30-30 vs .223 bump in the night

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Film495, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Film495

Film495 Well-Known Member

I have a 30-30 and am looking to get a .223 with probably an 18.5 inch barrel. I believe my Win 94 barrel is right around 18 inches. Mentioning length for maneuverability inside.

I was thinking the .223 would eclipse the use of 30-30 for my home defense, heard someone downstairs smashing through the bulkhead into my basement or whatever. I have a little .38 special I keep loaded, although locked in a cabinet, but my plan would be if I have time to load up a rifle that is what would be happening as 911 was being dialed.

The 30-30 I believe is a 7 round mag, but a .223 (I'm thinking Mini-14, but don't have one yet) can hold a 20 or 30 round magazine. I like the idea of the .223 because of the rounds it can hold and the rounds are cheaper to use and practice with. This to me is the best caliber for average folks to have a small store of for long term emergency planning. So, eventually I'll probably get one for this purpose. Maybe an AR15, but this isn't a this vs. that question between AR15 and Mini-14.

So, what I really didn't know - and I looked up some details on the ballistics, is the 30-30 is not a wound you type of round like the .223 seems to be. I have a couple 20 gauge shotguns, but in all honestly they are so long, they are difficult. Although - now that I think of it - the featherlight Ithaca has a 2nd barrel that was cut a little shorter, think 18.5 inches if I recall from measuring it a year or so ago, but again limited in the number of rounds it can hold.

So, anyways - what I'm getting at is, would the extra rounds be better or the extra foot pounds of a 30-30, or even a 20 gauge be better? It isn't really realistic IMO that one would need more than 7 rounds, but I'm just curious what other people do or how they approach these type of questions. I think about it because - it is very unlikely I would ever need anything, but - if I did there isn't much margin for error so I try to think it through.

jim brady, carver and shootbrownelk like this.
  2. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It depends where I am in the house. I always have a loaded firearm either on me or within arms length. I have my 12ga loaded for dual purpose a mix of 00 and slugs ( I live on the path of some troublesome Black Bears), .45acp, on side table in living room, .40s&w on night stand, .380 in bathroom, 32acp in pocket at all times. Rifles are a last resort but all are loaded and handy.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Get you a 1911 in .45 and don't worry about barrel length of .223 or 30-30.;):)

vizslas 1, jim brady, gvw3 and 10 others like this.
  4. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

Get an AR pistol platform with a brace, best of both.

carver and shootbrownelk like this.
  5. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

People may get a false sense of security believing that extra rounds will keep them safe. The only reason that I can think of that you may need extra rounds for are simple: First you miss a lot or you are expecting a group of people to invade your home. When a home invasion happens many many times you only have seconds to react and if you have not trained yourself to defend in hand to hand tactics it is a good possibility that you may never get a chance to reach for your home defense firearm. So having a rifle with a 100 round magazine will do you no good if you can't defend yourself physically. But in reply to your question I would feel safe with the 30-30. But if maneuverability is a key factor for you I would recommend as some one else suggested the venerable 1911. I carry one but by side when I sleep is a FNX tactical that hold 15 45 acp in the magazine. I also have a 20 gauge shot gun by my bed and guns all over the house that I can defend against an immediate home invasion regardless of where I happen to be in the house, and one on my side all the time. Fortune favors the prepared.

6. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto here but I keep a Ruger KP98 on my nightstand (9mm) as opposed to my 1911 as I’m just more familiar with it (I can run it in my sleep ;)) and it’s a DA so I don’t have to take the time to rack the slide. That’s there in case someone happens to get to my room without waking the dogs and I don’t have time to get to the closet that’s two steps away and retrieve my Winchester 1897 12 gauge that’s full of 00 buckshot. FYI wife keeps a .38 Special on her side of the bed. I figure that should do it as far as “right now” home defense. Now if I have 60 seconds I can get to my gun safe and unleash a world of hurt on the bastards that try and get in my home.

7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Don't forget sunglasses. I have an AK pistol with brace: muzzle flash can probably be seen from low orbit, and I can just imagine the thing really lighting up a darkened room. :)

ms6852, jim brady, carver and 3 others like this.
  8. Film495

Would you rather have a 30-30 with a pocket or bag full of extra ammo, or an AR15 .223 with a couple 20 round mags?

Say, you see two cars pull up to your house in the middle off the night, and you're not sure how many people there are, but the first couple guys to get out look like they are up to no good and scummy and on drugs. You see a firearm on one of them. It appears you may have to defend yourself, which rifle do you pick? You only have those 2 rifles; but, plenty of extra ammo for both.

I say rifle because if you're seriously going to defend yourself and others - and have the opportunity to have a carbine length rifle or handgun (I do have a handgun, but there are scenarios that escalate quickly past where a handgun would be most effective IMO), a carbine is just going to be more effective than any pistol available for accuracy and ability to disable a threat.

You back yourself into a safe room with your family behind you as your wife is talking to 911 - which rifle are you holding? better yet, you fire a warning shot at one of the cars to see if you can get them to flee the scene, which rifle are you holding, the .223 or 30-30? You have both available to you - why did you make your choice? One has more energy per round, but the other has more rounds much faster. Say you are equally skilled with both, and they are equipped the same, sights, anything custom etc.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

No contest - the AR would be my first choice in that scenario. The AR can hold 30 rounds and it takes 2 seconds to change magazines.

How many rounds does the 30-30 hold? How long does it take to reload the 30-30?

10. Film495

Magazine tube is 7 rounds can also put one in chamber. Each cartridge is loaded individually, but is relatively quick, and you can reload on the fly - if you shoot 2, you can add 2 as you go; lever action Winchester 94.

I've never been in combat of any type - so, what I read and hear is .223 is considered underpowered by the military - and they are looking at cartridges that are slightly larger between .223 and .308 - and in many places it is too underpowered to hunt deer with it - so, since I have little to no experience, but am planning for worse case scenarios, seeking input. If you shoot an attacker in the chest with a .223, they may continue to shoot back, or come at you. I'm pretty sure if you defend yourself with a 30-30 they are done attacking. However, a semi-auto is so fast you could shoot them 3 times.

Maybe it is what is the saying - six of one half dozen of the other.

11. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

All interesting choices. To me it depends on your location and what kind of situation you're faceing. I love my 1911, I have several other options in handguns. I was told once that a handgun was just the means to survive until you can get to a rifle.
    The .223 or 30/30 will both get the job done. A lever action 30/30 can be "combat loaded" just like a SD shotgun with practice. It fended off rustlers and hostiles for near a century before the invention of the AR. You can pick up a short barreled SD shotgun designed for exactly your needs without breaking the bank. Not throwing stones at the AR, I have some myself.
    Any of the weapons will get the job done used correctly. Practice and accuracy are your allies. One of the mot famous gunfighters who ever lived once said "fast is nice but accuracy is everything."

soundguy, carver and shootbrownelk like this.
  12. Film495

When I get the .223 I'll probably practice with it more - and thus it will move the 30-30 further back in the safe as ammo costs a lot more. I guess once I have both and have a feel for both then I can pick. I only want to keep one at the ready so to speak; granted behind a locked door.

13. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There’s a reason we got creamed against the Mauser in the Spanish-American War while using the slow to reload Krag. A .223 may have some limitations but it’s the best we have at the moment.

jim brady, carver and shootbrownelk like this.
  14. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

You can have a 100 scenarios and every scenario will require a different respond, but I know one thing for sure, the warning shot I shoot will take someone down. If I may I would like to give everyone a tip. I have a 2000 sq ft. home and it is only me and my wife. My bedroom is my safe room and my closet is well stocked to defend ourselves should we ever get surprised by an intruder. There is a hallway leading to our room and the door to the bedroom is fortified, you will not kick it open. I have baby monitors that will alert me if some one breaks in from either entrances to the house. I am getting older and I am not the spry young man I was 40 years ago in the military but I also did not get old by being stupid. Fortune favors the prepared.

vizslas 1, Arteest, carver and 5 others like this.
  15. zant

zant Well-Known Member

I would have no problem with a 30/30 for home defense...as long as there is a place to mount a flashlight....they are setup for a sling already.I would use a light round that does'nt over penetrate.But I prefer my 12.5 Sig beside the bed.

carver likes this.