The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shot my 2nd match today. It was rough. I ended up scoring ZERO on the classifier stage because I shot it wrong. It was 1 shot per target not the usual 2shots. I shot twice on the first 5 targets before I realized I had screwed up. The resulting penalties completely wiped out my score. :oops::(

All that being said, I can’t wait for the next one! :bounce:

·
Super Moderator
42,734 Posts
I don't shoot any kind of competition so I don't know squat about any rules BUT maybe you should ask and clarify things before you pull the trigger! Glad you are having a good time with it!!

·
TFF Chaplain
21,233 Posts
When I shoot competitions I frequently double check with the RO to make sure I have the sequence of shots right for that stage. Then I sometimes still mess up...this after several years of shooting competitions. It's the competition equivalent of buck fever.

Enjoy the comps. You will get more comfortable with them and the nerves will calm down. A little. The timer puts the pressure on and that's part of the fun.

Congratulations on getting through it. That video was fun to watch. I could feel some of your frustration. I've had the same feelings when I ran out of ammo at the wrong time and couldn't get reloaded fast enough.

Reactions: WillieB and drymag

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nothing more than the usual "I'm new at this" jitters :)
You can ask the other competitors to film you, 3rd person is usually more informative.

I think you already mentioned getting an ambi safety, that will really make things easier.

For every stage visualize the stage when the shooter before you is shooting, what am I going to shoot where, where do I reload etc. (how many shots :p )
Looking at the shooter before you only distracts you and at that point it is too late to change your stage plan anyway.

·
Super Moderator
29,017 Posts
I don't have the nerve to even think about shooting any competition matches. You may have scored zero, but did you learn anything? That's what counts.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
To clarify, I knew how the stage was supposed to run. One shot on each of the six targets, reload and then repeat the one shot on each target with strong hand only.

For whatever reason, when that timer beeped, my brain shut off and muscle memory took over. Unfortunately my muscle memory thus far has been to shoot each target twice unless it was steel. As I said earlier, I was five targets in when I realized my mistake. Mostly because I had shot all 10 rounds at the first 5 targets and was dry on the 6th. I reloaded and did the one shot each with strong hand only but the damage was already done and the penalties sunk me.

Next time I will try keeping the brain engaged!

Scores are posted. I came in 22nd out of 23 shooters overall. The one guy I beat was the only other Single Stack shooter so as bad as I did, I still won my division again this week. :D

Overall score:

Time: 262.84 seconds

A: 66
C: 14
D: 1
Miss: 6
No Shoot: 1

·
TFF Chaplain
21,233 Posts
Scores are posted. I came in 22nd out of 23 shooters overall. The one guy I beat was the only other Single Stack shooter so as bad as I did, I still won my division again this week. :D
Congratulations on winning your division.

That looks like where I come in with most of our competitions. My excuse is that I'm shooting against some national and international shooters who win trophies on a regular basis.

Reactions: WillieB

·
Registered
915 Posts
After shooting USPSA for the last 19 years, I am convinced that the tone and duration of the start beep is cleverly designed to reset the brain and delete whatever clever plans I may have. You are going to screw up. It happens. Forget a reload, blow by a target, whatever.
The trick is to learn from it, put it behind you and move on. Don't let it live in
your head--it will screw up the next stage or more.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After shooting USPSA for the last 19 years, I am convinced that the tone and duration of the start beep is cleverly designed to reset the brain and delete whatever clever plans I may have.
This has to be the answer! Great..... Now we have a USPSA mind control scandal to cover up. :eek:

:lol:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
WillieB,
What flavor of 1911 are you using ?
What cartridge and is it minor or major ?
What ammo do use, factory or handloads ?

I found a gun club near me that has a shoot twice a month. I’m considering putting together a to compete with. Won’t be a 1911 though. After building five 1911’s over the years and competing with three, I found they do not have a natural point/aim in my hands. Thinking about a CZ or a EAA. Want an alloy or steel frame. No Tupperware comp guns for me.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WillieB,
What flavor of 1911 are you using ?
What cartridge and is it minor or major ?
What ammo do use, factory or handloads ?

I found a gun club near me that has a shoot twice a month. I’m considering putting together a to compete with. Won’t be a 1911 though. After building five 1911’s over the years and competing with three, I found they do not have a natural point/aim in my hands. Thinking about a CZ or a EAA. Want an alloy or steel frame. No Tupperware comp guns for me.
I’m running a Colt Gold Cup Trophy in 9mm. It is actually one of the most accurate guns I’ve ever owned. I shoot far better with it than even my Beretta 92FS which has been my EDC gun for a couple of years now.

Right now I’m using factory ammo. I sold my reloader when we moved. Plan on getting another eventually but since primers are almost as scarce as ammo right now, I’ve been holding off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts