The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day!
I am new to the forum. Every time I google anything historical about weapons this forum comes up. So you all are the experts!
I have recently obtained a 2nd Gen Iver Johnson and want to ID the year. It’s a .38 crack top full size with the serial number C47867 under neath grip on the frame.

·
Administrator
32,552 Posts
Please read and comply.
Help us help you.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Good day!
I am new to the forum. Every time I google anything historical about weapons this forum comes up. So you all are the experts!
I have recently obtained a 2nd Gen Iver Johnson and want to ID the year. It’s a .38 crack top full size with the serial number C47867 under neath grip on the frame.
The C prefix was used in the 2nd & 3rd Models chambered in. 38 S&W. There were two variations of the 2nd Model that use C prefix, so we can't identify anything without pictures. Take the entire gun and include any pattern stampings you may find.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please read and comply.
Help us help you.

The C prefix was used in the 2nd & 3rd Models chambered in. 38 S&W. There were two variations of the 2nd Model that use C prefix, so we can't identify anything without pictures. Take the entire gun and include any pattern stampings you may find.

Thanks again for the help. Please let me know if you need more pictures.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That helps!
Your revolver is actually a 3rd Model Safety Automatic which was designed for use with smokeless ammunition.
It was made in 1911.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That helps!
Your revolver is actually a 3rd Model Safety Automatic which was designed for use with smokeless ammunition.
It was made in 1911.
No kidding? That’s fantastic! Thanks for the info! I love the history the weapons implications during that time.

Two more questions. Can I shoot the revolver with modern .38 S&W? Where do I post if I have more older guns I have questions on? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
41,631 Posts
Two more questions. Can I shoot the revolver with modern .38 S&W? Where do I post if I have more older guns I have questions on? Thanks
I can't answer the first question, but I can the second one. You will need to start a new thread for each gun you have questions about and you already know about the pictures, lots of good clear pictures BUT please keep in mind that you can put ten pictures in each post.

·
Registered
686 Posts
No kidding? That’s fantastic! Thanks for the info! I love the history the weapons implications during that time.

Two more questions. Can I shoot the revolver with modern .38 S&W? Thanks
Modern factory loaded ammunition is fine to use. The only exception is one of the loadings offered by Buffalo Bore that is meant for use in solid frame revolvers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts