The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off I want to give every one here who helped a big thanks. I'm not sure I could have done it without you.

I first got this rifle and couldn't get the darned thing on paper let alone a decent shot or group. after many go arounds with multiple issues I am happy to say it is dialed in now.

I very diligently loaded up 19 rounds last night in order to do a ladder test. I was so particular I made sure each and every load was dead on accurate in my range from 52 up to 55.6 grains of H4831sc. then I carefully seated all 19 Hornady 150 grain spire points (thanks Highboy) to exactly 2.670"

today was a good range day (sorry you missed it t2s) with temps in the mid 20's with a very slight oncoming breeze and bright sun. a highly positive attitude may have helped too. no coffee or anything to give me jitters prior. I allocated plenty of time and the wife was understanding. I think she saw the determination in my eyes.

carefully holding the rifle I squeezed off all 19 rounds with not a single problem. I let the barrel cool for 3 minutes between shots while my son was having a blast with a .22. after all was said and done I found my pet load and Hell will freeze over before I change anything.

Savage 110, .270, 150 gr. Hornady SP, H4831sc-55gr

now to load up a batch and finish sighting in the scope. look out Bambi. I'm coming for you next fall. how far can you run? I will find you:D

Attachments

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, forgot to add something. things were getting better as I went up the load scale until I hit that 55 gr. mark then it started to go a bit wild. I could tell it sounded better too. almost as if it was talking to me "give me a little more, I am liking this".

now to do the same thing with the Remington 700 .243

words can not explain how stoked I am. kind of like when John Force wins an event

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
What distance? I always do 3 sets of a 3 shot group for each to verify that what happened is accuracy and not a mistake. That is nice shooting. :D

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
hey 68, you dont need to sight the scope in anymore. you can get any animal on the planet with that result

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
The test is not that one bullet is in or near the bullseye. The test is that a three shot group is grouped closely.

·
TFFWPP President
13,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was a "ladder test" done at 100 yds. only one load of each charge. I'll make up 10 or so of that load and head back for further testing.

I get the feeling I need to ignore highboy and listen to gunrunner more. he is nicer ;) LOL

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
it was a "ladder test" done at 100 yds. only one load of each charge. I'll make up 10 or so of that load and head back for further testing.

I get the feeling I need to ignore highboy and listen to gunrunner more. he is nicer ;) LOL
:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts