The Firearms Forum banner

22LR in an AR-15

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
My Target Master 22LR conversion BCG is complete blowback design and it does not actuate the recoil buffer. If you want an AR-15 that is completely dedicated for 22LR why do you need a gas system or a recoil spring and buffer? If you do not install a gas block do you need to plug the gas vent on the barrel?

Am I screwed up with my thinking here?

Reactions: carver
#2 ·
Im kinda lost with your question. I don't have an ar-15 that's a dedicated .22LR but I would think it would still need a gas system to be semi auto, otherwise how would it cycle?

#5 ·
Okay, I've done a little more research. I am correct on the above assumptions. But, my research may be sending me in a different direction than I had originally intended.

Looks like a Beyer match barrel with a CMMG dedicated BCG with the barrel collar assembly. The barrel collar looks like it may fit my Target Master conversion kit. I need to check it out.

#8 ·
My opinion is that any of these conversions that use the 223 barrel are mistakes. The 22LR barrel groove diameter is not the same as the 223 grove diameter. The former is .222 inches and the later is .224 inches according to the SAMMI drawings. For best accuracy the 22LR AR needs a 22LR barrel. In fact, a complete upper 22LR conversion for an AR I think a much better solution. I have a TAC SOL all steel 22LR upper I bought several years back that is a tack driver.

The TAC SOL unit drops into the gun and needs the buffer in the stock to push against during recoil. Without the buffer and spring the unit might damage the gun. The recoil generated is not enough to move the buffer in recoil. **

A dedicated 22LR barrel has no gas block or gas hole in the barrel.

Additionally, a device that plugs into the 223 barrel (replaces the 223 chamber with a 22LR chamber with the exterior shape of a 223 cartridge are a kludge in my opinion and unless the fit is perfect are another accuracy degrader.

For plinking these converters for a AR barrel are fine, I suppose, but for best accuracy a match level 22 complete upper is a much better choice. If building an AR dedicated to 22LR usage only then it does not make sense to me to use a 223 barrel. Any 223 barrel you might buy will have the gas block and gas hole and any 22LR barrel you might buy will not have the 223 chamber you need for one of these converters. A complete upper is a much better choice.

This is, of course, my opinion and I am not aware of every product on the market place. I could be wrong and you get to choose.

LDBennett

** I did find that the TAC SOL blow back mechanism bounced on the face of the buffer marring that face. I added a plastic buffer to protect the buffer face. Problem solved.

#9 ·
After I researched more last night I agree with you. If it is to be a dedicated 22 then I would buy a 22LR barrel which is noted in post #5 above. Also, I agree the buffer or a fixed plug would be needed to hold the BCG in place during recoil. Or possibly the rear of the BCG could be modified to rest against and on the buffer retainer. Only reason to do this is to save weight and a little money.

#11 ·
tuckerd1:

So who makes a 22 barrel with a 223 chamber for the BCG converter to fit into?

LDBennett
Beyer barrels makes several 22LR barrels for AR's. It has a 22 chamber that eliminates the the 223 chamber.
Auto part Tool accessory Metal

CMMG makes a barrel collar that eliminates the 223 chamber adapter on the conversion kit.
Auto part Wheel

Your 22 BCG now looks like this
Cylinder Tool accessory Auto part

#14 ·
Look at these two 22 conversion units. The top one is CMMG and the other is Tactical Industries which I have. Other than the chamber converter they look almost identical. There is a notch on the back plate of the CMMG unit that is not on the TI unit. That barrel collar may just work on mine. I'll talk to the owner of TI this week and see what he knows about this. If this will work it could save over $150 by not buying the CMMG BCG.
Tool accessory Tool Auto part Machine

Gun Trigger Shotgun Air gun Revolver

#16 ·
Look at these two 22 conversion units. The top one is CMMG and the other is Tactical Industries which I have. Other than the chamber converter they look almost identical. There is a notch on the back plate of the CMMG unit that is not on the TI unit. That barrel collar may just work on mine. I'll talk to the owner of TI this week and see what he knows about this. If this will work it could save over $150 by not buying the CMMG BCG.
I just got an answer from Tactical Industries. The CMMG barrel collar will work with my conversion unit. That saves over $170 by not having to buy the CMMG conversion kit with the barrel collar.

#17 ·
The first .22 LR Conversion Units were referred to as " M261 Sub-Caliber Adapters". We got those back in the early '80s. The idea was to allow low-cost indoor practice and reduced-range qualification for the M16A1 rifles. The ARNG Unit that I was attached to back in about 1982 actually conducted Annual Rifle Qualification with these .22 Conversion Units, and we were able to do this qualification in the Armory 25' Indoor shooting range with reduced-size targets. The benefit was that we didn't have to transport the Unit Personnel to an outdoor full-size range with the usual transportation/convoy/mess/logistics considerations.

The basic concept is the same today. The .22 adapters do not use the AR's gas system to function the action - they are purely blow-back in operation. The recoil buffer only acts to hold the .22 adapter in place.

As stated above, for top accuracy a dedicated .22 caliber barrel should be used. A standard .223/5.56mm barrel will handle a .22 Long Rifle bullet with acceptable plinking accuracy - but for best results, a dedicated .22 caliber barrel is much more accurate.

I have 2 of the CMMG adapters, and from what I see they are the same as the old M261 adapters. The only difference was that our original adapters used a 10 round insert for the 5.56mm magazines, while the CMMG units today come with dedicated .22 LR magazines.

#19 ·
At least this thread is five years newer than the other one on .22 Lr AR’s...I strongly suggest a AR dedicated To rimfire is the only way to have+a relatively malfunction free firearm. Mine is a DPMS with the upper totally dedicated to l r and the lower capable of accepting any of the .223 size uppers. The magazines are Black Dog and contribute greatly to the super reliability of this unit. All in all it has the weight and controls of an m4 Carbine and except for the .22 rimfire sound and lack of any recoil is indistinguishable from a 5.56 version.
I like my S&W 15-22 but for a real AR to hunt furry critters digging holes in your front yard the DPMS dedicated unit is great.

#20 ·
At least this thread is five years newer than the other one on .22 Lr AR's...I strongly suggest a AR dedicated To rimfire is the only way to have+a relatively malfunction free firearm. Mine is a DPMS with the upper totally dedicated to l r and the lower capable of accepting any of the .223 size uppers. The magazines are Black Dog and contribute greatly to the super reliability of this unit. All in all it has the weight and controls of an m4 Carbine and except for the .22 rimfire sound and lack of any recoil is indistinguishable from a 5.56 version.
I like my S&W 15-22 but for a real AR to hunt furry critters digging holes in your front yard the DPMS dedicated unit is great.
I'd like an adapter so I could fire .22WMR out of my AR, with the .224 diameter it would be very accurate I would think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.