The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about using 165 grain hornady sst. This is my first elk hunt so any help would be appreciated also the rifle I will be using is a browning bar.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Should be good, I would prefer to use a 180 grain bullet though. I'm partial to Nosler ballistic tip.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
You know me. I like the big boolits. :D

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
If I ever make it out west and do some Elk huntimg, I will be back for a report. And my Savage . 30-06 will be put to the test!
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I was thinking about using 165 grain hornady sst. This is my first elk hunt so any help would be appreciated also the rifle I will be using is a browning bar.
Welcome to the forum! Since this is your first Elk hunt, are you using a guide service?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I will be hunting without a guide, my brothers and my dad will be joining me. Whats a reasonable range for elk? I plan on getting comfortable at 300 yards, is that to far?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Many questions arise.. Have either your father or brother hunted elk before. If so take their advice, if not study up on where and what you will be hunting. Altitude can affect how you feel physically and your ability to estimate distance. Out west in the Rockies the winds can be deceptive; 5mph in your face and at 300 yds totally different. 30-06 is not my favorite but is adequate. I would look at the GMX or Interbond rather than the SST just my opinion. In my 55 years hunting elk in Montana I have seen them killed with anything from a 223 on up. Wherever you go I wish you all the best. Be safe, have fun and shoot straight. May you all harvest an elk and have a long lifetime of great memories.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your 30-06 is fine for elk. If you are using the 165gr because you shoot it better than a 180gr, I would recommend a heavier constructed bullet like the nosler partition, swift a frame, speer grand slam etc. But, I would go with the 180gr. First elk hunt, I would use the best and hardest hitting bullet I could get and would hold together. I hunt elk with a 300wsm and have taken several all with 180gr Nosler partition. Just my .02. Good Luck and I hope you have a successful hunt.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Your 30-06 is fine for elk. If you are using the 165gr because you shoot it better than a 180gr, I would recommend a heavier constructed bullet like the nosler partition, swift a frame, speer grand slam etc. But, I would go with the 180gr. First elk hunt, I would use the best and hardest hitting bullet I could get and would hold together. I hunt elk with a 300wsm and have taken several all with 180gr Nosler partition. Just my .02. Good Luck and I hope you have a successful hunt.
This is great advice. I have never shot an Elk, but I have had many friends that have. The 165 grain will do the job and if that is all I had I would have no problem making it work. However, I would step up to a 180 grain bullet. That's a lot of animal and the quicker you can drop it the better off you will be.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This is great advice. I have never shot an Elk, but I have had many friends that have. The 165 grain will do the job and if that is all I had I would have no problem making it work. However, I would step up to a 180 grain bullet. That's a lot of animal and the quicker you can drop it the better off you will be.
Especially if you have to drag it out and a few extra steps mean it goes off a ravine......

And when you are built like a bean pole, dragging an elk uphill is no easy chore is it?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Use your 30-06 - that's fine. Since this is your first elk, don't get over excited, you obviously want to be as close as possible. 300 yards is a long way and way too far - over a quarter of a mile. 100 yards is much better. You don't want to simply wound the elk and have to chase it down. You want to make sure you get it. Just find the elk, stay down wind and get in as close as possible then take your shot. Be quiet, they hear very well. Elk weigh a LOT so have a plan for getting it out of where you shoot it. Don't waste any of it either. Plan on saving the hide and tanning it also. Elk hide makes wonderful leather. Moose in Finland weigh over 600 lbs. quite often. We took them down and brought them out. Think about it - you are taking down an animal the weight of my horse or more. About the same size as my horse also. You and your brothers and your Dad are not going to simply pick this animal up, sling it over your shoulder and carry it to your pickup from where you find it. You will need hatchets, rope, twine. You will need to cut small saplings and build a sling sledge after field dressing the elk to cut down weight then manually drag it out on your sledge. I recommend you have a low trailer and a winch when you get to your vehicle. Even 4 guys manhandling an elk is not an easy job and can be very well impossible without cutting up the animal into much small pieces in the field.

In Finland we went hunting for moose in groups of 8.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
300 yards is a long way and way too far - over a quarter of a mile. 100 yards is much better.
440 yards is 1/4 mile. I always think of a track around a football field. Both sides are 100+ and the curves are close to that. 4 laps to a mile.

Good advise though. Most people dont think about packing them out. A game cart would be handy and possibly block and tackle if it is steep.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Thank you for pointing out my error. I still think in kilometers (clicks) - was away from my country far too long .. 23 years. I was having a mental block and took 600 yards off the mile. People don't think about packing them out. They think about the score of 'getting' it. There is no point in killing it if you aren't going to bring it out and eat it. 100 meters is a good distance - easy enough to get to and choose the terrain. I never even shoot a deer here at much over 100 meters. When I shoot deer it is me and my wife or me and a friend. Only the two of us to bring it out and after field dressing still may weigh 150 lbs. or more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WHSmithIV thanks for the info. Where is Moore at in relation to Salmon? The reason I ask is that I will be hunting out of Salmon and was curious about the elk population in that area? Also I thought about bringing a Ruger gp-100 6inch for backup. Any suggestions about bullets for 357? One last thing, should we have to worry about wolves after killing an elk or wolves in general?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
WHSmithIV thanks for the info. Where is Moore at in relation to Salmon? The reason I ask is that I will be hunting out of Salmon and was curious about the elk population in that area? Also I thought about bringing a Ruger gp-100 6inch for backup. Any suggestions about bullets for 357? One last thing, should we have to worry about wolves after killing an elk or wolves in general?
The area around Salmon is a beautiful area and in some places very flat. Problem to that is the flat area is at somewhere close to a 45 to 60 degree angle to the sun.:eek: :eek:hmygosh: Definitely get in shape. There shouldn't be a problem with Wolves. Check with the local fish and game officer to get more accurate information. The fish and game people here in Idaho have always been very helpful to almost everyone I have spoke with. Should you not have it, the number for the Salmon office is 208-756-2271. I have shot several Elk with a 270 using 150 grain grand Slam bullets. I personally would hesitate on a 300 yard shot with even a 30-06 using a 165 or 180 grain bullet. Having said that a lung shot will kill one at that distance. He may also live say 15 to 30 seconds before he collapses. Now that does not sound like a long time. Watch just how fast a dog can cover a lot of ground in 15 to 30 seconds. That wounded Elk can travel that far and even more. Down hill is almost always a wounded animal travels. Now I did not say none travel uphill but in my experience mostly they travel down hill. Is that going to be in a huge canyon? A 200 yard shoulder shot with the 165 grain will at a minimum break the shoulder and maybe even the off shoulder. Normally that will anchor the animal. The Gp100 is fine even if you have a problem with a Wolf. Would even work for a final shot a close range to finish off your Elk. Either way good luck and have a safe and great hunt.:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts