.270 90gr. reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Duncan
    (3/5/02 9:33:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All .270 90gr. reloads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm getting a Lee anniversary Kit for my birthday. I figure i can get my wife to "buy" it for my birthday and thus get it in under the "budgetary radar". Midway $59.99. Once I'm into it I can "make up a load" of BS about savings etc and move up in the equiptment and leave the Lee at the vacation house.

Anybody have any experience w/ .270 90gr. reloads?
    I'm thinking varmints and such would really do the ol "flip-flop-fly" when hit with a little rocket like that. I didn't start shooting Hi power until I was 21 so I'm a recoil cupcake too.

Will my Savage (1 in 10") stabilize that light a bullet?

Rocket2Mars
    (4/6/02 9:57:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: .270 90gr. reloads
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used this load years ago in my Remington M700 with good results on Rockchucks. I used W760 powder. As with any ball powder keep the ammo cool. Heat from direct sunlight or a warm chamber will raise pressure. Happy shooting!

jigawhopper
    (4/7/02 11:06:43 pm)
    This is not so much a reply, but rather a closely related question. I have recently acquired a couple hundred speer 100 gr. .270 bullets. The last posting suggested using w760, which I also have an abundance of. The speer manual (and others) suggest using a Mag primer with the w760 as it is a "ball" powder. My other abundance happens to be large rifle primers. Does anyone (Rocket2Mars) have any comments as to the use of w760 without Mag primers ?

Thanks

Hangfire
    (4/8/02 9:50:29 am)
    Jig,
    Before I got my first Speer manuel, I used large rifle primers for loading 760 and H380 with no problems. I now use mag primers because the book recomends it. I don't have a chronograph, so I don't know if you would be losing any velocity by going with standard primers. My understanding is some ball powders need a hotter primer. Somebody else might be along with better advice than mine.

Rocket2Mars
    (4/8/02 2:27:33 pm)
    I agree with Hangfire on use of mag primers with ball powder, at least that is what most manuals call for.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/8/02 9:03:43 pm)
    Rocket2mars and jigawhopper, welcome. I have data on both the 270 90 grains and the 22-250 pet loads for my Ruger. I don't have the data here with me tonight, but can get it tomorrow. The 22-250 makes nice little cloverleaf patterns or smaller.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/8/02 10:42:50 pm)
    i have three loads set up for the 90 grain 270 but have not yet got to test them.