30/30 for pig??

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Mar 18, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

stogieboy
    (3/13/03 9:19:25 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 30/30 for pig??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am new to hunting, and was curious if I'd be OK hunting pig in Norhtern California with a Marlin lever action 30/30. Am I off base? On the right track?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/13/03 10:28:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 30/30 for pig??
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You'll be OK - fine rifle and good cartridge. Just don't try to shoot further than 200 yds - the ol' thuty-thuty has a trajectory akin to a thrown baseball.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

MTaylor
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/14/03 8:36:16 am)
    That's what I use...although in Win 94. Of course, my longest shot in East Texas is about 30 yards...

Dinkydo
    (3/14/03 9:42:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: 30/30 for pig??
    30/30 is fine, have taken pigs in AZ. with my 94

stogieboy
    (3/17/03 9:56:55 am)
    Hey thanks for the info folks. Looks like I'm on the right track so far. I actually don't own the Marlin 336 yet, but plan to purchase one in the coming days.

Do people put a scope on a Marlin 336? Are they outfitted for a scope? Is it necessary?

Thanks again for your help.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/17/03 1:07:58 pm)
    All those questions depend on how good your eyes are, what ranges you're shooting at and the degree of accuracy you're trying to achieve.

Yes, many people put scopes on Marlin 336 rifles.

Yes, the receiver is tapped and then plugged with blank screws which allow the attachment of either scope mounts or rear receiver sights (peep type).

Is it necessary? Well, most folks buy 30-30 Marlin 336's for fast shooting at short (muzzle to 100 yd) ranges and are perfectly content with the factory supplied open sights. Others feel the need for the more precise optic sight because of eyes no longer able to pick up the front and rears sights, plus the target, all at the same time. Also, some like the more accurate shot placement that can be had with a scope.

The addition of a scope will change the saddle gun type balance and handling to a degree. Also, detracts from the romantic image of what a lever gun is supposed to look like.

I have a 1895LTD Marlin in 45-70. Aging eyesight required the addition of a scope.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

2. Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter Member

Hey Warpig, If ya run across any more lookin for good cal's. to hunt hog with Check this site out, Thats what he does for a living. Plus lots of other helpful info for new and old hog hunters alike.
    http://www.texasboars.com/hunting~index.html

3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hi, Txquadhunter.

That site is a good one and very informative. Thanks.