes. I believe the most recent two are 1:9", and 1:7". You'll need 1:7" to stabilize the 77grn. The Sierra 69grn BTHP Match, in my experience, gets the best accuracy in twists 1:9"-1:7", with no COAL problems.
Thanks...can you give me the powder and dosage on the 69 grain load? My rifle is the newest version of the Mini-14.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
I've seen a 6 month old one do 4" groups-that was 20-5shot groups-best was 4".Customer was whining-told him to buy an AR if he wanted accuracy.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You hear such emotional responses on this question. I loaded up a few of these with the H322 at the Sierra recommended COAL, but I really do not see any difference from the standard 55 gr FMJBT round I use in my ARs. That is what has me puzzled. The Mini-14 is supposedly a more accurate rifle in the present iteration than the earlier ones. I know I owned both Mini-14 and Mini-30 years back, and they would group on a pie plate at 100 yards. This one is better than that, but I am yet to see the 2 MOA that it supposedly is built to deliver.
I had a 82 mini, like you the best she could give was MOPP @100 yards. I have a newer tactical in 300 BO. She will give 2 moa with the Hornady load it likes. I like the mini but if hitting a fly at 100 with a 223 is a goal you'll spend a lot less time and money with a AR IMHO.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I had a H-Bar prototype before Colt did, one if not the first with a 1:7" twist, 24" barrel. Did a lot of experimenting with loads. I don't post my loads, but you can have an idea where to start. I worked up a load with IMR 3031, somewhere around 22grns, that made one hole groups, just under 2900fps. Tried to get a few more fps with 4895, and accuracy went to hell. With the 3031 load, and a 20x target scope, 600yrds on a pack of cigarettes, got boring. Not to rain on your parade, but you won't get very close to those results with a Mini-14.
Your rifle is probably a 1:9", and a 18.5 light profile bbl just doesn't stabilize the heavier bullets like a heavy 20"+ will. The military went to the 1:9", when they went from the 55grn ball round to the 62grn. If you want to wring out all the accuracy you can get from a Mini, with the heaviest bullet, the 60-65grn weight is your ticket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I didn't buy the rifle to be a peg driver. I understand the accuracy best on it...no more than 2 MOA from all reports. I am just trying for best possible. I'll try the 2.25 COAL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a 82 mini, like you the best she could give was MOPP @100 yards. I have a newer tactical in 300 BO. She will give 2 moa with the Hornady load it likes. I like the mini but if hitting a fly at 100 with a 223 is a goal you'll spend a lot less time and money with a AR IMHO.
Thanks. I have several ARs, not looking for a peg driver. I am just trying to get the best possible. I like the feel and operation of the mini.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a H-Bar prototype before Colt did, one if not the first with a 1:7" twist, 24" barrel. Did a lot of experimenting with loads. I don't post my loads, but you can have an idea where to start. I worked up a load with IMR 3031, somewhere around 22grns, that made one hole groups, just under 2900fps. Tried to get a few more fps with 4895, and accuracy went to hell. With the 3031 load, and a 20x target scope, 600yrds on a pack of cigarettes, got boring. Not to rain on your parade, but you won't get very close to those results with a Mini-14.
Your rifle is probably a 1:9", and a 18.5 light profile bbl just doesn't stabilize the heavier bullets like a heavy 20"+ will. The military went to the 1:9", when they went from the 55grn ball round to the 62grn. If you want to wring out all the accuracy you can get from a Mini, with the heaviest bullet, the 60-65grn weight is your ticket.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Mini`s and accuracy in the same sentence?
:tinfoil:
I wasn't going to say it.:)
Back in the early '80,s when I got that H-bar prototype, there was a group of us heavy into AR's and Mini's, and ground squirrel culls. One of the Mini guys was die hard Ruger, a top notch machinist, and gunsmith. The accuracy of that H-bar was driving him nuts, even his custom built .223 bolt gun couldn't beat it. That led to the others ribbing him, and that led to a $2K Mini with a 1" OD barrel. I still beat him 2 out of 3. The only thing "Ruger" left of that gun, was the receiver, and it was heavily worked over.
Mark, if you try any of those 77grn pills in it, I would be curious to see what kind of results you get, and what your best load ends up being.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
With your rifle, I think the best you could do is to work up your load with heavier .223 bullets. You might gain some accuracy with H-335 or Benchmark and some charge weight work-ups. I gave my oldest brother a brand new Mini 14 15-20 years ago and he never talks about it. I'm guessing he wasn't too terribly impressed with it?

If it were mine, I'd grab some H-335, some 69 grain green tip M855 bullets, maybe 200 cases of the same manufacture, some Remington SR primers and a good reloading manual and start off with the 'STARTING LOAD' and work up towards the "MAXIMUM CHARGE WEIGHT" and quit when you've reach your most accurate load. If you get just under that Maximum Charge and still don't have good groups, try the same thing with Benchmark. If that doesn't do the trick, use the rifle for a club or sell it.:twocents:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe try a different powder CFE 223 works well for me it is one of the only 2 powders I’ve liked so much that I got an 8 lb jug. I wouldn’t give up on whatever your goal is for accuracy. I am not familiar with the mini 14 at all I’ve picked one up at a gun show and put it back down on the table cause I wasn’t gonna pay $800 for it. But I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to pull off decent groups.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts