The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every since I bought my Rough Rider six shooter, I’ve been trying to chase down some 22mag CCI shotshells. I finally did and they should be here by Sunday.

I wasn’t impressed with the 22lr shells. I figure those might kill a rat, but only make a snake mad. Snakes around the house are the main reason I bought them.

Theses will only be used in the revolver, not in a rifle. I figure if I have to grab a rifle, I would just grab my 410.

I do know the difference between good snakes and “bad snakes”, so don’t attack me for that, lol.

Any thoughts on the 22mag shot shells ?

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
Don’t know anything about them. What are the specs? I’d suspect that a feller could probably make his own by pulling the bullets adding a over-powder card and fill with the same weight of #9 shot. Top it off with another card and glue it down. I did shoot a rattlesnake with a .38 and snake shot.....did a number on him to be sure.

·
Premium Member
12,231 Posts
#12 shot ain't very big, that's why it's called "dust". Might work if the distance is measured in single digit feet.

Bad snakes are the ones that don't abide by my rules.

·
Administrator
11,869 Posts
Is there such a thing as a good snake? Not to me!
Yes there definitely is! I have a king snake living around my house. He keeps the bad snakes away.

After I finished building my house 18 years ago I was cleaning up construction debris. He was under a pile of short 2 by. I picked him up an carried him away. He came right back to that pile. I had to put him in a 5 gal bucket and covered it with a piece of plywood. When I finished cleaning up I let him go.

I used to enjoy watching him crawl across the yard and climb trees.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I tried all varieties of so called "snake loads" for handguns. By and large, they all sucked. From .38's on down. My daughter & son-in-law got me a Judge for remodeling their bathroom. That sucker has piled up a bunch of rattlesnakes and blue & ruffed grouse for me over the years. The only snake gun that may equal it is the S&W Governor.

·
Premium Member
12,231 Posts
In all the years I have been shooting I have never tried any shot loads in handguns. So to be candid, anything I say about them is from the experience of others I trust...and they all concur with what those who have used them say. For snakes and other vermin they got the same thing as everything else. Usually the standard weight bullet for whatever cartridge I was using at the time. 160 gr. for 38/357...the few times I actually carried one...240 for 44's and 255 for 45's. Ah...a few have succumbed to my 380 ACP with 90 gr. FMJ's and various 22's. A 16 bore shotgun or drilling settles any such matters in a decided and dramatic manner. THERE'S a shot load for snakes for you......:LOL:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In all the years I have been shooting I have never tried any shot loads in handguns. So to be candid, anything I say about them is from the experience of others I trust...and they all concur with what those who have used them say. For snakes and other vermin they got the same thing as everything else. Usually the standard weight bullet for whatever cartridge I was using at the time. 160 gr. for 38/357...the few times I actually carried one...240 for 44's and 255 for 45's. Ah...a few have succumbed to my 380 ACP with 90 gr. FMJ's and various 22's. A 16 bore shotgun or drilling settles any such matters in a decided and dramatic manner. THERE'S a shot load for snakes for you......:LOL:
A couple of times this summer I used 9mm 147grain on snakes. But with the price of 9mm ammo, I stopped that.

My 12 gauge with #4 shot sends them flying in pieces. My 410 with #4 shot does a great job also.

I’ll probably just use 22 shorts in my 6 shooter.

But I see CCI makes a #4 shotshell in 38/357mag. Maybe I should use that as an excuse to buy a Ruger BlackHawk, lol.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
I find the 22lr and 22 mag shot shells to be more of a novelty and ineffective. Reason is the rifling in the barrel spreads the shot too much. If you have to get that close to shoot a snake might as well use regular ammo or use a .410 shot gun. I've seen some smooth bore 22lr rifles but at the moment the I can't remember who made them.

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
I believe it was Remington that made the smooth bores. You used it with this contraption that threw tiny clay pigeons. Guess it was like backyard skeet.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I find the 22lr and 22 mag shot shells to be more of a novelty and ineffective. Reason is the rifling in the barrel spreads the shot too much. If you have to get that close to shoot a snake might as well use regular ammo or use a .410 shot gun. I've seen some smooth bore 22lr rifles but at the moment the I can't remember who made them.
Henry makes a Garden Gun Smoothbore .22 lever action. Retails for around $350.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 22mag shotshells came in and I tried them out yesterday. Seems like a little target practice on my birthday was just what I needed.
I found them to be an improvement over the 22lr version. I still have my doubts if one round would take out a snake. But if I fired all 6 shots it might, or at least do enough damage to render it safe to take other actions.
I was shooting from about 10 feet away.

·
GUNZILLA
6,422 Posts
The 22mag shotshells came in and I tried them out yesterday. Seems like a little target practice on my birthday was just what I needed.
I found them to be an improvement over the 22lr version. I still have my doubts if one round would take out a snake. But if I fired all 6 shots it might, or at least do enough damage to render it safe to take other actions.
I was shooting from about 10 feet away.
I find that a HOE is more effective on snakes......and I mean a HOE used in a garden!

Reactions: Firpo
1 - 20 of 23 Posts