The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my area, the retailer's that have .22 ammo, only sells in limited quantity. 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mags per person. It's almost like CCI are the only ones producing .22s. Having said this, doesn't that pretty much eliminate the "Hording" that so many put to claim?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Isn't CCI more of a .22 manufacturer than anything else? I can see their products popping up before say Winchester, who has multiple calibers that they produce, and probably don't have dedicated production lines for each one.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Read through this thread and then ask yourself if that article has any truth in it. 22 ammo is simply not entering the marketplace. It is produced by the millions of rounds not thousands. How many hoarders have millions of rounds. After 2 years this situation would have corrected itself under most any normal circumstance. Every article I have read about the subject has holes you could drive a truck through. Which is it? New shooters, Big Magazines, Women Shooters, Hoarders, Lack Of Profit, More 22 Rifles To Feed. If you throw out enough reasons sooner or later one will catch on. I have read articles that state the production has not been increased at all. This one claimed it is running 3 shifts a day. Ask yourself another question.

How much 22 do I shoot now compared to 3 years ago?

I bet it is way less. So they are trying to convince us that most of the ammo being produced it just being put in a closet. America should have a pretty good supply stockpiled by now. I know guys who don't take their kids shooting nearly as much as they used to, this is the biggest downside to this situation.

I see 22 available all the time now for 7 to 10 dollars a box of 50. If hoarding were the problem even that would be gone even with a 2 box limit by the stores. It sits until someone needs it and then sells. The true hoarders have enough or they would still be buying.

The truth about this lies with the manufacturers and they are not telling it to us! The writers of articles like this are just repeating what they are being told by the manufacturers.

That is my opinion for what it is worth.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
i agree. something, somewhere is going on.

I think i've shot less than 50 rounds of 22lr in the last 2 years....

Not counting the super price ripoff places like gun show 'dealers' or cheaper than dirtbags that were selling 22lr like it was centerfire prices, I have seen 22lr for sale about 3 times in a commercial /retail environment ( gandor, walmart. etc ).

I actually even made a retial purchase of 22lr in the past 2 years.. though it was the usual box limit.

if there's no ammo out there.. why make more 22lr guns. if there's no ammo out there, why buy a 22lr gun.

if it's hoarders, i'd say after a couple years, we americans should have millions upon millions of rounds stored up by now! at the prices being charged by the scalpers, i don't see how in this economy one could afford to hoard?!

·
Super Moderator
40,713 Posts
In my opinion, which ain't worth a lot, the manufacturers of .22 ammo are in the same league as the oil companies. The oil companies cut production to get the prices where they wanted it then gave us a few cents off to make us feel good. The .22 manufacturers cut production to get the price where they wanted it, so now, all of a sudden, there are more .22s available.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The local vendors here still laugh when I ask if they have .22LR in stock. One store does carry some, but they seem to think they are cast of gold.
I have been finding it online, for more than I am comfortable paying, but I do pay. Not those usurious ********* prices, but high enough to hurt. I shoot rimfire far less now than some years back, and have gone over to the air gun side. Pellets are cheap and widely available, and just as accurate as a good .22LR in the right air gun. Both give me the shooting pleasure I crave.
As to centerfire, I reload all calibers I shoot. If reloading rimfire were easier and cheaper I'd be doing it too. Yes, the tools exist to do it...... they ain't cheap!

·
AKA George
534 Posts
$16.99 a box... Wow! It's good that they have it but good grief, that's highway robbery unless the "green Tag" indicates something special. The local shop here had the same stuff for $7 a few weeks ago. Looks like supply and demand is still in full swing for .22 ammo.

·
AKA George
534 Posts
In my opinion, which ain't worth a lot, the manufacturers of .22 ammo are in the same league as the oil companies. The oil companies cut production to get the prices where they wanted it then gave us a few cents off to make us feel good. The .22 manufacturers cut production to get the price where they wanted it, so now, all of a sudden, there are more .22s available.
Overall, what you say about the ammo manufacturers is probably true but in this case, both Mogunner in Missouri and myself in Arizona saw the same ammo for $7 while your shop in Georgia is charging $17 or 242% higher! So it appears that it is the retailer that is jacking the price up since I can't imagine his wholesale cost is that much higher than the other retailers in different parts of the country.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
You almost have it George. There have been no new facilities built to cover the shortage of ammo, just like there have been no refineries built for production of gasoline. Lots of new shooters, a little hoarding, and the only thing the ammo companies have done is add a third shift, and that was two years ago. Demand is up, and rising, but production has not risen to meet demand. The ammo companies, and the powder companies, both think this demand will fall back to normal levels, and do not intend to build new factories for the production of popular calibers of ammo. Therefore, there is no way they will ever be able to meet the demands of the public. Prices will continue to rise, and rise, but until new factories are built there will continue to be shortages of both ammo, and powder for reloading.

·
Premium Member
19,716 Posts
When this started I thought it would come back to normal in 5 months. Then I thought in a year it will be back. I no longer believe we will see any until Obama is out of office. I don't know where it is all going but I no longer believe it ever sees the market place.

