The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite 22lr ammo for small game hunting? What about for varmint? How about just general plinking?

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
Don't do any hunting around here but the best is cci.

·
Registered
131 Posts
depends on the weapon
CCI is first choice for a semi
actually prefer a lead tip round for my single shot bolt.
drops the prey just as well as a HP but less meat damage if I hit mid body

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts
Aguila Interceptors for an all around hi-power round
Aguila Supermax if you want the highest velocity available...watch these though, they don't always feed in all guns perfectly due to the slightly longer case (the oal is standard)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
What is your favorite 22lr ammo for small game hunting? What about for varmint? How about just general plinking?
Any brand 40 gr solid will work for me, what I use the most is Blazer and Remington Gold because of the price. When I am shooting longer ranges or competition I go to more expensive ammo like CCI Mini -Mag and Winchester Super X.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I use the cheapest ammo I can find, and that's usually Federal 550rd pack. I perfer the solids, but the 38gr hollow points work to. They just tear up too much meat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use the Remington value pack for just plinking, 525 rounds for about 17.00, the only problem is about 1 round in 10 are duds.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
It depends on what I am feeding. My mossberg 715t only wants the fast stuff, more than 1300 fps. I am going to see if yellow jackets will work in it. My 10/22 does not like yellow jackets.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I no longer hunt.

CCI Minimag HV solids.... and CCI Standard Velocity for the serious target guns.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,735 Posts
I don't hunt, only shoot paper. For general practice I use Federal Auto Match, or CCI SV. Serious shooting I go to something a little better like Wolf MT, SK Standard +, or if
I want even smaller holes I go to Eley Target or Lapua Center +. Standard velocity/ sub sonic ammo works better for me.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
You should look into ordering some Eley if your local shop dont have it

Eley makes the ammo for our US Shooting teams

I run either that or Wolf Match in my heavy barrell 10/22 for the greatest accuracy.
Other than that, winchester and CCI are really good
I will not buy any more Federal if I can help it. The last batch was full of FTF

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dropped a 20 - 25 pound wood chuck with a head shot from about 25 - 30 yards with my Winchester Model 69 loaded with CCI 40 Grain Velocitor ammo. Never twitched.

Works pretty well in most of the 22's I have:D:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts