The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was buying my .223 55gr bullets from everglades ammo, but they were out of stock. so i signed up for the email alert for restock. I got my email today saying the bullets were in. check this out i was paying $48 per 500 or 98 per 1000 now the place wants $139 per 500 and $259 per 1000. thats outragous. im not paying that much. i guess ill be shopping around now. Price gouging at its best.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
yep.. IF you wanna spend that kinda money on .224s order some SMKs from midway. that about he goin rate for match grade projectiles.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks fellas, i cant believe that the prices rose that much on projectiles. i dont even think those are match grade. can you make a lead .224 bullet if you keep the velocity down?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
yes, but generally not advisable to shoot in a gas gun. People do it though, there's guys on the castboolit forum that shoot lead outta their M1A's and such.

price gouging sucks.

I love Midway, I got some 62gn Armscor a while ago, 1000 pack for $90 or so.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it not advisable because the bullet breaks up at the high speeds?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
no, it leads up the gas system, not so bad on an AR as piston driven stuff but also with .223 velocities, ya gotta keep them slowed down even with gas checks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cast lead .224 bullets are all gas check designs. Meaning, there's a copper/guilding metal cup on the bottom of the boolit. This helps prevent leading and any crud getting into the gas system.

The prevailing myth about lead in gas operated semi-auto's causing problems is just plain false. You're SUPPOSED to clean the gas system regularly,,,---right?

That said, you cannot drive them to the same velocities as a jacketed bullet. UNLESS you use a heavy-for-caliber-bullet. AND have a fast enough rate of twist to stabilize it. A 65-70 grain lead boolit is longer
than the same weight jacketed bullet.

As for the rise in bullet prices, that's simply price gouging. I have all I need, and IF I run out of jacketed, I'll just switch to lead!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts