24x too Much Scope for .204 Ruger?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by English Bob, Jul 24, 2020.

1. English Bob

English Bob Active Member

I took a long range shooting class in June. I took an LR-308 and a varmint scope. I didn't know everyone else would show up with a gun made for long-distance shooting.

The instructor recommended I get a Vortex Viper Gen II PST 6-24x scope. I made a mistake and bought the first generation. I followed up and bought the right scope. Now I have three choices: send the first scope back, sell it to my buddy for what the seller is willing to pay me for a restock, or keep it and put it on a .204 Ruger bolt gun.

I have dreams of shooting prairie dogs with the .204, but I don't know if I really want 24x for this gun. Seems like it might be too much.

I don't plan to use the LR-308 with the Gen II. I picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle.

Sorry about the extra 5 in the thread title. Can't get rid of it.

One Shot likes this.
  2. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I’ve got a scope like that on my 204 but it sits at 10x most of the time and might get bumped to 14 on occasion but that’s the benefit of a variable power scope. I’d use it.

I’m just using my Ruger No 1 in 30.06 for 1000 yds but I would love to get my hands on a RPR.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Fixed that for you.

4. English Bob

My instructor claimed I could use the .204 for targets at 1000, but I believe it goes subsonic at about 800.

5. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

For hunting I use 3 X 9 or lower powered scope. I have found that I have yet to use 8x or more throughout the years so I bought a 2 X 7. But for target shooting I prefer high mag scopes as they help me shoot smaller groups which I am chasing or see bullet holes depending on distance I am shooting. If you are going to use your 204 for target and prairie dog hunting you should be ok. Just know that depending on environmental conditions the higher the magnification factor the higher atmospheric aberrations appear.

6. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

Keep the 6-24. You can use the 24x to punch paper and a lower power when sitting on a dog town.

Pawpaw40 likes this.
  7. English Bob

I guess I won't return it. If I don't keep it for myself, I can give my buddy a good deal. If I keep it, maybe I'll find a good use for it.

8. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I don't know your age, BUT sooner or later you are going to need a higher power scope. Then again, you will probably end up with a new rifle that's gonna need a scope.