30-30 vs .223 bump in the night

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Film495, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Film495

Film495 Well-Known Member

It came up in the thread a little, but not in the way that I thought - in terms of explaining it after and politics and all of that. I thought for sure someone would jump in and say it would look better to have used my grandfathers old deer rifle, vs. a modern AR, but nobody seemed to go down that path. This is the reason I'm leaning toward a Mini-14 vs. and AR15 for a purchase, because with a wood stock and a 5 round clip - it does look just like and old hunting rifle, but can hold larger clips if desired.

carver likes this.
  2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think everyone would agree that if that’s truly your feeling then you shouldn’t have a gun for self defense. So you pull your gun to intimidate and scare off the bad guy just what do you think is going through his mind? He’s thinking “this guys going to kill me!” Not everyone would run off in fear being in that scenario, in fact, I’d guess anyone who would enter your house at night knowing you and your family are home are prepared to deal with you should you come up with a gun. So the BG sees you with your gun and decides to defend himself with his own gun. Believe me he’s not just going to try and wound or scare you, he’s going to blow you away. I think it a foolish proposition to draw a gun on anyone unless you’re fully committed to killing them. Do as you wish and good luck.

3. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I knew two guys back in the '60s who felt that simply showing their weapon would be sufficient. One was shot and killed with his own S&W Model 15, the other was beaten to a pulp with his Browning Hi Power - if still alive he probably has the cognitive capacity of turnip.

4. Film495

Maybe I left too much room for interpretation. Granted, I'm not interested in ever shooting at anyone with the intent to kill them. I would do so - but, my goal and intention would be to disable an immediate threat. If they did not make it - that would be a tragedy, and possible result, but not my goal or intention to shoot at someone with the intention to kill. That sounds like a criminal act to me. It is semantics, but I would shoot with the intent to defend myself, not with the intention to kill anyone.

carver likes this.
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Remember this phrase for when you're being grilled by a grand jury - and you will be if you shoot someone: "I wanted to STOP him from hurting or killing me". Not "disable him", not "kill him", but "STOP him".

carver, SilasW, shootbrownelk and 2 others like this.
  6. zant

zant Well-Known Member

You really need to study the laws of YOUR state.Defending yourself is never a criminal act....if you think you have to justify it to yourself...hire a bodyguard,you should'nt be carrying.

carver, Shooter45, SilasW and 4 others like this.
  7. Film495

Good point. I've also heard you should say nothing when calling the authorities other than to report shots fired and get them there. Defer, ask for medial attention and trauma counceling, don't speak until you have a lawyer working for you. Same for your family members, claim trauma, ask to go to a hospital - and ask for a lawyer.

carver and shootbrownelk like this.
  8. zant

zant Well-Known Member

NEVER talk to the police-clam up/lawyer up.....

9. Film495

Very gun friendly state. You'll still have to justify any use through your lawyer and heaven forbid the media takes a liking to your story no matter how cut and dry.

carver likes this.
  10. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

There is no one absolute correct choice for any scenario that you may face. What is wrong here will be indecisiveness and a lack of action. I command you that you don't want to shoot anyone even if it means your life, but I assure you that it applies to all of us...we don't want to shoot anyone either because that implies we are in a scenario where deadly force is required. If you are going to be indecisive it is just as good as not owning a weapon. Than maybe martial arts is something you need to take. But in a scenario as you have described where two cars with who knows how many people in them but one of them has a gun your best bet is call 911 and tell them that there are armed men outside your driveway and you fear for your life. Hopefully you will have your rifle or gun in hand. If you have a wife and children do you want to worry about the legalities of taking someone's life or do you want to live the rest of your life with the loss of a wife or a child that you could have protected but decided not too. Truth of the matter is no one including myself will ever know how we will react until we are tested.

carver, Grizzley1 and Firpo like this.
  11. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Some folks are like Ron White says, You had the right to remain silent....but you didn't have the ability. Shut your Pie Hole until you get a lawyer.

carver and ms6852 like this.
  12. Firpo

Oh @ms6852 I’m confident I know how you’d react and pity the fool that would try and come in your house with ill intent. Great points.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  13. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

:yikes::machinegunner:

carver and Firpo like this.
  14. Film495

Nope. I was just trying to make it clear - that killing someone is not nor will ever be my intention. I'm pretty sure I'll act quickly and decisively to defend myself in the face of a lethal and immediate threat. I'm just trying to differentiate clearly between wanting to defend myself, and wanting to kill someone. I absolutely want to and will defend myself with no hesitation, want to shoot and kill anyone for any reason - not on my list. If an intruder ends up not making it - that is a possible consequence, but killing them is not and will no way ever be something I am trying to do.

15. Firpo

Glad you cleared that up @Film495 as you can imagine we get lots of folks here and wouldn’t believe the crazy things people say. “I’ll just try and wound them” or “I’ll take my gun out to scare them away” are not uncommon to hear and a good way to get yourself killed. Aim center mass till they stop presenting a threat which to me is moving any part of their body.

accident, carver and ms6852 like this.