243 Sako Ground hog sunday . Buddy had rough night

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Limbo Jimbo, May 17, 2020.

1. Limbo Jimbo

Limbo Jimbo Well-Known Member

2. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

You made a woodchuck a good woodchuck.

Nice looking Sako. I have a Sako too. 9A449C21-AD92-4765-B3D3-AEAFC4BB7864.jpeg

P.S. Your dog really needs to attend AA.

jwdurf, flboots, ms6852 and 1 other person like this.

3. Limbo Jimbo

Wow thats cool did you make the stock .

4. PRR1957

The stock is a older McMillan, foam core fiberglass outer. It was painted black and the grip had finger grooves which I sanded off. Re painted first with a self etching primer. Second with a grit type paint, applying it extra thick on the grip, followed with a light over spray of a sand color, finished with five costs of clear. This what it first looked like before. 1E905B2D-B370-440D-99B0-3963EEFD7078.jpeg

I love woodchuck hunting, but can not find any land to hunt them even though were I live is surrounded by thousands of acres of farmed land. Land owners are afraid my shots could hit someone, so they are all worried about lawsuits.

P.S. It is chambered for 6mm PPC.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    jwdurf, Limbo Jimbo and flboots like this.
  5. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Nice looking remake of the stock.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  6. Limbo Jimbo

Like the new stock . Were I live farmers are happy to have people come to shoot them some the guys go from farm shooting them .

PRR1957 likes this.
  7. PRR1957

Limbo Jimbo,

Does your Sako have the two way adjustable target trigger ?

My Sako had the target trigger and I could not adjust it to my liking. It was supposed to be either set as a single stage or two stage. It did not work well in either set up. I removed the trigger and sold it on a Sako forum and replaced it with a Timney.

I see that you have a muzzle break on the barrel. Does it allow you to spot your shots ?

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    jwdurf, shootbrownelk and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  8. Limbo Jimbo

my sako has adjustable trigger ,I have it set as a hair trigger barley touch it and it go's off .have set at diffrent pulls. I do not know if can be set for 2 stage , at this time it is singel stage pull , I received this gun from Friend that passed away so not sure if 2 stage . the muzzle break I fabricated out pc stainless steel solid stock then had a friend thread on to barrel . it takes some the kick out shooting and I do not use it for spotting . Did this answer some your quastions???

9. PRR1957

Yes.

One more question. Were in the image of the chuck hole/mound is the dead chuck ?

10. Limbo Jimbo

ok I looked at photos . I think I see what you mean on can I sight in with it , that is factory sight on barrel just forward Ove the muzzle break , so yes with out scope or useing higher scope rings it can be used too sight target in , if you like I try send a photo latter today or this week Ove the muzzle break and sight .

11. Limbo Jimbo

I was just setting position up too blow him away in that photo . did not take photo , but in another post I show one his family member that I made a lucky shot with a pistol , he basically walked out the headage row as I was walking stood an looked at me . think I posted it on Bar house form think tat the forum ? I will look . but yes no shortage them suckers here .

12. PRR1957

About fifteen years ago there were whistle pigs abound out here, but as soon as the coyotes established this territory, the chucks numbers started to dwindle. On top of this, land owners will not let me hunt their lands for coyotes. I am waiting for some little kid to get attacked by a coyote, or there small dogs and cats start missing, I am sure these land owners will blow up my phone begging me to kill every one.

shootbrownelk and Limbo Jimbo like this.
  13. Limbo Jimbo

DSCF0030.JPG DSCF0037.JPG DSCF0151.JPG
    you gave me some good info thanks. here coyotes have just shown up few years ago down the county about 10 miles from me , was a few but now they are packing up and can be heard at night howling , farmers I know having problems with chickens sheep etc being attacked . I have seen a few here on farm and one in road hit by car. but ones I have seen are not really large . at the local gun shop I seen a photo Ove one checked in from down the county it was big almost size big German sheared , so yes I think you will be called upon from what is slow spreading here . like the ground hogs' everyone thought they were so nice till they started eating the flowers out the yard's . Now the women look at them as hogs from hell . you have a great day ,also I have 6 trail cam's I time Hog's fox's etc. by once I get track theire movement time's I show up .