The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Has anyone used 3/8 dovetail to picitanny conversions? I'm having an issue (after 15 years) with my lee enfield .303 no.4 mk1. I currently have a gunsmith installed 3/8 dovetail (it's what was available) but after replacing them I can't get it to sight in. My problem could be the scope, but it's been well cared for or the 3/8 dovetail, before spending more money on a different base has anyone has any experience using conversion rails on something more potent then a .22?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies grcsat, it started only recently, I could not get it to zero at the beginning of hunting season and noticed the old scope rings were bad and replaced them, the scope mount (pictured above) is the original, it was professionally mounted over 15 years ago, I mounted the same scope back on it with the new rings and I would get 2 shots within in an inch followed by one 3inches left then 4 right, all while shooting from a bench rest, I would say it's shooters error but missing by that much with the same grain load and ammunition and target from a bench seems like a lot.

But up until my issues started it was always dead on

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
If it was working properly with the base you have , then your problem will be with loose screws or your scope is going bad.
Try to use a different scope after checking all the screws and see what happens.
How can scope rings go bad ?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
If one 3/8" dovetail is the only attachment point, I don't see how it could hold zero with something as large as a scope mounted on it.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
The width of the dovetail has nothing to do with the holding strength , weather it is 3/8 or 7/8 or one inch. the holding strength is the same.
You have the most common base for the Enfield rifle ever made..( Weaver T03 )
In the past 30 years I have put that very same base on dozens of rifles and have NEVER had a problem. Edit, should have said T-01 Weaver base.

Gary
GRC Gunsmithing

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Gary, I thought the rail was mounted in a 3/8" cut in the barrel on just one end of the rail. My bad lol.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
The width of the dovetail has nothing to do with the holding strength , weather it is 3/8 or 7/8 or one inch. the holding strength is the same.
You have the most common base for the Enfield rifle ever made..( Weaver T03 )
In the past 30 years I have put that very same base on dozens of rifles and have NEVER had a problem.

Gary
GRC Gunsmithing
Gary, T-03 or T-01? or typing fingers that don't follow orders?:)
I know the T-01 is a solid mount, and better than any of the no-D&T Chinese made junk.
waxman, you changed rings, and still have the same problem? I'd bet on the scope going bad too. What make and model is the scope?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I got those same fingers, and the arthritic ones are real belligerent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it was working properly with the base you have , then your problem will be with loose screws or your scope is going bad.
Try to use a different scope after checking all the screws and see what happens.
How can scope rings go bad ?
I did not intially put the scope on but its a simmons 3-9x power with a 40 mm obj, I can't recall which brand of rings either but it had 4 screws with 2 separate tops? Per ring but on the front ring he stripped one of the screws while having one over tightend to the left and the other overtightened right. It held it's zero for years so I never messed with it, I've only recently taught myself how to properly mount level and tighten down a scope.

I tightened the new burris rings I purchased down to their specs if I recall they were 31lbs? But the scope may be going bad, I've never really dropped it or banged it up, but I'm sure it's possible taking it out in the woods, I was just trying to troubleshoot my problems and start with the least expensive options before purchasing another scope

But thank you all for the information I honestly didn't know a 3/8 dovetail would have that kind of holding power considering they mostly are on airguns and .22s

Attachments

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Depending on the quality of the scope, the internal springs can become weak in time.
Some of the Bushnel scopes from the 60s and 70s had that problem.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Pretty ladies always come first!
Your Simmons scope was a $25 scope from Walmart, but was highly rated, and does have the Simmons lifetime warranty.
That was one good thing about them, if you got a lemon out of the box, or it wouldn't hold zero (common), just send it back and they send a new one. I think that scope is discontinued now, so they'll probably upgrade you.
Located in Kansas City, call em.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty ladies always come first!
Your Simmons scope was a $25 scope from Walmart, but was highly rated, and does have the Simmons lifetime warranty.
That was one good thing about them, if you got a lemon out of the box, or it wouldn't hold zero (common), just send it back and they send a new one. I think that scope is discontinued now, so they'll probably upgrade you.
Located in Kansas City, call em.
Thanks for the tip I'll give them a call after Christmas!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts