The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey guys, I can tell you where to look for .22 ammo! I have been picking up a steady supply of it at local estate and consignment auctions. I picked up two bricks (1,000 rounds) of Winchester Wildcats at $10 a brick about three weeks ago. Nobody was bidding on it. I have been picking up a fairly steady supply of ammo that way. My local gun shops have plenty of it too. The chain stores have nothing. I have picked up .22 Remington Shorts for my daughter's rifle ($3.99 a box), CCI Mini Mags 100-round boxes ($8.99 each), CCI Quiet .22's for $2.99 per 50 and even found some Maxi Mag .22 mags for $7.99 per 50 (that was the first .22 mag I have seen in 3 years!), all at my local gun shops. The trick is they limit their customers to 2 boxes per day. When my wife and kids go with me, they will let me buy two boxes for each if I want, but I done right much business with them thru the years. One of the local gun shops have been giving out the 333 round bricks with the purchase of any new .22 rifle for a Christmas special. But try your local auctions! I have a good auction site for local auctions if anyone wants it, give me a PM! I have found some heck of deals at auctions on all calibers when other bidders are sleeping! I picked up around 500 pieces of Lake City 30-06 brass and a couple dozen M1 clips for 15 bucks last weekend! It is out there, you just have to get off the beaten path.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I was at a Sportsman's Warehouse to look at a gun safe. It was nuts with people being a couple days before Christmas. While looking at the safes that were on sale, I noticed an employee with a cart stocking shelves where the rimfire ammo USED to be.
He had 2 cases of Thunderbolts (which I hate) and 3 cases of Winchester 100 rd. packs.
I commented that I hadn't seen any .22 in a long time. He offered me a brick of the "Thunderduds" and I refused. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. I told him I had plenty.
There was a father there who had just bought his kid a 10/22, I walked over and told them that the guy was unloading bricks of .22 right down the counter a bit.
They both beat feet over there and grabbed a brick of the Remingtons. They both came over and thanked me, just as the swarm decended on the .22's.
I saw those 5 cases disappear in less than 10 minutes. It was crazy. It doesn't come in often, and the long lines are gone. But when it appears....look out. People seem to lose all sense of decency...pushing, shoving...you know. The Christmas Spirit! LOL.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Ain't that the truth!
I won't go any where near a town until after the 1st of the year. I don't like crowds to start with, and Christmas shoppers are the worst!

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
Kinda screwy how folks with cool heads can get squirrely when it comes to guns and ammo. The last .22 ammo I bought was maybe back in 2012. I used to buy it when I found it at reasonable prices, and over the course of 40 years I've managed to accumulate enough to last this 'dry spell'.

I like and appreciate the attitude of not buying all of what is on the shelves. The only problem I have with folks buying ammo are the ones who buy it just to sell it at a profit. I know it is legal, and I know that there are some "good folks" who do it, but that doesn't make it right. Now isn't the time to build a stash, either. Let the current crisis end before you do that. King Obozo and Prince Harry won't be in charge forever.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Jim, you were smart to stock-up before the SandyHook "Crisis"affected ammo. This "Dry Spell" is going on 3 years now! I still remember guys telling me that this shortage would last for at least 6 months....and that was 2 & 1/2 years ago. My way of thinking is that the "Dry spell" will diminish when O'Bummer leaves office. Let's hope that he isn't replaced with someone WORSE! I don't want to mention names, but their initals are Hillary & Elizabeth.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
This dry spell ain't going away until the ammo factories step up with new factories. We are looking at the new norm. Just like gas, ammo prices will rise until folks slow way down on what they are buying.

·
Super Moderator
26,925 Posts
The 22s are out there if you're willing to search and sometimes pay. Slickguns has a thread on the site now for Winchesters. Going by some of the prices I've seen, doesn't seem to awfully bad for what it is.

·
AKA George
534 Posts
Jim, you were smart to stock-up before the SandyHook "Crisis"affected ammo. This "Dry Spell" is going on 3 years now! I still remember guys telling me that this shortage would last for at least 6 months....and that was 2 & 1/2 years ago. My way of thinking is that the "Dry spell" will diminish when O'Bummer leaves office. Let's hope that he isn't replaced with someone WORSE! I don't want to mention names, but their initals are Hillary & Elizabeth.
I keep hearing....... when obamma leaves office. Does everyone really think hillary will let up any at all when she takes over for the next eight years. This a liberal agenda not just obamma's and we live in a liberal country now. Don't believe it, would you ever had guessed obamma would be re-elected after screwing up the country in the first four years. Those same people will look to hillary to pull out of this mess!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 1957 Ruger Standard and had the option of buying a 325 bulk box of some brand of ammo that they had in the back room to go with a .22 firearm purchase (none out for sale) but I passed it up.

Then I got to shooting this thing and realized I was going to need more ammo!

So I went back and asked if I could get a "rain check" on the ammo because of that handgun purchase.

"Yes but all we have in back now is one 100 round box of Win. left and it will be $13.00 + tax"

...OUCH! :eek:

Well I was there and the ammo was there so...:confused:

Guess I'll shoot it more slowly and carefully to get the most enjoyment out of that overpriced ammo...geeze. :(

Still cheaper to shoot than any centerfire I own and for me it's just as fun. :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I think there is an opportunity to score some 22 just like on black Friday at Christmas.I would think some of the stores would hold some back.

·
Registered
17,773 Posts
I had to go into WalMart in desperation today for a 49' ext cord... Place looked lil what u might expect if the govt announced a worldwide disaster and told people they had 8 hours to stock up on enough food for 3 weeks. That was early am, passed by at 9pm, looked the same.. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
19,581 Posts
I don't think Hillary has a chance. I don't think Jeb will make it either. People are fed up with the status quo. We need some one with a real positive attitude. Like Ronald Reagan did after the Carter administration. Not that Ron was a great president but his positive attitude changed the country.

·
Garandaholic
9,478 Posts
I don't think Hillary has a chance. I don't think Jeb will make it either. People are fed up with the status quo. We need some one with a real positive attitude. Like Ronald Reagan did after the Carter administration. Not that Ron was a great president but his positive attitude changed the country.
You do not think Ronald Reagan was a great president?

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'll say it again. I don't think it's going to be Billary. The pretty boys and girls in the News Media are really doing their best to make Swiftboat Kerry look Presidential. Billary is getting too fat, old and wrinkled to be the top of the ticket. I'm thinking Swiftie and that Commie/fake Indian gal from Mass. will be the DEM ticket.

They will be a shoe-in if the dumb a$$ed Republican Party runs somebody like Christie or another Bush. Can anyone imagine what sort of a chance another Bush would have? You've all heard it before - a "Moderate Republican who will be acceptable" (like McCain and Romney were). That way, many conservatives will cast their vote someone other than who the GOP runs and ensure that the DEMS take the election.

If we can pull it off, and elect someone who is not anti-gun (and that sure isn't an East Coast Big City Liberal Republican like Christie) - maybe this panic will end. I'm just not confident that the GOP is smart enough to figure it out. They will listen to the communist news media and run who they tell the GOP has a chance - as if the media has the best interests of the GOP at heart.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Folks, this isn't going to turn out well! The Republicans will run another "good ole boy", no matter who is the better conservative.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I'm afraid the GOP will again nominate some idiot with no chance of winning. Bushie3 comes to mind. As does Christie and perhaps Romney II. Perhaps Scott Walker, he hasn't put his foot in his mouth as of yet. And Brady, you're right about Kerry & Warren. However, the positions may be reversed. Hillary is a played-out old hag with too much baggage, but "At this point, what difference does it make?"

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The Presidential election is won based on the moderates in the middle who can go either way. It makes no sense to put up a Republican candidate that is pure right wing conservative if that person can not drag the moderates to the right enough to vote for the republican ticket.

While in theory a pure right wing conservative sound good (like a Tea Party), it will not work as the moderates might not want pure conservatism. It is all about compromise.

We have undergone 6 years, plus two to go, of Progressive liberalism (same as the Clintons) and if we do not pull the moderates to the Republican party we may get 4 to 8 more years of it. At the end of that period the Progressive liberals will have destroyed America as we once knew it.

Let's not hear the call for pure conservatism, but a compromise that will drive the Progressive liberals out of control.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, compromise has two definitions. It can refer to negotiations to resolve a dispute with each person or group giving up something; it also can apply to a change that makes something worse for no good reason. Which meaning more accurately describes the up coming presidential election?

81 - 100 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.