25-06 Barnes bullets

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by TrapperJ, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TrapperJ

TrapperJ New Member

Hello to all. I'm new to the forum. Just looking to get some advice from more seasoned hand loaders out there.
    I'm loading for my hunting rifle at the moment.
    Rem 700 sps 25-06 24" barrel 1:10 twist rate.
    I'm using Barnes ttsx 100gr
    Winchester brass trimmed to 2.485"
    IMR 4831 54gr
    CCI No 200 primers
    Bullets seated to .050 off the lands as per barnes manual.
    Best 3 shot group so far is about 1.109"
    Looking to achieve better but not sure where to adjust. I've only adjusted the powder charge to get me to the grouping I'm at now.
    Small powder adjustments?
    Seating depth adjustments?
    Any input would be appreciated. Happy New year's

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I don't load for 25-06 but I would try the powder adjustments or a different powder all together!

3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. There a lot of different bullet/powder/primer combinations you could try if you're dissatisfied with the group size you've posted. The 1.1" groups are plenty accurate for most any hunting situation out to about 350 yards.

TrapperJ likes this.
  4. m77user

m77user Well-Known Member

My Rem700 SPS likes IMR 4350 better than IMR 4831. It also likes the bullets seated at .025 of the lands. My Ruger 77 however does not like either IMR, it prefers Re 22.

TrapperJ likes this.
  5. TrapperJ

TrapperJ New Member

Is that with barnes bullets as well?

6. m77user

m77user Well-Known Member

Yes. My Ruger also shoots Nosler 115 grain partitions very well.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

8. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

Try seating the bullet further back. I have used Barns X bullets before and some guns chamber throat seem to like that. I believe its the rifling's lead angle that mite be in affect there.

If you have already loaded ammo, take your loading press with the die and two large enough C clamps with you to the gun range and try seating 3-5 bullets back and see if that works.

Every one of the newer Remington 700 SPS's that I have looked it gun stores, do not have a free floated barrel. The plastic (for lack of a better term) stocks forearm tip exerts pressure on the barrel. Some people have had improved results from free floating their barrel.

9. TrapperJ

TrapperJ New Member

Thanks for all the replys guys. I started at 48 gr as per barnes manual and worked my way up to the maximum. Proceeded with caution going a little over the max. Definitely improved over the 52.5 gr charge. I'll try seating the bullets a little deeper like .005 at a time

10. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Your not loading a match bullet. A bit over one inch would suit me fine. You can play around with it and you may get smaller. I've never used Barne's bullet's but I'm sure they are good bullet's. If I did, I'd start with bullet just off the lands And fool with different powder's and primer's long before fooling with seating depth. Actually, I never fool with seating depth. Just off the lands. I don't recall if the 100 gr bullet's I tried in my own 25-06 could reach the lands, sometimes things don't work out the way we'd like. If that's the situation, then I seat the bullet to the base of the neck at the shoulder or one caliber depth. Depends on the mood I'm in!

11. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Barnes bullets don't do well seated close to the lands. They need a jump of atleast .050 off.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Were you chronographing your loads as you were proceeding cautiously?

I would switch powders myself. 4831 can be a good powder in some cartridges, while others it's absolutely horrible.

13. TrapperJ

TrapperJ New Member

No sir I was not chronographing. If I had one I absolutely would. Just don't have one yet. Yea maybe a change in powders so I'll be back in the safe range.
    Currently I have imr 4395, imr 4831, varget, and retumbo.

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I would advise against going over book max. Looking at the cases or primers isn't going to tell you much about pressure until it's usually too late.

Do you live somewhere that requires the use of a monolithic bullet? If not, I would look at traditional cup and core bullets, nosler, hornady or sierra.

I would contact Barnes and see if they have data for IMR4895, IMR4350, reloader 17 or hybrid 100V. If they do, I'd look into one of those powders.

15. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I've never used any of those powders in my 25-06. Best result's I've had is with RL22 and IMR 4350.