·
AKA George
534 Posts
I remembered watching a few youtube videos a while back where idiots were bragging about how much ammo they have stockpiled, .22 ammo in particular so thought I'd look again to see how much some of these idiots had and it surprised me to see how widespread this is. One video (
)
pretty well shows how a lot of these kids have turned the shortage into a game to see who can SCORE the most ammo then shoot a video showing the results. You've got these jerks bragging about joining the 30,000 round .22 club and when one reaches a high score, others don't sleep until they oust the new leader and they become the winners.

For those of you saying that hoarders aren't a big part of the problem, watch a few of these stupid videos and you may just change your mind. You didn't have thousands of these kids playing these games a few years ago so factor them into the equation next time you run through your numbers of shooters.

The jerk in the video above convinced an ignorant clerk to sell him three boxes. She obviously didn't know about the shortage and agreed to sell him three boxes, the only thing is that what she called a box isn't what we call a box and he wound up with three cases of ammo.

·
Garandaholic
9,494 Posts
You almost have it George. There have been no new facilities built to cover the shortage of ammo, just like there have been no refineries built for production of gasoline. Lots of new shooters, a little hoarding, and the only thing the ammo companies have done is add a third shift, and that was two years ago. Demand is up, and rising, but production has not risen to meet demand. The ammo companies, and the powder companies, both think this demand will fall back to normal levels, and do not intend to build new factories for the production of popular calibers of ammo. Therefore, there is no way they will ever be able to meet the demands of the public. Prices will continue to rise, and rise, but until new factories are built there will continue to be shortages of both ammo, and powder for reloading.
Not sure about the excrement :), but all they did was add some overtime and crank up the production however they could without making new capital investments. They're not going too either. Any given day these companies are faced with the prospect of their perfectly legal, constitutionally protected business being outlawed. No company will take that risk until the fascist climate in the country changes.

·
Garandaholic
9,494 Posts
I remembered watching a few youtube videos a while back where idiots were bragging about how much ammo they have stockpiled, .22 ammo in particular so thought I'd look again to see how much some of these idiots had and it surprised me to see how widespread this is. One video (
)
pretty well shows how a lot of these kids have turned the shortage into a game to see who can SCORE the most ammo then shoot a video showing the results. You've got these jerks bragging about joining the 30,000 round .22 club and when one reaches a high score, others don't sleep until they oust the new leader and they become the winners.

For those of you saying that hoarders aren't a big part of the problem, watch a few of these stupid videos and you may just change your mind. You didn't have thousands of these kids playing these games a few years ago so factor them into the equation next time you run through your numbers of shooters.

The jerk in the video above convinced an ignorant clerk to sell him three boxes. She obviously didn't know about the shortage and agreed to sell him three boxes, the only thing is that what she called a box isn't what we call a box and he wound up with three cases of ammo.
You can call me names and blame me. I own 25,000 rounds of .22lr. I sought it out. I didn't push anybody out of the way, and I bought my fill. I don't intend to resell any, I intend to shoot it and never run out. Sorry if that offends you, but painting me in with flippers, scammers and con-artists offends me.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Not sure about the excrement :), but all they did was add some overtime and crank up the production however they could without making new capital investments. They're not going too either. Any given day these companies are faced with the prospect of their perfectly legal, constitutionally protected business being outlawed. No company will take that risk until the fascist climate in the country changes.
Thanks for catching that misspelled word! That was ugly!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
You can call me names and blame me. I own 25,000 rounds of .22lr. I sought it out. I didn't push anybody out of the way, and I bought my fill. I don't intend to resell any, I intend to shoot it and never run out. Sorry if that offends you, but painting me in with flippers, scammers and con-artists offends me.
Same here. I will not apologize for amount of .22 ammo that I have. Most of my stash is over 4 years old, some of it is over 8 years old. And very little has been bought in the last two years.

·
Premium Member
19,716 Posts
)

I never pass up any 22lr I see for sale at any store. I have been able to amass plenty in the last few years. I do have a problem with some one buying it all.

How many people in this area couldn't take their kids to the range because this guy bought all the ammo? I was at the range a few months ago and a father took his young son out with his rifle and pistol to teach him to shoot. He had less than 100 rounds. The range had no more. They were packing up to leave and I ask him if he would like to buy an extra brick I had in the car for what I paid for it. He did and they had a good day at the range.

To me this is just greed. Isn't greed one of the 7 deadly sins?

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
i've probably bought less than 100 in the last year, and in the last 2 years, less than3 boxes.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I've probably given away more than I have bought in the last two years.

·
AKA George
534 Posts
Good for you but why lash out at me, did you think my post was directed towards you, or are you the kid in the video? Read my post again and you will clearly see that I was talking about kids posting their ammo stockpiles on you tube and bragging about how much they have as if this were some sort of game where the winner has the most ammo. Not one word was said about "flippers, scammers and con-artists" and if my post about kids stockpiling ammo just to see who can collect the most offends you then that's your problem, not mine so don't lay any of your nonsense on me!

But just to be clear:
1. I didn't even see where you posted about your stash and could care less how many rounds you have. You can be a competition shooter going through 2,000 rounds a week, I don't know and again, I don't care.

2. I am not offended by what you or anyone else does so don't assume I am

3. Recently, quite a few members were trying to figure out the causes of the shortages and all most could come up with were either government conspiracies or factories lying to us about their production rates without even considering the REAL world cold hard facts like thousands if not millions of NEW shooters and thousands of jerks like I mentioned in the above video who think stockpiling is the latest rage.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.