30-30 vs .223 bump in the night

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Film495, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Film495

Film495 Well-Known Member

and you have removed their weapon from them …

carver likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Kick it away from their body and put your gun down before the police arrive or you will probably end up being a statistic yourself!

3. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Without knowing your exact situation I can only really give broad generalizations, but I'll hit some high spots and you can take it for what it is.
    1. There is a very good reason why many people believe shotguns to be the best in home defense options. A scattergun can easily be "combat loaded." With several options in loading, one gun can be tailored to your situation quite easily. The newer shorter shotguns, are easily maneuverable in tight corners. Inside the home there's no need to worry about being out of range. Can even strategically place shells about the house for reloading on the fly.
    2. Dogs are the absolute best in early warning and threat detection. I have two fairly large dogs, messing with them is enough to give most people pause.
    3. A rifle is a great tool for some, but if you have close neighbors, or others in the house, serious over penetration is worth considering. Remember, you are responsible for each and every bullet exiting the muzzle until they stop. There's a very real chance of a rifle round passing completely though it's intended target and hitting something, or more importantly someone, else. And even in a justifiable shoot, hitting a bystander can, and most likely will, result in charges against you.
    4. Long guns are great, but when time is of the essence, a pistol is fast. I keep my EDC by the bed when I'm asleep, I practice with it the most, and I'm comfortable with it.
    Now, in a pistol there's an option known as frangible ammunition. Honor defense markets their brand, I've handled and shot some of it, seems like pretty good stuff. Supposed to stop when it hits walls. I haven't put it to the test yet,, but do plan to buy a few boxes of it and really do some serious testing before long. This is just all the ramblings of a tired man, so take it with a grain of salt.

4. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And keep your hands in plain sight.

5. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I commend you on not wanting to kill someone, for any reason. I feel the same way. But the reality is that in a home invasion, or even just a mugging, the bad guys (BG) might be on dope, and a shot to the leg, arm, or even the body, won't stop them. You don't shoot to KILL you shoot to STOP the threat. If the BG should die from his injuries, that's his fault for being in your home. Shoot center mass, never at the limbs, they are to small of a target to hit reliably. Center mass is the target you want to shoot at, and is the largest part of the human body, so hits are a little easier. Don't think of the BG as a person, think of him as a raging bear. If you don't stop him he will stop you.

6. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Too much semantics.
    Shoot to kill and shoot to stop are the exact same thing.
    Someone breaks into your house and you think they are there to do you harm and you're armed.
    So pull the gun and aim it at the perp. You don't ever point a gun at what you don't want to shoot. You don't ever shoot what you don't intend to kill.
    So you shoot until he stops. When does he stop? Either dead or near enough to it to be considered dead.

7. MAUSERMYAR-15&ME

MAUSERMYAR-15&ME New Member

If you like, I'll post in the AR-15 forum how I pimped my M&P15 Sport 2 for max reliability, accuracy, and ergonomics., too. And the AR-15, Mini-14, M-1 carbine and HI-Point .45 carbine are wise choices for home defense, too.

Wise Man

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2019
    carver likes this.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have homes on both sides of mine. They both have kids. I would never use a rifle in my situation. The last thing I would ever want to do would be to shoot my neighbor's kids.

I use my carry gun for self defence at home. My 9mm S&W Shield. I use self defence rounds to limit it going through walls. I do keep my Benelli Nova shotgun handy also.

I would also shoot center mass. I don't want to kill anyone either but I would do what is needed to stop the threat.

9. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My goal would never be to kill anyone, only to stop the eminent threat to my life and the life of my loved ones.

How’s that sound?

Alaska444, ms6852, carver and 2 others like this.
  10. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

The ar-15 using those Hornady TAP FPD 55gr defensive rounds are supposed to break up and supposedly won't travel outside home. But the heavier gr defensive rounds will travel from a conversation I had with Hornady 2-3 years ago. Since then they have come out with a 62 gr. I have never tested or googled to see if that was true. I imagine you tube might have that information for a reality check.
    Evidently not all frangible rounds will stay in the house. I think we may of had a thread on that before.

Attached Files:

ms6852, carver and joe45c like this.
  11. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

Given the choice between a .30-30, .223 or your 20 gauge I'd have to pick the 20 gauge for home defense loaded with #4 buckshot.

12. mikemild13

mikemild13 Member

I highly recommend looking up USCCA. They offer insurance in case you have to use deadly force and they also offer a lot of training videos, articles, tools, etc. to help you decide what would be best to suit your individual needs. If you are not looking to spend money for such things, keep researching and you will find that if you ask 50 experts, you will get 50 different answers. My two cents is use what you know how to use, and use well, make sure you have lighting to identify what you are aiming at whether it's a bunch of glow sticks you can throw in to rooms or down the stairs, or a flashlight, and practice for every scenario your mind can think of. Roll on the floor with your weapon, jump out of bed acting like you're in a panic, aim from behind doors, under beds, in the bathroom, sitting in your recliner watching TV, and do it when it's light out, and when it's completely dark. But most importantly, think about where you are aiming at any given time so you know the trajectory path.

carver and ms6852 like this.
  13. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

Ultimate home defense weapon in my opinion is an integrally suppressed 300 BO SBR, 9" barrel, with an adjustable stock, weapon light, vertical foregrip and red dot sight. Using 230 gr. subsonic, expanding bullets, it would be equivalent to a 45 acp, and it would not make you deaf. Handy enough to use within a home, yet more accurate than a pistol. No muzzle flash to blind you, the 300 BO round burns up all the powder within the first 9" of barrel.

carver and AaronW like this.
  14. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

I have a pistol at 8.5" with no can. But I'm loading with 125gr hunting rounds. Fiocchi loaded with Hornady SST. I have brick houses on either side but hopefully with a red dot mounted "pistol" I will not miss a center mass shot at 10-20 feet at most. Looking at a can down the line but for now I have electronic muffs sitting right next to the "pistol". I pray it never shoots in anger. I've thought of a 12ga but honestly I'd need to train with it a lot more. Sure a shotgun is simple but until I am not worried about short stroking it under duress I'll leave it as a backup. The AR has 28 rounds in a magazine and I just have to pull the trigger. Maybe I need a semi auto shotgun.

carver and shootbrownelk like this.
  15. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

I agree.

My EDC Sig 229 in 40 is next to me without getting out if bed. If enough time permits, I have an AR with several 30 round magazines in my nightstand but I have to get out of bed to access it. Home invasions with 3-5 people seems to be common. The AR is a proven stopper in these circumstances.

carver and shootbrownelk like this.