223 PRIMER PROBLEM W/ DILLON 650

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by SCORBETT, Apr 12, 2009.

1. SCORBETT

SCORBETT New Member

I am trying to reload 223 military brass. I swaged with the dillon swager and used a sinclair primer pocket tool to square the hole. When using the dillon 650, about every 3rd round the primer crushes and does not seat or it seats crookedly. The primers seat fine in a single state press. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. artabr

artabr New Member

Something is out of alinement. I'm not familiar with the 650, I use the 550, but I would guess that you need to make an adjustment somewhere. Either in the primer slide or the shell plate platform need to be tweaked.

Welcome to the forum.

Art

3. SCORBETT

SCORBETT New Member

Thanks for the reply Art. I will double check everything and hope to find something out of whack.
    Scott

4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

When I setup my Dillon RL550B for a specific caliber I shine a flash light on to the primer cup with the press handle at the bottom of its travel. I peer down the empty primer tube and if the cup is not centered in the end of the primer tube I adjust the position of the primer slide or the delivery tube until it is. I also make sure that the hole in the table that the primer cup pokes through is aligned with the cup. If the edge of the cup clips the bottom of the table as the handle is operated it will flip a primer around in the cup, sometimes to an upside down position or to a sideways position. If you get the adjustment of the primer delivery system of the Dillon adjusted correctly then primer seating is never a problem. I assume your RL650 is similar in design.

But if all that is correct and the problem persists, call Dillon's technical staff. They are very well informed and want to help you.

LDBennett

5. 3ME

3ME New Member

I have experienced the same problem on my 650 and I am not sure I could walk you through it myself. The best advice I can give you is to get a phone in front of your reloader and call the Dillon Tech Support guy. It is a minor tweak adjustment that will determine how far that circular wheel that holds the primers will advance. It is one of those things you have to play with a little because a 1° change in how far it advances makes a huge difference in how the primers will align with the primer pockets. Call Tech Support and you won’t be sorry you did. They are excellent!

6. artabr

artabr New Member

+2 on calling Tech Support, 1-800-233-4570 (I love this #) ;) :)

Art

7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

OR, to save trouble on trying to figure out why an over complicated piece of reloading machinery wont work properly, you could just buy a 15 dollar LEE hand primer tool and not ever worry about it again...;)

8. 3ME

3ME New Member

Uh huh, bring your Lee on over and load these 15,000 cases I have on hand. :D