The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
707 Posts
Why do you guys value the short action over the long so much? Is it just for the reduction in flex, helping accuracy or what? As far as I think ,the 20% power gain doesn't off set the difference in cost when compare to the 270 Win. Am I missing something? Not being a wiseass, just would like to understand, as the 270 Win has served me quite well through the years.
I do not really like the short mags. I like speed. I own a 270 win. 270 Wby and 270 Wsm. The WBY is my favorite and the WSM runs a close second. I have actually been thinking about necking a 264 Win. mag up to 270. The faster, the better.
The Short Mag craze is a gimmic, in my opinion. The ultra mag was the last craze and now the short mag is the craze. From a manufacturing standpoint, a short action caliber is easier to make. The shorter the action, the more forgiving it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can tell you, the 270 WSM is a great gun. I shoot the Tikka T3. GREAT gun. Very accurate. I have shot all my life, nothing in competition but for practice, fun, and hunting.
I used to shoot the .243, and the 30-06. This gun is the most accurate I have shot. I have always been impressed by the accuracy. The reason I got this gun is that the 270 WSM shoots very flat and fast. I sort of wanted to get into shooting long range and get a gun that shot very flat. This gun has impressed me- except the price of the shells... ~$2/shell.
Also, this slick rifle kicks like no other rifle I've ever shouldered up to. Another reason I love this rifle is how lightweight it is. I hunt as much as I can get out there, and this gun is a breeze to tote. Double-edged sword... Like a mule.
I'm no super duper marksman expert, so this gun can shoot better than I can, so it keeps me happy. Its as accurate as I want it to be.

Lightweight. Kicks hard. Costs a bit. Very accurate. Great gun.

mytwocents

21 - 22 of 22 Posts